XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Deciding on how to replace failed air-struts

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 01:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Deciding on how to replace failed air-struts

I am dealing w/ a car that has 2 struts gone. Car has little over 100k mi on it. The condensor pump is gone too. I have read the forums for as much postings as I could find related to this issue.

By now I have got a very good idea of how this air suspension system works ... But I need to make some financial decisions about the repair.

I have 3 options, it seems.
1) replace the 2 w/ new ones from Arnott.
2) replace them w/ 2 pulled from salvaged cars (here locally).
3) replace the entire system w/ coil over spring (Arnott's conversion kit, * although I found strutmasters offers a conversion kit geared for 04-09 XJ8's at about $150 less than Arnott's BUT does Not "seem" to address the sensor/signal to the CATS).

#3 seems the most worry-free for long run. I like to know about stiffyness/flattness of the ride though. And this is the most expensive approach.

#1 seems the middle cost. But the other 2 struts might go any time.

#2 seems the least expensive. But now I would have not just 2, but 4 struts that could go out any time.

So #1 & 2, could have me spend money again in a very short term.

My question to the more knowledgable folks here is:
Given the mileage on my car (04 model w/ 110 k mi), let's say for the next 1 year (let's put it at driving another 12k miles) which method may be least expensive? (The answer requires some guestimate of when another strut (or other component) might need being replaced).

Thank You

Old 12-13-2013, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

There is a 4th option, which is to replace with Bilstein after-market units. They made the OEM air springs but now supply directly into the market. However, they are NOT cheap ! (but cheaper than a Jaguar dealer)

Air Spring - C2C41347 | Jaguar XJ - X350 - XJR | Jaguar | British Parts UK

Arnott supply either rebuilt OEMs with a new rubber diaphragm, on an exchange basis, but the shock is not replaced, or new units without the hard/soft shock switching. So with these latter you lose the CATS facility on the car, but do you really need it ?

Old 12-13-2013, 06:22 PM

Well, Fraser, my objective was to figure out which of the 3 (or as your put it 4) options, is going to be the least expensive for the next 12,000 or so miles.

Just off the bat it seems that would be the #2 option. I enlisted your guys' opinions to include the fault factors of this somewhat complicated and prone-to-breakdown-at-my-high-mileage (110k mi) air-suspension system.

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced mine bad air struts with used ones. There is a place in CA that sells used jag parts. $100 shipped to Florida. They are honest people. If the part goes bad they will send u a new one.

The conversion kit from strut master does not work on a vanden plas... just the xj8.. I called and spoke to the R&D department. .. It won't say it on the website but if u call they will tell u.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:04 AM

GvilleVDP: PM me please w/ the contact info of that source for used struts.
My car is not the VDP - just regular xj8. I really AM leery of using used struts, BUT at the same time may not have a lot of choice b/c new ones are expensive when I have to replace 2. The conversion kit also costs more than the used struts.

I found a shop in GA that sells used ones for $250 each and gives 6-months warranty; they sell rebuilt ones for $499 and offer 1-year warranty (I believe they require you to deposit your bad struts - may be they re-use the material). But your source seems to offer better price.

Thank You.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:06 AM

I wrote a reply to your messge couple of mins ago but it probably posted as a regular post and not as a "reply". You can see it in this thread.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member

Which of the struts have failed, one front, one rear, or just one end ? The thought struck me that you could always put one used one and one Bilstein one on and hope the used one lasts the 12k miles, and then save up for another Bilstein unit. This way the cost is spread out. Of course if the used unit keeps going, you are quid's-in. (English expression for "in the money").

What you do depends on how long you're going to keep the car.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Basa
GvilleVDP: PM me please w/ the contact info of that source for used struts.
My car is not the VDP - just regular xj8. I really AM leery of using used struts, BUT at the same time may not have a lot of choice b/c new ones are expensive when I have to replace 2. The conversion kit also costs more than the used struts.

I found a shop in GA that sells used ones for $250 each and gives 6-months warranty; they sell rebuilt ones for $499 and offer 1-year warranty (I believe they require you to deposit your bad struts - may be they re-use the material). But your source seems to offer better price.

