XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Cruise Not Available P1111 ECM

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:38 PM
Received 120 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Cruise Not Available P1111 ECM

Suspect this has been addressed, but I couldn't seem to locate something that looked similar to this:

6 months ago got a "CRUISE NOT AVAILABLE" message. Since it was about time for the battery warranty to expire, I purchased a new one. Message stayed on for about 50 miles and then disappeared.

Now, it has reappeared. Car runs perfectly otherwise; but, I assume cruise will not work.

Using OBDLink SX, I get:

P1111
Type: Powertrain Manufacturer Controlled DTC
Description: Engine Control Module ECM internal error
Cause: ECM

When I clear the codes, I then get P1000 which, I assume, means that there are no other error codes.

How do I fix this?

Thanks.

Last edited by 04Xjrsteve; 02-23-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:53 PM
Default Further Research On This Forum

PART LJB6420BB. "Switch-brake PE Switch"

Boomesaurus from a few years ago had the above part replaced and it fixed the problem. Further along in the same post one of this forum's excellent moderators gave a detailed description on how to replace...

So, does anyone know if my OBDLink SX is the right reader for finding codes? Maybe I'm not using it properly? I only got the 1111 code for ECM?

What reader would you recommend for the 04 xjr?

Old 02-24-2016, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

You've UNfixed it LOL

If you looked, you'd have found a zillion posts explaining P1111 (and also P1000) or you could get the free download workshop manual which has all the codes.

P1111 is normal. You've forced the car to have unset OBD monitors and so long as it relearns without pain your P1000 will go back to P1111. (Really hope that happens!)

OBD intends that people NOT clear codes except after a fix.

BTW P1111 & P1000 are pending not actual codes so neither of itself affect such as inpections.

The following users liked this post:
04Xjrsteve (02-29-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Default OBDLink SX

OK, thanks, JagV8.

Will do more research on the site this weekend.

I am encouraged by your message that perhaps the OBDLink SX is the correct reader?

I had read that 1111 was to be disregarded, but on my laptop it gave it as an ECM error.

I wonder if recent models might have a built-in code reader. In this day & age, it seems archaic to have to waste so much motion on something that is known within the car.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,396 Likes on 1,889 Posts

If the brake switch does not fix it it might be the clock spring?

Do you have any other problems like the radio volume or changing stations?

04Xjrsteve (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 09:18 PM

Thanks, Clubairth1,

Actually, I'm waiting on info from the folks who sold me the reader to see if I have the proper software to read the codes. It is my sense that I don't.

Since I haven't gotten the codes, I'm reluctant to proceed with the switch, etc.

However, the other day, it did seem that I had to turn the volume on the radio more than usual. May be my imagination, but I will pursue your idea.

Is anyone reading this familiar with what software I should have with the OBDLINK SX(I use it with a Windows laptop) Seems there are 2 pieces of software on the website; I find the descriptions vague.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,396 Likes on 1,889 Posts

No help on the OBDLINK SK but I have a similar problem with my scan software ScanXL. Seems like it is NOT being updated at all and no newer year models are being added. Little to no tech support too. So you never can find out anything!

I can't find anything except very expensive pro level software that keeps up and is supported. So I am still using Scan XL but I am afraid it is pretty much dead.

Seems like everything is going to subscription based pricing which is very expensive for a home guy!

On the P1000 and P1111 codes. If you need to emission check your car you need P1111 as this tells us the system monitors are in the ready state. When you wipe the codes you also wipe the readiness monitor status. So now you have P1000. To convert P1000 to P1111 takes what they call a "Drive Cycle" to set the 5 monitors. Now sometimes this is not quick or easy to do and can take a lot of normal driving to happen.

Note that neither of theses codes will set a check engine light.

You can look up the drive cycle on the internet and try to follow that to speed up setting the monitors. So unless you need to inspect the car don't worry about either code. I do a quick scan before I go get my inspection just to check if I have P1111. No point in going until you have that.

