XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Cruise Not Available P1111 ECM

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 755 Likes on 633 Posts

Re steering noise it is common and you can get an additive to cure that.

Only from Jaguar.

Google it for C2C code

Old 04-15-2021, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,397 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I really admire your persistence and after 12 years you are still fighting the good fight!!

I have found if the codes are not read and cleared for long periods of time you tend to get various bus faults. The CAN (Controller Area Network) and SCP (Standard Corporate Protocol) codes are U (network) level faults shown above. Most of these are just from temporary voltage fluctuations and are not really problems and can be safely ignored unless they reappear.

With that level of detail about your error codes I assume you are using SDD? I think you will need to monitor live data using SDD to get any further. It looks to me like there are possibly multiple things going on which of course further complicates getting it fixed! You probably know this but P codes = Power Train codes, B codes = Body codes, C codes = Chassis codes, U codes = Network codes.

SDD should guide you as you enter symptoms to help narrow down what tests to run and what to do next. Do you think might might be a wiring issue? Such as corroded pins, chewed wires?

Old 04-16-2021, 06:55 AM
Received 120 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for your enlightened response. Over the past 12 years, we have been blessed with 6 grandsons & one granddaughter & that my friend, is the tip of the iceberg!

In the absence of a specific code identifying the problem, several of the solutions presented by others & shop manuals seem to be a process of illimination. Checking pins, etc.

Not knowing much about these codes. I was going to look at the radar as per one contributors suggestion. In context of what I thought the reader was supposed to do, this does seem a primitive way to go about it.

I would very much like to know about the various codes you mention: C vs. U, etc. I have no idea of what you mean by STT. It would be great to find a document describing such codes.

Old 04-16-2021, 06:57 AM

Excuse me, I meant "SDD".

Old 04-16-2021, 07:32 AM

I did find this:

SDD (Symptom Driven Diagnostics)
SDD is the latest development by JLR in vehicle diagnostics. ... Alongside diagnostics the service functions allows vehicle and module programming and vehicle customisation.

Later, I will post info about the reader I just purchased. But first, will study it a bit more to see if it has SDD, etc. Thanks to your post, I may be on the verge of learning something about what has seemed esoteric to me.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:41 AM

Clubairth1, as to your query re pins & wires: She is garaged & driven mostly in town on excellent roads. She is an 04 and has just turned 85k miles. I have yet to see corrosion anywhere. Our roads are not salted & we keep her garaged if there is any possibility of ice or snow.

Besides this acc problem, there is no indication of anything wrong except the slight steering noise mentioned above and Don B gave a solution to that.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:54 AM

Look at this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-home-137848/

After reading this, I am more confused.

It is starting to look like the only reasonable approach is to start inspecting & replacing until I find the fix. & if unsuccessful, take her to the shop.

Old 04-16-2021, 03:34 PM

OK, I re-ran the codes & instead of 19, I only got 5:

B2496 - Anti-Theft Horn Output Circuit Short To Ground
Faulty Anti-Theft Horn Anti-Theft Horn harness is open or shorted Anti-Theft Horn circuit poor electrical connection.

Found if I leave the window open & lock the doors with the FOB & reach in and open the door the Anti-Theft Horn does not work. I know it used to work if this happened.

B2533 rear right stop lamp: Faulty Right Rear Stop Lamp. Right Rear Stop Lamp harness is open or shorted Right Rear Stop Lamp circuit poor electrical connection Faulty Body Control Module (BCM)

Have not yet checked the right rear lamp harness.

U1262 SCP(J1850) Communication Bus Fault: Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM); Powertrain Control Module (PCM) harness is open or shorted; Powertrain Control Module (PCM) circuit poor electrical connection.

Will find out where PCM is located & check connection

ACC. NOT FITTED

Finally! Something says ACC! What do you think this might mean? It is not a code, but showed up when the machine was searching things. A quick Google search "ACC Not Fitted" didn't produce anything. This sounds to me like maybe something is not plugged in properly?

Could the "rear right stop lamp" error along with the "ACC not fitted" error indicate the Brake Switch might be faulty?

Old 04-16-2021, 07:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

did you try cruse control ? if not you may have to try it in order for code cruse control not fitted to clear before testing . also brake light bulb being out might be a problem for the cruse control not working . cruse module uses brake input for proper working and a bulb out would change amperage .......

