XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

cruise not available and U2523 DTC

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default cruise not available and U2523 DTC

On a shopping trip yesterday the transmission seemed several times to hunt for a gear and also several times after a shopping stop the message “Cruise not available” came up after driving a short distance. The first time it happened message “DSC not available” also came up a bit later and a little car skidding symbol lit up on the dash, but that only happened once. Then while driving slowly in the parking area with the AC on high, the climate fans stopped briefly and then came back on several times. One other time when starting the engine, the CEL came on and I erased the code with my Ultragauge without recording it.

This morning when I started the engine, the cooling fan came on immediately and there was a pending code P023B on the Ultragauge (Charge Air Cooler Coolant Pump Control Circuit Low), which I get often because I had to permanently ground the SC pump relay coil to make it run because the computer would not ground it; when I erased that code the fan went off.

Then with the engine running I checked the Jaguar codes with my i930 and among them, U2523 (CAN timeout from ECM) showed up under Instrument Pack, Air Suspension, Tire Pressure Monitor, Climate Control, and Adaptive Speed Control. Under Transmission Control it had one code, a P1799 (CAN TCM/DSCM network malfunction). Other odd codes were ABS Control U0402 – invalid data from TCM, Instrument Pack U2515 – missing message from adaptive speed control, Driver’s Door B1676 – battery voltage out of range, and General Electronics Control B2363 - optical sensor system failure. I had replaced the battery three months ago with a new AGM battery when I was getting all kinds of weird things on startup, so I am wondering about the battery voltage out of range code.

Any thoughts on what would cause the U2523 and other communication failures? And whether they could be battery voltage related? or ground related?

Old 08-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

Hi Phil

Just curious why you put an AGM battery in a vehicle that doesn't utilize Eco STOP/START? Anyhow, have you checked the battery just to rule it out?

As for the multiple codes logged, I know there have been a few tech bulletins in the past with multiple codes logged, also with multiple warnings present, but no actual faults with the vehicle. I'll have a look and see if any pertain to the codes you have logged, unless someone is already doing that now. B1676 is definitely a common code if battery voltage drops. The P1799 is in relation to comms between ABS and TCM.

I'd start off by checking battery to rule that out, very easy and quick. As for the other codes, its quite possible you could have a grounding issue that connects various modules together. If you get any other warnings/codes different from what you've posted, post them because they could help lead to the culprit.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Can those cars charge an AGM properly?

Old 08-06-2017, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 637 Posts

Hi Phil

Looks like a comms problem in the CAN netwok between the IC and the ECM.

I suggest that you check the connectors below the steering wheel (near the floor,

where the main harness runs along the side of the cabin)

I think there is one under the drivers seat. Check for any moisture and uplug and

re plug them a couple of times.

I assume the drain below the cabin filter is not blocked?

The problem could be nearer the IC but hopefully not.

lots of info here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-fault-176969/

Last edited by meirion1; 08-06-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

From the faults it looks to me like the headlamp earths are the cause

The RH side has 2 earths (G2 & G3) where the LH side has one (G1)

From you faults the issue is a loss of earth on G3 and possibly G2
I have listed the itemes below connect to each of these earths

G1
Air Compressor
Adaptive Speed Control Module
LH Headlamp
Hood ajar Switch
Horn

G2
Front Fuse box - R7 Ignition Relay
Front Fuse box - R12 O2 sensor Relay
Front Fuse box - R9 Slave Relay 01.8
DSC Module
Air Suspension Compressor Relay
Engine Coolant Sensor
Fog Lamps
Washer Fluid Level Sensor
Wiper Relay
Power Wash Pump

G3
Intercooler Pump
Cooling Fan
Smog Sensor
Aux Coolant Pump
RH Headlamp

If you have not already done replace the earth studs with an M8 stainless bolt.

You can drill between G2/3 for a new bolt and put all the lugs on the new bolt. When I did mine I also added an extra cable bridging the old posts with the new one but this is not really needed

A loss of G3 will cause a bunch of modules to stop talking and Christmas tree the instrument cluster

Cheers
34by151

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
Hi Phil
Just curious why you put an AGM battery in a vehicle that doesn't utilize Eco STOP/START? Anyhow, have you checked the battery just to rule it out? ... B1676 is definitely a common code if battery voltage drops. The P1799 is in relation to comms between ABS and TCM....If you get any other warnings/codes different from what you've posted, post them because they could help lead to the culprit.
I had read that AGMs have less self discharge and hold voltage better if the car is not driven every day; I went with the "best" battery that Battery Outfitters had available. I've since read that Jaguar recommends a Calcium battery? I'd not heard of that before.

Other DTCs today were B1671-Bat V out of range, U2518-missing msg from electronic temp, U0100-lost communication with ECM & PCM, C1D14-ignition status, C1D15-brake switch status, U2516-CAN bus off, U2521-missing msg from ABS, U2520-missing msg instrument cluster, U2522-CAN timeout TCM, B2832-mode servo fault, U1262-COM bus fault, and B2533-RR stop lamp circuit failure (this one I used to have all the time until I pulled the RR tail light assembly to reconnect the RR parking aid sensor. I cleaned the connector and all the lamp sockets and it had not come back until today).

I had the cabin filter out last week and did not see any moisture there, but I did hose off the car before we left yesterday. Otherwise it has been under cover and did sit a week while I was awaiting a new radiator hose.

34by151, thanks for the ground information. I'll check the grounds by the headlights again tomorrow; they had looked clean and felt tight in the past so I did not loosen the nuts because of the warnings of how fragile they are. I'll charge the battery with an external charger too.

