XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Differential Seals Leak in Winter.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Differential Seals Leak in Winter.

We have a 2005 XJ VDP and the gear lube in my differential leaks only in the winter time. It is leaking where the axle spline passes through the side of the housing. Oil gets slung onto the exhaust pipe and stinks after we return to the garage and the equipment cools off. There are droplets on the floor where the lube drips off the undercarriage.

This began after getting a differential replaced under warranty and near the expiration. The mechanics had replaced the seal as part of the succession of attempts to rid the car of a thrumming noise while under load. Since they put in a new seal, they didn't want to do it again. The darn thing seals up very well in spring, summer, and fall, but begins leaking again during winter.

After all of the warranty expired I bought and had them replace the left half shaft since I thought the sealing shoulder might be damaged. The new shaft is no better and the seal seems to be leaking worse this winter. Perhaps it's because it's been much colder this year.

The only reason I can think that it leaks in winter only is that the shaft may be shrinking in length in the cold and disengaging from the seal ring. In the warmer weather perhaps it expands to engage the seal better.

Does anyone have any experience with a problem like this? I make sure the lube stays up to the level, but it's a nuisance and a mess. Help please!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:45 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

hmm odd one what sort of change in temp are you having where you live?

Old 02-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,956 Posts

There is logic in what you say, because it is well known that the plastic of oil seals hardens up when it is cold. They used to be made of neoprene, but times have maybe changed this. I can only suggest you get the seal changed again but maybe at a different shop. If not done properly, the seal can get damaged at fitting time.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Utah is Temperate, Very Hot to Very Cold

Utah is far from the ocean so our weather changes with whatever jet stream passes over and is very much seasonal with the angle of the sun. We have temperatures over 100°F (~40°C) in July and early August. The coldest weather comes in January and this year it fell to -2°F (~-20°C) at my house. It was cold enough and long enough to cause me some freezing trouble in the air suspension for a week or two this winter. The leaking seems to start of stop, depending on the temperature trend, at about 50°F (~10°C).

I've talked to a guy that works on Land Rovers and he said that the seals normally leaked when hot. He'd never encountered one that leaked only when cold.

I'm not afraid of tackling a replacement myself. The trick is to disassemble the rear links to withdraw the half-shaft, replace the seal, then reinsert the axle and bolt in the links again. I don't know if I have to preset the bearing in the differential or if I can replace the seal without removing the side cup or cap. I'd probably have to get the wheel alignment checked, too. Such a pain.

I guess I should visit my Land Rover guy and pick his brain for tips.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 04 XKR with the same issue except mine leaks year around. The Diff is the same as on my 04 XKR and there are no seals, the the outer bearing W/O-ring
(#W0133-1656836) is the seal.
The insane thing is the cost of the bearing, $340-$380 and there is also a collar that separates the inner and outer bearing ($25-) that should be changed at the same time and they are pressed on. If you add the labor on to it 1-1/2-2 Hr's per side it become a costly repair so you have to decide if you just want to live with it and check and top off the diff when you change your oil or spend the $ to have it repaired properly.
I found the bearing on a site for about $280 and hesitated when I tried to order it the next day the site updated it price to $430-