XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

dealer recommended services?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer recommended services?

08 XJ VDP 30k miles; dealer is recommending the following (car runs perfectly); "Fuel service" at $170. "fuel filter" at $115 and "power steering fluid flush" at $115. My suspicion is that this helps the dealer more than it helps my car. Don't know exactly what each entails or why it's necessary. Anybody been down this road........?

Old 01-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I would say yes to the fuel filter change (30K miles) is plenty on that part.

As far as the other 2 recommended services - I would probably pass - but that's just me...

Old 01-02-2015, 09:25 PM
Received 13,278 Likes on 6,567 Posts

Originally Posted by ardifan
08 XJ VDP 30k miles; dealer is recommending the following (car runs perfectly); "Fuel service" at $170. "fuel filter" at $115 and "power steering fluid flush" at $115. My suspicion is that this helps the dealer more than it helps my car. Don't know exactly what each entails or why it's necessary. Anybody been down this road........?

Hi ardifan,

I agree wholeheartedly with abonano. That "fuel service" and the "power steering flush" would be way at the bottom of my list of things my car needed, and they just happen to be two of the highest profit-margin "services" the dealer can perform on your car, that is, if they actually even perform them.

Replacing the fuel filter periodically is definitely worthwhile, but it's really not too difficult to replace yourself for the cost of the filter ($8.00 to $15.00 for a quality filter from a local auto parts store, or about $25.00 plus shipping for the Jaguar-branded OEM filter from jaguarmerriamparts.com or gaudinjaguarparts.com, or about $32.00 from your local Jag dealer).

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-02-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Save some money, buy the parts and fit them yourself. The fuel service can be done by putting some sea foam in your car at the next fill up. That will solve that ($13). The fuel filter is easy to fit yourself with minimal experience and tools ($30 if you don't have the tools and filter already). The Steering fluid is a little more involved, but not required at the low mileage you have. Doing it all yourself, would also give you some insight into the inner workings of your vehicle, you learn something and get some gratification knowing you saved some hard earned bucks.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:59 AM
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I always do my own power steering change. Use a turkey baster, remove fluid from reservoir, fill, start car, turn wheel lock to lock a few times and repeat three times.

Don't waste your money at a dealer for this service.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,974 Likes on 7,210 Posts

Originally Posted by ardifan
08 XJ VDP 30k miles; dealer is recommending the following (car runs perfectly); "Fuel service" at $170. "fuel filter" at $115 and "power steering fluid flush" at $115. My suspicion is that this helps the dealer more than it helps my car.

Your suspicion is probably correct....

Don't know exactly what each entails or why it's necessary.

First I must say that, from a business aspect, it's shameful that they let you leave the shop with no idea of what the services were, how they are performed, and why they are recommended. Very poor training of service staff. Or perhaps they were just making the recommendations because they are instructed to do so and have no true belief on their own part that you actually need them. It's hard to sell what you don't believe in. Or maybe they're just lazy and plod along knowing that every so often someone will simply said 'yes' with no effort on their part.

In this case no harm done but in some other situation with some other customer recommended services might be very legitimately needed but the customer ends up saying 'no'....to his own detriment....because the service staff didn't do their jobs properly and explain the how-and-why of things.

Anyhow.....

I agree with the others on the filter filter. That's a 'yes'.

The p/s fluid flush is iffy. I'd say that no harm will come of saying 'no' since you have just 30k miles. Personally, though, I really like fresh fluids and lubricants every few years....even if only on a 'feel good' basis....so I would probably say 'yes' since it's only $115. But that's just me. "No' is probably a better answer for most people.

The 'Fuel Service' is a toughy since we really don't know what they'll be doing. It might be a injector flushing/cleaning procedure and there might be some actual benefit.....but not likely needed on a 30k mile car. If, as someone here mentioned, they're adding a can of additive to your gas tank for $170, well, that's obviously a crock.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-03-2015, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Don B
and they just happen to be two of the highest profit-margin "services" the dealer can perform on your car, that is, if they actually even perform them.

