XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

daily driver do and don't

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014 | 12:08 PM
|
Default daily driver do and don't

All, I'm considering a 2005 x350 VDP, thanks for all the great threads and comments about daily drivers, likes and don't likes, repair issues, etc. The one question I didn't find direct answers to:

For a 2005 (ish) car with 65k miles, is this going to be reliable enough daily transportation you would trust for your job? I could deal with a broken car once or twice, but not once a month or being down for 2 weeks at a time because the steering rack is unsafe or something like that. My job is fairly flexible, but when you call clients or your boss with "my car's broke" and you could certainly afford reliable transportation, that seems silly for a professional. Any realtors out there with these?

Thoughts?
Grant

Old 06-13-2014 | 12:31 PM
Veteran member

I would feel VERY good about using a 05 as a daily driver. Mine has been great...just a little heat problem on the driver side...but that won't leave you stranded

Old 06-13-2014 | 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

I've been driving the hell out of my 05 for 4 years now in the nastiest Los Angeles traffic imaginable, and only just now at 137k miles is it requiring some maintenance.

Old 06-13-2014 | 02:55 PM
|
Default Thanks

Thanks for the input guys or gals

Old 06-14-2014 | 04:03 PM

I've had mine as a daily driver and multiple road roads spanning from 3-8 hours non-stop.
Only issue I ever had that had me drive less was a leaking radiator.
Only other issues semi major issues:
1.leaking steering pump hose
2. busted rear air shock

both which I was able to replace myself in an evening apiece when they occurred.

Still my daily driver and wouldn't hesitate another road trip at 105,000 miles.

Old 06-14-2014 | 06:10 PM

06 XJR 77000 miles. Runs like a raped ape. No problems, trouble free ;-)
Remember DON'T SKIMP on quality of parts you replace or you will wind up paying twice. Trust me.

Old 06-14-2014 | 09:34 PM
|
Default Thanks

Thanks for the help, I'm planning to jump in tomorrow. Inspection at Jag dealer revealed bushings needed in the not too distant future but I can see it coming and the seller discounted car for it so... What the hey.

Old 06-14-2014 | 11:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stavinski
Thanks for the help, I'm planning to jump in tomorrow. Inspection at Jag dealer revealed bushings needed in the not too distant future but I can see it coming and the seller discounted car for it so... What the hey.

Stavinski, IMNSHO the x350 easily bests the Mercedes s500. If you jump out to one of their forums, you'll see many similar issues with those cars as well as they share much of the same high end technology and innovation. They are pricey to maintain and even costlier to repair than a $40k mass produced car but certainly every bit worthy of daily driving. Maintain it well and you'll get 300,000 miles on the engine. Parts are pricier than mass produced cars because there are fewer of them on the road, not because they're expensive out of the gate. Simple supply and demand. As with any used car, you should collect the history of the vehicle or have the dealer do it for you. Collecting is easier than you think and having the history will help you with valuation. I will keep mine until death do us part!

Old 06-15-2014 | 09:01 PM
|

I have experience with BMW 7 series and the cost of parts thing, just wondering if the Jag will eat cup holders at a similar rate I didn't buy the car today. Center console broken, excessive wear on door pull, chrome was very cloudy, some cracks in the wood veneer. Not the best one I've seen but priced like it.

Old 06-15-2014 | 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

Ive noticed the chrom trim clouding on my XJR. Im thinking its clearcoated or something. Ive noticed the same on mercedes of similar vintage. Teh wood cracking would definitely bother me more than anything! And compared to an s500....There is none

Old 06-16-2014 | 06:58 AM

Is the clouding fixable or is it replace that section of trim?

Old 06-16-2014 | 09:37 AM

Someone posted here once that rubbing the chrome down with automatic transmission fluid cleared up the cloudiness. I haven't tried it myself. Mine is moderately cloudy.

Old 06-17-2014 | 12:03 PM
Veteran member

I have a little clouding on the rear 1/2 of the door trim. Its apparently, common. The cracks in the wood would be a deal killer for me also. Its costly to get refurbished correctly.

Old 06-17-2014 | 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

The clouding can be fixed, search this forum for the actual post but the fix was to rub down with 200 grade emery and then just polish.

I have not done this myself so check with actual post.

Old 06-18-2014 | 10:39 PM

Stavinski,

I've had my VDP for 3.5 years. I'm about 25 miles east of Cincinnati (per your location). It's a great, great car but not without its problem. At this age, the suspension will have problems (I converted my EAS to Arnott coils. Resolved ALL suspension problems.) I replaced throttle body last year at about 80k miles. Headliner sagged. Drivers-side heat is weak due to several possibilities. Gas mileage is GREAT; I average about 21 mpg.
I really enjoy all the luxury options on the car, but it will need some maintenance. I would likely buy another one.

