XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Custom X Pipe Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts
Default Custom X Pipe Exhaust Questions

I've fallen down the rabbit hole of exhaust mods. I've just installed the Mina Gallery mufflers and they sound great, but I'd like a little more volume. I'm thinking of removing the two center mufflers/resonators and replacing them with an x pipe. Does anyone have the length and width measurements needed? What would be the best way of connecting the pipes at either end since both ends of the stock assembly appear to curve out and up a bit? I'd like to do this myself for the satisfaction of it, but I'll have a shop do it if I have to. Any tips, tricks, info would be most appreciated.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Also, does anyone know if the length of the long wheelbase exhaust is the same as the short wheelbase?

Old 09-22-2015, 06:51 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Please post a video of the exhaust in action. Interested!

Old 09-22-2015, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BlacXJRcat
Please post a video of the exhaust in action. Interested!
I don't think a video would pick it up enough. It's very subtle and you only really hear when you give it some gas. Can't really hear it at idle, nice low rumble at low rpms, and a good throaty roar when you really give it the beans. I love the sound, I just want more of it.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
I don't think a video would pick it up enough. It's very subtle and you only really hear when you give it some gas. Can't really hear it at idle, nice low rumble at low rpms, and a good throaty roar when you really give it the beans. I love the sound, I just want more of it.
I'm interested in doing an exhaust upgrade. I'm not looking for a loud system but I do want to hear the roar. Perhaps I should explore a custom setup. Let us know how it turns out with the x pipe.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:50 PM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

When I did my XJ8 I enlarged the pipes out of the manifolds to 2 1/4 inch replaced the cats with High flow 200 cell metal substrate cats fitted new o2 sensors front and back then continued the 2 1/4 inch pipes under the car to a merge pipe then had a custom muffler made to with a large single inlet then splitting out the rear of the muffler to the original rear mufflers sounds great no drone muted but sound like a v8
I did have to get a custom tune as the cats flowed more I kept getting codes and dash lights
The tune was very expensive as no one had done one here in Australia before so I paid the tune shop to learn on my car (hate that)

Old 09-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, Doc, I bet it sounds bad ***, but that's a bit more than I want to do right now. Very cool though.

I decided to just save myself a lot of time, headache and possibly heartache, and took the Jag to a local exhaust shop yesterday. For $200, they cut off the center resonators, and put in the x pipe followed by straight pipes to the rear Mina exhaust. SOUNDS AWESOME. It's exactly what I wanted: the Mina exhaust note but louder. Very quiet at idle and while cruising, but gives a nice deep rumble during acceleration. Sounds really cool at start up. Goes much faster than before, but only because I'm always slamming the pedal now!

The combination of the Mina exhaust and x pipe is exactly what I wanted.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Wow, Doc, I bet it sounds bad ***, but that's a bit more than I want to do right now. Very cool though.

I decided to just save myself a lot of time, headache and possibly heartache, and took the Jag to a local exhaust shop yesterday. For $200, they cut off the center resonators, and put in the x pipe followed by straight pipes to the rear Mina exhaust. SOUNDS AWESOME. It's exactly what I wanted: the Mina exhaust note but louder. Very quiet at idle and while cruising, but gives a nice deep rumble during acceleration. Sounds really cool at start up. Goes much faster than before, but only because I'm always slamming the pedal now!

The combination of the Mina exhaust and x pipe is exactly what I wanted.
I wonder if replacing the center resonators with an x pipe leaving the rear mufflers on will give a throatier sound.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

It probably will, but I don't know what kind of note it would give. The Mina mufflers sounded noticeably deeper than the stocks even when I had the center resonators still on.