Thank You.
The number is 916-858-0000. The parts come with a warranty and they test them before they ship them out. For $100, you can't beat it. Say a shop in Gainesville , Florida referred you.

As far as changing them in pairs. You don't have too. I didn't. My car rides like a champ. I have one new Arnott front left original front right. And used back left original back right. I did buy two from him just in case. And the little sensor that measures ride height is 25$ with all the linkage. Bought that as a spare as well.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GvilleVDP
I replaced mine bad air struts with used ones. There is a place in CA that sells used jag parts. $100 shipped to Florida. They are honest people. If the part goes bad they will send u a new one.
The conversion kit from strut master does not work on a vanden plas... just the xj8.. I called and spoke to the R&D department. .. It won't say it on the website but if u call they will tell u.

Why I wonder? I thought the XJ8 and VDP model rocked the same units.. and the XJR had it's own "setup"?

Old 12-14-2013, 01:27 PM

Super, guys!

Fraser, my gone struts are 1 on each end, and at opposite corners. I'll need the condensor too.

GvilleVDP: That price is awesome. I will have to dial up and ask them how long their warranty runs. The shop I had found in GA that sells the used ones for $250 - they offer 6 months warranty.
Come to think of these "warranties", it can be a bit subjective - unless a few people that we know here have dealt w/ those shops and are happy w/ the struts. Because yeah, a seller might offer us warranty but by the time you tow your car to a shop, have the shop take out the bad strut, and reinstall the replacement, and you also calculate the shipping cost of returning the failing strut, ummm the wallet meter will keep running.

But I still like their price - hard to beat it.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Reason you can just swap out one strut is because, being air springs, they don't sack-out like steel ones do. Of course, eventually the shock absorbers wear a bit, so this can be unbalanced, but modern Bilsteins (the OEM), last for a helluva long time, like over 80k miles or even more, I believe.

So, Basa, you need a front and a rear spring unit of the relevant setting for your car, (Comfort or Sport). All XJRs are Sport, but I'm not sure about the other models. Clearly you cannot mix air and steel-coil units. For 'condenser' I assume you mean the air compressor.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:49 PM

Super, guys!

Fraser, my gone struts are 1 on each end, and at opposite corners. I'll need the condensor too.

GvilleVDP: That price is awesome. I will have to dial up and ask them how long their warranty runs. The shop I had found in GA that sells the used ones for $250 - they offer 6 months warranty.
Come to think of these "warranties", it can be a bit subjective - unless a few people that we know here have dealt w/ those shops and are happy w/ the struts. Because yeah, a seller might offer us warranty but by the time you tow your car to a shop, have the shop take out the bad strut, and reinstall the replacement, and you also calculate the shipping cost of returning the failing strut, ummm the wallet meter will keep running.

But I still like their price - hard to beat it.
Well I replaced the air strut my self... it's not that hard. And from my personal experience, those guys are awesome. If the part fails they will replace it. They did it for me.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by The_Ikon

Why I wonder? I thought the XJ8 and VDP model rocked the same units.. and the XJR had it's own "setup"?
They said something about the VDP being heavier than the xj8 and something about it not fitting. I asked a ton of questions, got to the R&D department and they said 100% wouldn't fit. :\ if it did in would have bought it.. F the air suspension lol. I'm tired of fooling with it.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:54 PM

IKon:
The xj8 and xjr are quite different in weight. That could have a bearing on what you were wondering. The XJR is really heavy. Going to XJ8 they made a big difference by using aluminum for the body - incidentally the same weight issue of the XJR was also a factor in their trans going out earlier.

VDP is also heavier than the regular style. It follows the same cut off model year of 97-03 heavier | 04-09 lighter. And then you have the added weight of the VDP itself.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:01 AM

Fraser:

Yeah, that was my term for the air pump/"compressor"

Still, really this air-strut design is very cumbersome and wallet AND maintenance unfriendly. I personally think of it as a volnerability. A whole lot of extraneous piping (i.e. additional structures) for practically quite little gain. I was not too happy to read that in the next gen (x351) they carried this air-strut idea over.