Last edited by clubairth1; 02-25-2016 at 07:34 AM.
04Xjrsteve (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 01:06 PM

Thanks again Clubairth1. No need for an inspection. Checked it again today & still at P1000.

I have queried via email and their forum for info from Scantool. Received one response from email. Since it didn't answer the question: specifically, what should I be using to read codes on my specific vehicle, I responded for clarification. I posted a query on the software forum and the hardware forum.

I'm beginning to think it is a SCAM TOOL!

I will endeavor to start a separate post about Scantool to let everyone know what I learn. So far, the literature seems evasive.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

my cruise has been working on and off since the day I bought the car (currently "off"). I do not get a "cruise not available" message. Would be nice if it's working but I am OK without it. Otherwise the car runs like a dream at 120k mi.

Cheers,
Wolfy

04Xjrsteve (02-29-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Steve,

Do you have the Std or Adaptive cruise?
Do you get any other messages at the same time?

Cheers
34by151

04Xjrsteve (02-29-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 04:10 PM

Hey 34x151; you're looking well!
I have adaptive, but I haven't used it in a long time. The "Cruise Not Available" message appears when I start the car until i turn it off. There are no other messages. Of course, I can turn the message off if I hit the reset button, but the yellow light stays on.

Wolfy, I'm with you - mine drives like a dream. Can't believe she has 63K on her and I still have her. Prior cars in my garage have seldom seen 30K & they're gone. I just really love this car!! The error light is a nuisance, but doesn't appear to be of any consequence otherwise.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

There are N (6, or whatever) OBD monitors which when all set will make the P1000 turn to P1111. Both codes are pending ones and will not cause an inspection fail - but the unset monitors can or will cause a fail.

The exact number of monitors varies by car design / model year / laws / etc.

I think yours will be detailed in the workshop manual as they are for my STR. An OBD tool can report which are present (implemented in the car's PCM software) and each one's status.

To try to set any unset ones faster you can consult/follow the drive cycle which also is in the workshop manual. Note that it is not the same for all cars or even all jags.

Some monitors can be tough to set if you have a marginal car or happen to live somewhere with thin air (i.e. high up). Or have the wrong amount of fuel. Etc. (Read the fine manual!)

Some will not set if there are any faults. Worse, they may be unable to flag codes leaving you in Catch-22. Hope you're not.

Some legal areas allow one or more to be unset so it can be worth finding out yours.

Last edited by JagV8; 02-26-2016 at 03:26 AM.
04Xjrsteve (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 11:45 AM

Thanks, JagV8; you are quite the master of the OBM!

Will endeavor to find and do the reset via the drive cycle in the manual as you mentioned.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:51 PM

Okay, found a million steps to the Comprehensive Component Monitor Drive Cycle. Seems to be an additional 8 pages for the transmission.

Seems senseless, but I'll let you know how I come out assuming I live long enough to run through it.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:45 PM

Have printed a set of drive cycles(e.g. heated oxygen sensors): one for the engine sensors; the other, for the transmission.

I think I'm doing these cycles to restore the DTC (Diagnostic trouble Code) P1111.

I'm assuming that they all don't have to be done sequentially & at one time?

I also assume that I can check for P1111 as I move down the list in hopes that I may not have to run through each and every cycle to get back to P1111?

Is my thinking close? Any thoughts? Thanks

Old 02-27-2016, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Xjrsteve
Hey 34x151; you're looking well!
I have adaptive, but I haven't used it in a long time. The "Cruise Not Available" message appears when I start the car until i turn it off. There are no other messages. Of course, I can turn the message off if I hit the reset button, but the yellow light stays on.
These are the codes associated with an amber light and "Cruise Not Available" message

P0566
P0567
P0568
P0569
P0570
P1697
The above all deal with bad steering wheel switches or a bad clock spring

P1571
Bad Brake light switch or relay

P1696
Can network failure or ASM module fail

You really need to get the codes read with a mongoose/SDD as your generic scanner may not show the powertrain codes

That being said id make a guess that the P1696 is not there. It would most likely show up with a bunch of module fails. You would see lots of messages on the IC at the same time. Id guess that out because of that

Placing bets without scanning Id bet on the clock spring followed by the steering wheel switches.