Old 06-19-2014 | 04:23 AM

I've been using mine daily for over 10 years now. It has never broken down or prevented me from completing my journey.

The key to having a blissful driving experience in XJs of this age and high mileage, is owner's proactivity!

1. Firstly, I do not miss a service when it is due.
2. When a car complains about a minor issue, I do not ignore it. I attend to it immediately.
3. I also know that at some point some things like the water pipes, will burst and so whenever I take it for a service after high mileage of driving, I ask the garage to replace the pipes regardless of their condition.

So far, my car drives better than when it was new, although I have noticed a slight drop in power when I floor the accelerator.

So far, the only problems I have had with my 2004 XJ with over 150,000 miles are:
- replaced the front air suspension and related control arms (top and bottom)
- replaced the overflow coolant reservoir twice
- replaced water pipes once
- fixed the gearbox once (at 50,000 Miles) because it constantly complained about gearbox fault.
- replaced drive-shaft belt once
- replaced airbag cancellation module once because the steering wheel buttons were not working and I got an airbag light on
- replaced boot locker because it got broken when I overloaded the boot when I returned from vacation
- replaced rear bearings once
- replaced disks 3 or 4 times
- replaced catalytic converters once at 100,000 miles

Other than that, the engine has been very solid, never complains about anything yet! And although I am worried it could get stuck on the road one day and leave me stranded, I pray before I drive and still trust that it will love me back just as I have showed it some brotherly love :-).

Besides, even if I wanted not to use it, I have no other car more reliable than my XJ. So for now we are Siamese twins!

Good luck

Old 06-19-2014 | 09:17 AM

I had an 03 VDP X308 that had 103k on it and had no concerns at all about using her for my daily commute and weekend get-away (not the baddie type get-away car) cruise. As others have said, your experience may differ, but min, along with many others, give a BIG thumbs up!

Last edited by ragman1171; 06-19-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-29-2014 | 05:15 AM

The brake disks and suspension bushes should be considered regular maintenance items.
Find a good local independent with lots of experience on these cars.
Replace plated steel screws, fasteners and washers (e.g. on the undertray) with stainless as you go. Keep a stock handy (mostly 6mm flanged). Use calcium grease on the threads, not copper.

Don't neglect regular maintenance. Some people like to put in an interim oil change between 12-month services, some tyre and exhaust chains here do it so cheap it's not worth DIYing, but verify they use 5W/30 and that it is a reputable brand. I use synthetic, but one of its main benefits is extended service life, which is not needed if you do 6-monthly changes.
Check the fluid levels frequently for early warning of any leaks.
The antifreeze is a special Orange variety and (here) I have to order it.
The powerfold/adjusting mirror pivots are not in the official service schedule but need to be washed out and lubed (easy DIY).

Cloudy trim round the door tops:
Mine is plastic, with chrome plating on the *inside* surface of the plastic.
So the cloudiness is the plastic going dull. I wouldn't abrade it. I find wiping with a soft cloth and a trace of Armorall makes it shiny. It is plastic, after all.
I have heard that the trim is fairly easy to take off and replace, but mine comes up nicely as it is.

Last edited by PigletJohn; 06-29-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 06-29-2014 | 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

I, too, am a realtor and drive my 05 XJ8L almost daily for 3 years. Only got stranded one time for suspension failure ($1800)...fortunately I was able to 'limp' home and change to my Toyota Avalon backup car. LOVE LOVE LOVE the 30mpg from the 4.2 V8! My advice -- get AAA Plus with 100-mile tow for a peace of mind, and budget $1.5-2k a year for repairs which you may or may not need.

Lately I've been looking at other cars just to see if there was anything better out there. I have looked at the X351 and Lexus LS460. The Lexus felt sporty and not as smooth as the Lexi of yore (I could feel all the bumps on the road), and has an interior that only a computer geek would love. The new XJ, due to its half-air suspension setup, did not run like a cloud as my car but its 380hp 5.0 V8 was a total blast to drive! Its interior, though vastly different from the old burl wood-and-leather, still felt special like a proper English motorcar. I did not look at the Germans because I just don't like them

I will wait two more years to get the X351 SWB with extended warranty. By then, the price should have dropped down to $20-25k range.

Cheers,

Wolfy
Los Angeles

Old 06-30-2014 | 02:13 AM

I have only had my xjr for 10 month but it has been issue free for me. I bought it from a Jag dealer that had always done all the work to it so I got the cars entire history. In its entire lifespan since 2004 and 79k miles, it had the front 2 air shocks replaced, stereo amplifier, driver side power seat motor, and one rear taillight assembly replaced due to condensation inside, besides normal maintenance. I would consider that a very reliable car. I also had cloudy trim moldings on my car when I bought it, I detailed the car using a medium grade rubbing compound on the entire car before buffing and it chrome now looks like new. My clock inside my car is cloudy and I haven't been able to get that cleared up. Anyone else have that problem?