XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Cruise Not Available

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 12:08 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Cruise Not Available

Hello all. Usually I'm in the S-type forum since we have a STR, but, I just picked up a 05 XJ Super V8 on Saturday (I"ll post about this later as I just drove it back from Toronto and my brain is still a little tired from the drive). Wonderful car, everything works, but the ACC. Now I have read a few threads but my issue is a little different I think (maybe not, like I said, brain still foggy). I have no warning, no lights, everything looks fine, until I try to turn on the cruise. So basically, all is well driving down the road, hit the cruise and get CRUISE NOT AVAILABLE on the dash. Few seconds later it goes away and life is good again. Now, first thing that came to my tired brain was new battery, and I will get one. Just wanted to get the gurus opinions and this as most of what I have read involves a constant CRUISE NOT AVAILABLE message, unless I'm not understanding what people have said in my sleepless state! Any advice or pointing in the right direction will be much appreciated as I will be diving into getting everything right with the car this week after I'm well rested and know what I'm doing so I don't brake something. Now, back to bed for me.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Received 13,425 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Originally Posted by WinterJag
So basically, all is well driving down the road, hit the cruise and get CRUISE NOT AVAILABLE on the dash. Few seconds later it goes away and life is good again. Now, first thing that came to my tired brain was new battery, and I will get one.

Hi WinterJag,

Congratulations on your Super V8! What awesome motorcars they are.

Regarding your cruise issue, it is quite possible that it is related either to a weakening battery or corrosion on one or more of the connections in the battery power circuitry. My recommendation would be to have your Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) scanned because you will probably find some clues in the codes that are stored.

Common codes may tell you that the Adaptive Cruise Control module (ACC) is obstructed or needs to be leveled, a problem in the circuitry for the cruise control switch, or internal failure of the ACC module itself (pray that's not your problem because they are expensive).

The X350 Workshop Manual is available for download from this forum in six sections and it contains a full diagnostic procedure for troubleshooting the ACC. See the 'HOW TO' quick links on the home page of this X350 forum.

Reading the ACC-related codes requires a system capable of accessing the proprietary Jaguar codes. If you have a laptop computer, you can set yourself up with a Mongoose clone OBDII-to-USB interface cable and JLR SDD software, the same system used by Jaguar dealer service techs. There are several options available. I purchased the cheapest one I could find at $50, and it works well with only an occasional glitch.

Please let us know what codes you find.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (03-09-2015), EssOess (06-20-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the advice. I already have all the workshop manuals and such and since we now have two Jags, I have already figured I should get my hands on a Mongoose and SDD software, which I've already found and just have to order. As for codes, until I get my SDD, all I have is my generic scanner, and no surprise, no codes present. I am hoping its just a bad connection or battery so once I have recovered from the trip I'm going to check all the connections and battery. Then if that doesn't do it, I should have my SDD by then and I'll check out what the car is telling me. I'll keep everyone up to date and in a day or two share all about my wonderful new ride!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:52 PM
Received 269 Likes on 202 Posts

Is this the one that was for sale in Ajax?

Old 03-09-2015, 10:10 PM

Actually it was. You know the car?

Old 05-29-2015, 08:26 PM

Alright, I know its been a while, but I finally have some info to add. If you have seen my other thread about my mongoose clone acting up and all that fun stuff you'll know why this took so long to get too! Anyway, still haven't gotten the replacement, but with some big cross country trips coming up, I decided to reach out to those here again for help. Big thanks again to rickpwilson for lending me the use of his cable again.
So scanned the car, and now have somewhere to go. First off, the ACC module communicates perfectly with the car, so big relief there. Second, only one code relevant to the issue:

P2583 - Cruise Control Front Distance Range Sensor Single Sensor or Center

or something to that effect (can't fully remember). Now, I am going to start digging into this, but thought I'd put it out there to all you experts first to use your bottomless wealth of knowledge! Other than this one code, there seems to be absolutely nothing else wrong with the ACC, or the rest of the car for that matter, so I hope its something easy, even if it means a reflash of the module.
Now, I'm going to start doing my part and research all I can. However, with tomorrow being my anniversary, I don't think my wife will be happy with me spending all of it with the car, so, it may be a little while before I get back to this. So until then, any and all thoughts, ideas, comments welcome!

Old 05-31-2015, 02:48 PM

So, back to it now! From my searching of the workshop manuals and the like, it seems that this points to the radar sensor behind the front bumper.
P2583 - FLR Sensor Data - Sensor or CAN circuit fault
SO it looks like something is acting up with the radar unit. I know my system is the ACC3 setup so it has the separate ACC control module separate from the sensor, so I guess that makes life a little easier when it comes to finding a replacement if I need one. I looked at the pinpoint tests and they seem easy enough so I plan to go through them this week to see if there is a break in the link. I'm also going to make sure to check the ground connector and fuses related to the system, again. I did check them a while ago but now that I know the problem, can't hurt to check again.
Now, if it comes to finding a replacement FLR sensor, which ones are compatible? I found on another post that anything from a 05+ XJ, the last S-types and XK's from 07 on should work. What about the range rover ones? They are the same aren't they? But I don't want to get ahead of myself yet. First I'll do the testing and confirm if its a bad sensor module or not. Also, does anyone know if this thing can be re-flashed? Or is it the ACC module itself that can be. I've read that some people replaced the sensor and just plugged then new on in and all was well.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:59 PM

UPDATE: Alright, so after confirming it was the single code related to the radar sensor, I did all the pinpoint tests to check the wiring. Everything is fine with the harness. So, the radar unit is bad. Took it off, then decided to take it apart (can't brake something that's already broken!). Well, the internals look to be absolutely perfect, but the connection pins are another issue. When I removed the connector plug, two of the three pins were so corroded they fell apart and broke into several pieces. Looks like that could be the issue as to why it lost communication and sensor data from the radar. The plan now, to replace the bad pins and see if it works. My dad is working on it today (I don't have a place to work, that's what I hate about a condo) and said he can replace the pins with some like material and then we'll see what happens! I have seen so many old electronics on cars in worse shape than my radar sensor and they kept working, so bad pins=bad connection=no ACC. At least that was my thought processes! Now, I've got two cross country trips coming up in the next two weeks so I am also trying to disable the ACC to get normal cruise (another issue with that but I'm in the process of getting some help with that) so I can use it on the trips, but I'm hoping the new pins in the connector on the radar unit will fix the issue. Time will tell and I'll keep you all up to date! Who knows, this may be an easy fix for others with this problem.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:53 PM

Well, to wrap this up, its fixed! Rebuilding the radar sensor modules pin connections worked perfectly. I did take a few pics and I'll put them up as soon as I can to show people what I did and maybe it'll help others!

The following 2 users liked this post by WinterJag:
Don B (06-14-2015), Partick the Cat (06-14-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

My cruise control works on some days and has a mind of its own. There are no fault codes or warning lights, but when it decides to work, I can feel a brief surge of power under the gas pedal upon pressing the cruise set button, then all is well until the next engine start.

When it works I get 30-31 highway MPG.

Cheers
Wolfy

Old 06-18-2015, 08:16 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
My cruise control works on some days and has a mind of its own. There are no fault codes or warning lights, but when it decides to work, I can feel a brief surge of power under the gas pedal upon pressing the cruise set button, then all is well until the next engine start.

When it works I get 30-31 highway MPG.

Cheers
Wolfy
Mine did the same. It ended up being a battery going out for me.