I guess from the business point of view why not. That translates into more parts sale.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

Fraser:

Yeah, that was my term for the air pump/"compressor"

Still, really this air-strut design is very cumbersome and wallet AND maintenance unfriendly. I personally think of it as a volnerability. A whole lot of extraneous piping (i.e. additional structures) for practically quite little gain. I was not too happy to read that in the next gen (x351) they carried this air-strut idea over.

I guess from the business point of view why not. That translates into more parts sale.
I think Jaguar realised it was overkill, as the X351, (new XJ) only has air at the rear, it's steel coils at the front.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:58 AM

Fraser
This brings up an interesting point. I am now curious about mixing it like that in the x350's. When an air-strut goes out, I mean if it is a front one I am curious how it would ride if we replace both the front ones w/ air-springs (just making sure the sensor sends the signal from the new springs to the CATS computer); and by the same token if the damaged strut is from the rear, in that case replace Only the damaged strut - but w/ another air strut.

I haven't come across any posting that shows anyone has done this.

But now I am curious.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:44 PM

Update. The place in CA I bought my used air struts from is out of stock on the front. Annnnnd the price jumped 100. I found a leak in my front right last night.. called today and he said 250 shipped... I said wtf man. I've bought 3 at 100 and he said " supply and demand "

Soooooo ... kinda lame

Old 12-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought a 2004 VDP for Mrs BoxxMann and I have an 02 MB CL500. My car has the infamous Mercedes ABC hydraulic suspension in it. The CL/SL-ABC MB owners community pays strict attention to this suspension for the reason that it's Uber Dinero when anything goes kaput with it - and it does all the time. That said, I have been considering a Strutmaster Conversion for my CL and I have ridden in a friend's CL with a Strutmaster's Conversion.

My thoughts on the coilover refit are complex. Suffice it to say that it makes more sense to go that route for the reason that the MB ABC (hydraulic system) is very costly to repair making the 1500 for a coilover the realistic option.

Did the coil converted car ride well? Yep...could I tell? Not really, but I can guess that in the CL that one would notice if you pushed the car really hard...anyhow, my point was not to talk about MB cars here...seeing as Mrs Boxx loves her VDP, I have a plan in place to convert that car with a Strumasters when the day comes where it becomes necessary...and my CL will get the same when that day arrives.

In my opinion I can't see putting good money into a 10 year old car to repair costly parts when 1500 bucks closes the door forever. Moreover, the piece of mind with a coil suspended car is worth it, and it's especially worth it in a MB car for when the ABC dies the car drops to the floor and you stop dead in your tracks.

Boxx

Old 12-18-2013, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by BoxxMann
I just bought a 2004 VDP for Mrs BoxxMann and I have an 02 MB CL500. My car has the infamous Mercedes ABC hydraulic suspension in it. The CL/SL-ABC MB owners community pays strict attention to this suspension for the reason that it's Uber Dinero when anything goes kaput with it - and it does all the time. That said, I have been considering a Strutmaster Conversion for my CL and I have ridden in a friend's CL with a Strutmaster's Conversion.

My thoughts on the coilover refit are complex. Suffice it to say that it makes more sense to go that route for the reason that the MB ABC (hydraulic system) is very costly to repair making the 1500 for a coilover the realistic option.

Did the coil converted car ride well? Yep...could I tell? Not really, but I can guess that in the CL that one would notice if you pushed the car really hard...anyhow, my point was not to talk about MB cars here...seeing as Mrs Boxx loves her VDP, I have a plan in place to convert that car with a Strumasters when the day comes where it becomes necessary...and my CL will get the same when that day arrives.

In my opinion I can't see putting good money into a 10 year old car to repair costly parts when 1500 bucks closes the door forever. Moreover, the piece of mind with a coil suspended car is worth it, and it's especially worth it in a MB car for when the ABC dies the car drops to the floor and you stop dead in your tracks.

Boxx
If you have a VDP like me, Strut masters says their conversion kit won't fit a VDP. Just the xj8. But arnott conversation kit will... and in my opinion arnott is a better quality product. The kit is 1499 and they send u a prepaid shipping label for your old struts and give u $200 when they receive them. So kit drops down ton$1299. I plan on doing this.

The following users liked this post:
BoxxMann (12-18-2013)

Quick Reply: Deciding on how to replace failed air-struts