[
Hope you don't mind a little nudge into the ribs......

I thought casting aspersions on Jag dealers was something we were trying to avoid around here, especially considering the number of past and present dealership employees we have on board.

No?

There's no shame in making a good profit, obviously, and we don't even know which dealer is in question so suggesting that they won't do the work they're charging for seems a little out of line to me.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-03-2015, 12:15 PM
Received 13,278 Likes on 6,567 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Hope you don't mind a little nudge into the ribs......

I thought casting aspersions on Jag dealers was something we were trying to avoid around here, especially considering the number of past and present dealership employees we have on board.

No?

There's no shame in making a good profit, obviously, and we don't even know which dealer is in question so suggesting that they won't do the work they're charging for seems a little out of line to me.

Cheers
DD

Hi Doug,

Your point is well taken. My comments were based on personal experience with some auto dealers and independent shops (and the accounts of close friends who work for dealers), but since I don't have personal experience with the dealer ardifan visited I may indeed have been out of line to suggest that dealer might charge for work that was not actually performed.

My suspicions (and cynicism) were aroused by the price quoted for a fuel filter swap and the other services recommended at such low mileage. My impression was that the service manager was testing ardifan to determine his level of knowledge and to see how much money he was willing to part with. The need for the proposed services is so subjective that it would be difficult for a knowledgeable customer to argue that they would not be beneficial, so the service manager is in an easily defended gray area.

There is certainly no shame in making a great profit, unless it is derived from selling unnecessary services to easily-duped customers, or from charging for services not performed at all.

My apologies if I have offended any of our dealer-affiliated members, and my gratitude to Doug for holding me accountable.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-03-2015 at 04:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Doug (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Received 2,265 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by trosty
Save some money, buy the parts and fit them yourself. The fuel service can be done by putting some sea foam in your car at the next fill up.
Sorry, but Seafoam contains nothing that will degunk the fuel system on a modern car, not that they gunk up in the first place. Although great for it's original intended purpose when first offered 70+ years ago, it's nothing more than a mixture of maybe $1. worth of light oil, naptha and rubbing alcohol.

Dealers foisting scam-like procedures on owners are fair game for criticism in my book.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Don.

After 30+ years at dealerships I have a good working knowledge of both the good and bad. I suffer no delusions....but I'll admit to being a bit sensitive when outright fraud is suggested in (what I perceive as) a rather casual manner.

Anyhow, I've already belabored the issue more-than-enough and I appreciate your reply.

All's well

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Don B (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

My tuppence worth is to say look at what Jaguar recommend in the service sheets. I have to say, a lot depends on where in the world the car is located. In places where fuel stations are a bit casual with storage, frequent fuel filter replacement is a good preventative measure, as would be a fuel system service, (if we knew what the shop was proposing to do !). As for PS fluid replacement, I have to say I have never, ever, done this on a car, and am puzzled it was even suggested. Anybody had PS systems fail ? No, I thought not !

Old 01-03-2015, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
As for PS fluid replacement, I have to say I have never, ever, done this on a car, and am puzzled it was even suggested. Anybody had PS systems fail ? No, I thought not !

Heh heh....untold millions have never had a transmission, differential, or engine fail but that doesn't prevent them from replacing those oils every-so-often...or suggesting that others do the same . P/S oil is not immune from degradation.

In fairness, outright failures of p/s systems are rare indeed. Often, though, a noisy system will quiet down if the old oil is flushed out. And some of the older systems that suffer morning sickness will sometimes improve with fresh p/s oil.

I change the p/s oil on any car I own. It's disgusting what comes out! A full drain-out once... and then once a year or so I empty just the reservoir and top off with fresh....just to keep the oil sweet, so to speak.

It's not likely that the OP will gain anything by changing the p/s oil at just 30k miles, though.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-04-2015, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I stand corrected !