XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

In-dash CD Player replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 03:58 AM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default In-dash CD Player replacement

Can I check, does anything special have to be done to a new (old stock) CD player before it can be swopped in to replace a faulty CD player. My audio shop tried to replace my CD player with an apparently new one that I bought on e-bay but when connected up, the entire system, radio etc wouldn't even power up. When the original one was replugged back in, there were everything would work again. This is for the standard, non GUI/GPS, system. Thanks

Old 08-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

I believe you have to have the system reset so that it recognises the new item that has been added

Old 08-21-2015, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The CD changer in the Trunk (boot) was inop. when I got my car. I bought a used one on E-bay. I removed the old one, installed the new (to me) one, and it worked fine. I just plugged in the cables where they belonged.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:59 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Maybe your new CD player is just not working? In my experience it should power up just fine if operational. it may ask you for a code, depending on the region and may need some tuning on the radio frequency standard, but it should power up.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by veffremov
Maybe your new CD player is just not working? In my experience it should power up just fine if operational. it may ask you for a code, depending on the region and may need some tuning on the radio frequency standard, but it should power up.
Thanks. I thought that it might need a code, but of course, then what code would need to be keyed in since the new one doesn't come with a code. The entire system, i.e. radio as well, doesn't power up and yet when the original CD player is plugged back in everything works.

I'm actually thinking that the entire system now needs to be re-added to the car (once a component is replaced with a new item) through the computer system but I wanted to confirm if anyone knew that that is the case before I get my jag indy to do that as we would have to strip out the system again.

Last edited by klfong; 08-21-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by roviw
I believe you have to have the system reset so that it recognises the new item that has been added
Thanks. Is this through the dealer computer? I'm wondering why it would disable the original radio though.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by psales264
The CD changer in the Trunk (boot) was inop. when I got my car. I bought a used one on E-bay. I removed the old one, installed the new (to me) one, and it worked fine. I just plugged in the cables where they belonged.
Thanks. I was hoping that the CD player would behave like that but it doesn't seem to currently.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:02 AM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by klfong
Thanks. Is this through the dealer computer? I'm wondering why it would disable the original radio though.

In my last x350 I needed a new telephone module, I did find a used one and my main dealer fitted it, they said they had to "add" it to the system electronically, I do not know whether it effects every component though.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by roviw
In my last x350 I needed a new telephone module, I did find a used one and my main dealer fitted it, they said they had to "add" it to the system electronically, I do not know whether it effects every component though.
Thanks. Do you happen to know if the rest of the radio system got shut down by the simple act of plugging in the phone module before they "added" the module into the existing system?

Old 08-23-2015, 01:43 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

The audio system works just fine if you add components to it. The only case it has to be "activated" is if you add the first D2B optical component - the dealer software needs to enable the optical bus. None of this is related to your radio issue. The radio should power up even with the optical bus disabled.

I can power a radio on my bench with 3 wires, ground, power and "accesory on", it does not need anything else from the car to light up.

Yes, the dealer software does update the module inventory inside the car computer and that is a good thing, but it is by no means required. The fact that your new radio does not light up, tells me something is wrong with it.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:56 AM

Thanks. No it's not a new radio, it is only the CD player that is new and when that is plugged up to the old radio, the radio stops working too (doesn't power up at all). When the old CD player is plugged in, the radio resumes functioning, which is why I find it very odd. It's like the new CD player is actively disabling everything. I would have thought that only the new CD player would not work instead of disabling everything that was originally working.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:57 PM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Sounds like a broken new (old) CD player to me. Confused? I am.
Send it back to the seller.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by trosty
Sounds like a broken new (old) CD player to me. Confused? I am.
Send it back to the seller.
Hahahaha.... I was hoping I wouldn't need to do that as it's out of e-bay time limits.... Fortunately the old one still works except that I need to use the steering remote whenever I want to change the input source back to radio as the radio button on the CD player module doesn't seem to want to do anything (even more confused???).

Old 08-23-2015, 09:17 PM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

OK so you are definitely talking about the single slot CD player that goes just below the navigation screen. This is in fact the radio unit.

It should not need any setup for the vehicle to work. You will need a radio code for it, or at least get the VIN of the donor vehicle & we can find the code for you.

If it's only the one button on yours that's not working it might be easy enough to repair (dirty pad or contact)

Old 08-23-2015, 09:48 PM

Thanks Cambo. That explains a lot. I've decided to put in a picture so that we're referring to the same thing. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of my car's interior (mine's all beige) but the arrow points to the unit. I thought this was only the CD player and didn't realise that this is the radio itself. I take it that the display above and the key pad is then just a display and not the actual workings of the head unit.

The unit is supposed to have been new old stock so didn't come with codes from a previous car. Should this unit be able to power up (or at least show something in the display unit) once plugged in together with the display above?

Attached Thumbnails In-dash CD Player replacement-img_9763a.jpg  
Old 08-23-2015, 10:26 PM

So your car does not have Navigation?

Old 08-23-2015, 10:32 PM

Nope, it's the simple one without the Nav system. Don't have a phone module either.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:42 PM

Yes the display above the radio with the keypad is just that, although it is connected to the radio and it's all in one assembly.

I had a spare one of those assembly's with CD player but I threw it out because nobody wanted it...

I think the best bet will be someone who knows electronics to open it up and check the switch, maybe it needs a clean...

Or worst case if the switch needs replacing you could take it out of the other unit you have? If you can't return it now...

Old 08-24-2015, 12:31 AM

I have a spare (old) radio display. Maybe I can get a radio repair man to have a look at the combined unit to see if it can be activated. Can I just confirm, if the display and the CD unit are connected up outside the car, can it just be powered up with a 12v source so that the display actually shows something? Thanks again.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:48 AM

Something is not right here....

The display and the CD/radio are one unit, like this...

But you are talking as if you have a separate components...

Yes it can be powered up without being in the car, you will need to see the wiring diagrams to get the right connections though...

Quick Reply: In-dash CD Player replacement