I had the same thing on my XJR and it was the Set switch causing the problem. Symptoms were the same as yours with the associated P0570 code

PS all the info on this is in the "Speed Control" section of the JTIS
If you don't have it Id recommend you download and install "JTIS", "JEPC", get a mongoose cable and setup SDD

Cheers
34by151

04Xjrsteve (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 04:29 PM

Clubairth1 and JagV8, you both seem to lean towards the clock spring.

JagV8, once I get the codes read, you have certainly made it easier for me.

Sailing season starts with our first big race this Saturday; so, for the next little while, will have to put diagnosing this aside.

Next week, will start to go through the "driving cycles" with my wife reading the instructions as I drive. The few neighbors not thinking that I've gone around the bend will certainly join the others as I implement these procedures in the neighborhood.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:53 PM

Quick Question: If the problem is the clock spring & I replace it, would the error message go out? Or, would the code need to be cleared first?

Of course, I do plan to deal with the codes because it is important that I learn this for future use.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:29 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Hey there Steve. Just noticed your issue and that you have the adaptive cruise. I went though a similar issue with my SV8 right after I bought it but I didn't have the constant warning, just CRUISE NOT AVAILABLE whenever I tried to turn it on. I have SDD and was able to track down the code. I forget what it was off the top of my head but it had something to do with the car not getting data from the radar unit behind the front bumper. Now, I was all ready to get a replacement but on a whim decided to take the unit apart (can't break what's already broken). Turned out two of the five pins that go into the radar head had corroded and basically dissolved into nothing. I replaced them and it's been working fine ever since, except for the odd time it doesn't work but that is only in the winter and I know sometimes the cold does things to these cars! Now I believe since you have an 04 you would have the first generation of the radar head and I have the second (or something like that) but I do have a thread on here somewhere about my rebuilding of it. Might be worth taking yours apart and having a look (if you are so inclined). However, I would first suggest getting any codes their may be as others have said to at least point you in the right direction. No point taking the thing apart if the codes say it's a clock spring!

Just found the post about rebuilding it.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ebuild-144566/

Last edited by WinterJag; 02-29-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:35 PM

I've moved back to this thread after having some discussion on the acc question on another thread.

After over 12 years since WinterJags response, I've decided to address this issue. I have established that it is not a low battery issue.

Checked for codes for the first time in at least 12 years & the ones I received did not mention radar. The codes listed:

Diagnose Function Codes

U2515: ABS missing message for adaptive speed control

B2884: Steering column tilt movement fault secondary axis.

U2510: CAN invalid data for vehicle security

U2511: CAN data mismatch - receive data does not match expected.

U1900: CAN communication bus fault passive anti theft system

B2139: Data mismatch receive data does not match expected.

U1262: SCP, (J1850) communications bus fault.

B1234: Mirror switch invalid code.

B1940: Seat memory position out of range.

B2309: Seat motor out of range.

B2496: Anti-theft horn circuit short to ground.

B2363: Optical sensor failure.

B2262: W. P. park to park ….( can't read my writing).

B2370: Left seat heater power shutdown

C1755: Right seat heater power shutdown

U1262: SCP (J1850) communication bus fault
B2162: Right side module invalid I.D

OBD2 Function Codes:

P1111: P1111 is not a fault code. It is a special designator Jaguar uses meaning system ready, drive cycles completed after the last fault event.

If I had multiple error messages, I would be inclined to follow this:
​​​​​​http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...%20Cluster.pdf

A slight zinging sound immenates from the steering wheel when turning at low speeds - steering spring? However, all radio functions work well & none of the codes mention steering spring.

What would you do? Replace brake switch? Again, no fault code mentioned brake switch.

I have erased all codes & will check from time to time to see what reappears.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Cruise Not Available P1111 ECM