Old 04-17-2021, 04:44 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Is your car fitted with ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) ? If it does then you'll have a switch like the one shown in attached photo. 2003/2004 cars used a one piece system whereas later cars had it split into two (the radar unit is behind the front bumper/fender and are known to be problematic, and parts are like hens teeth to find). If you don't have ACC then ignore all that I've just said - lol ! (failure of the ACC radar will render Cruise Control unavailable).

Old 04-17-2021, 07:32 AM

Thanks, Killroy & Captain Q. How wonderful if it is but a tail light! I will check this first.

I did clear all codes. After I check brake light, I will try to use acc in hopes it might give acc specific codes.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:16 PM

All tailights: brake, turn signal, running & fog are working fine.

Tried to use ACC & no difference in codes.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:48 PM

Unless someone sees something from the codes above, I will examine the connections to radar. If that isn't it, will replace brake light switch.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Yes the SDD is a whole system with software on a laptop and a special cable connecting to the OBD port. It's complicated and not meant for us home guys to use. Only for Jaguar dealer use. So little to no training info and most everything is from people experimenting or the few Jaguar techs we have on this forum. So unless you plan to invest a lot of time and dedicate a laptop for the software I don't think it's worth it for you.

I did it because I worked on a number of Jaguars and then it becomes almost a must have. But we now have some decent aftermarket scanners too that were not available in years past.

You are making progress as less codes are always good. I see some have suggested changing the steering wheel switches for the cruise. Maybe you can find a used set for cheap on EBay? Might be worth a try?

Old 04-17-2021, 08:46 PM

Thanks, Clubairth1. Somehow, I missed the steering wheel switches error messages. I plan to download shop manual for electrical & will try to figure out. Haven't yet started on radar. Do u think I' m barking up the wrong 🌳 with looking at radar?

Old 04-17-2021, 08:49 PM

Are steering shell switches the same as the steering spring?

Old 04-17-2021, 08:59 PM

"Placing bets without scanning Id bet on the clock spring followed by the steering wheel switches.

I had the same thing on my XJR and it was the Set switch causing the problem. Symptoms were the same as yours with the associated P0570 code"

XxClub21 suggested the above some years ago. Think I need to start working on these excellent solutions.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:04 PM

"Placing bets without scanning Id bet on the clock spring followed by the steering wheel switches.

I had the same thing on my XJR and it was the Set switch causing the problem. Symptoms were the same as yours with the associated P0570 code"

XxClub21 suggested the above some years ago. Think I need to start working on these excellent suggestions.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:35 AM

Would you follow the procedure below? Is it relevant to the ACC issue?

G240073t30 : CHECK THE STEERING WHEEL SPEED CONTROL SWITCH FOR OPEN CIRCUIT
1. Disconnect the steering wheel speed control switch. 2. Measure the resistance between the steering wheel speed control switch connector pins 01 and 02 component side.

Is the resistance 4310 ohms?

-> Yes

INSTALL a new clockspring.
Clockspring (86.65.92) TEST the system for normal operation.

-> No

INSTALL a new speed control switch assembly.
Speed Control Switch (19.75.25) TEST the system for normal operation.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Yes that is exactly what we are talking about.

The steering wheel needs to be removed to check/replace both of these and it's pretty easy but some are scared of the air bag. But I have removed many airbags and just treat it as you would a loaded gun. With respect and always pointed away from anybody! The shop manual recommends you disconnect the battery before removal.

The clock spring is a bundle of wires that is wound in a coil. As you turn the steering wheel right and left the cables spool out and back on to the roll. This is also called a cassette.
Just make sure you get the correct part but here is what an XJ version looks like. Yours maybe be different.

You can't see the wires coiled up inside but you can imagine that as you drive the car this wears our the bundle of wires inside the clock spring as you turn the wheel back and forth. Since these wires control everything on the steering wheel one of the tell tale symptoms is other functions not working correctly such as the volume control for the radio along with the cruise functions your having problems with. They do last a long time so it's not real common to replace it. But it's usually intermittent so a meter check does not always find a bad clock spring and most people just replace it.

One other thing about the clock spring is if you ever disconnect the steering column from the rack do not let the steering wheel spin round and round. The clock spring can only turn so far in either direction and you will pull it apart of it's wound too far in either direction.

Sometimes the steering wheel switches can be fixed by cleaning and lubricating them usually from behind after you take the steering wheel off. But I have found they get a lot of use and usually that is a temporary fix.

The following users liked this post:
04Xjrsteve (04-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Cruise Not Available P1111 ECM