One other thing I just remembered was that I had a second Ultragauge connected to my OBDII splitter yesterday in order to run up its fuel usage enough so I could re-calibrate it for my 98 Land Rover Discovery. (The Discovery reports about 1/100 the fuel use the UG expects and takes a 110 calibration number to compensate; the Discovery's UG windshield mount had fallen off and in the 5:00am dark I didn't see it had fallen down by the driver door and the UG got crunched when I tried to close the door; hence I needed to calibrate a new one). I don't know if that would affect the SV8s communication, but the second UG is back in the Discovery now and the SV8 has one UG connected.

Tuesday we have a 400 mile trip so I hope the cruise is working then.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

When I did my earths all looked ok and seemed tight.
I had random but rare "Christmas trees"
At the time I had the headlamps out so took advantage to upgrade the earths.
I also renewed the can pin on the abs module.

No repeat since this has been done, although ive got another one to do in the IC at some point

Cheers
34by151

Old 08-07-2017, 05:01 PM

Update: My battery this morning had 12.5 volts but my charger said that was 80% so I charged it on the AGM regular battery size setting and when I checked it 1/2 hour later it said 100% charge and 13.9 volts. Then two hours later (charger off during that time) I checked it again and it was back to 12.6 volts and the charger said 85% so I turned the charger on again and it took only a few minutes to say it was 100% charged and 13.5 volts; another hour later(charger off) it was still 100% charged and 12.9 volts.

In the mean time I brass wire brushed the three ground studs, ring connectors, and nuts and sprayed them with contact cleaner, the lower right not as well as the other two because of it's location. Put them back together and took a short test drive and there were no OBDII codes on starting, no messages (except check spare because it doesn't have a sensor), no unusual shifting or blower speed changes, and I engaged the cruise several times and it seemed normal. So far so good, but our 400 mile drive tomorrow will be the real test.

I also looked up AGM batteries as replacements for flooded batteries and ran across several good discussions, but from this forum thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-185125/page2/

the two batteries recommended were an Exide Global Extreme L5/49x series calcium plate battery with 4 year free replacement for $119 as suggested by BOX or a Bosch AGM from Pep Boys on sale for $199 with 4 year free replacement suggested by findre.

So...several opinions on AGM as "upgrade" to flooded lead acid batteries. The hand book says to check electrolite level and not get battery acid on skin or painted surfaces and there is a drain tube in the boot so the original must have been a flooded lead acid. The battery I replaced was a non serviceable Delco lead acid 49A 825 CCA with a 7/13 date. From memory, my car's charge voltage on my AGM is in the high 13 volt or ocassionally low 14 volts on the Ultragauge.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:40 AM
Default Test ride went well

After typing in a long update I hit submit and got the message “Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded. Please push the back button and reload the previous window.” and it erased everything I had typed, so here goes again. I wish it didn’t do that.

We spent the day yesterday driving the SV8 to and from my wife’s annual checkup at the Choctaw clinic in Poteau. Up at 4am and off at 5am for her 8am appointment – very sleepy drive down but no incidents. After a breakfast at “Bud’s” we went to the Poteau court house to photograph a veteran’s memorial for one of her friends with a buddy’s name in the Korean War section. Then we walked the streets of Poteau’s “Historic Downtown” and headed toward home around Noon.

At I-40 I decided to take a side trip to Altus in Arkansas’s wine country have lunch at Kelt’s Irish Pub and we had the place nearly to ourselves. The owner asked my wife what she wanted to drink and after reciting the beer menu including Guinness Blonde she said,”I’ll try the blonde.” I told him I’d tried the blonde 30 years ago and she was very good, but this time I’d try the Killian’s Red. She rolled her eyes and he said, “That may be too much information.”

After a very pleasant lunch, we took the “Pig Trail”, Arkansas Rt 23 and our version of “The Tail of The Dragon”, North through Cass, Huntsville, and Eureka Springs – a very pleasant drive in spite of a dog that ran in front of the Jag just as we were entering Huntsville. I almost got stopped in time, but not quite, so he got a pretty good thump but rolled, got up, and ran away. I didn’t see any obvious damage to the car at home, but I’ll check it again later.

We got home at 5:30pm and it was a long day on the road but an overall pleasant experience and the SV8 ran flawlessly all day with no messages or OBDII codes and the adaptive cruise worked as expected. MPG to Poteau on 75 MPH 4 lanes and some 50 MPH two lanes was 27.6, but the drive home on “The tail of the Pig”, which twists and turns its hilly two lanes through mostly national forest, dropped the over all MPG to 26.4 US for the trip; still not bad for a 400 Hp Supercharged V8.

I don’t know if cleaning the grounds or removing the second temporary UltraGauge made the difference, but I just hope it holds.

BTW, I watched the system voltage on the UltraGauge and the highest was 14.16 volts and it generally ran about 14 volts or lower. The 14.16 was with the headlights on while on the return trip in daylight it was in the high 13s.

Attached Thumbnails cruise not available and U2523 DTC-100_4046.jpg   cruise not available and U2523 DTC-kelts-irish-pub-altus-8-8-17-2-.jpg   cruise not available and U2523 DTC-kelts-irish-pub-altus-8-8-17-3-.jpg   cruise not available and U2523 DTC-kelts-irish-pub-altus-8-8-17-4-.jpg  

Last edited by philwarner; 08-09-2017 at 03:59 PM.