XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

ding removal kit??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 09:49 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default ding removal kit??

my baby is nearly perfectly straight all for a handful of ting dings that are pretty much visible only to the trained eye. seems like these aluminum panels are like ding magnets. has anybody used any of the over the shelf "ding puller" kits with success? biggest one is shallow and about diameter of a quarter , none have any creases or paint damage.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Recently when I was getting my truck fixed at a local body shop, after being rear ended, I asked whether the shop could handle Aluminum body panels.

I was told "yes however". He went on to explain that you cannot "re bend" Aluminum panels as they tend to crack unless its a very minor dent.

The minor dent he would fill. Larger dents they replace the whole panel.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:09 PM

the dings im talking about are the type you have to get your eye low to the panel to see. they are there and they annoy me! I don't think these would even be worth filling.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

Had 20 dings removed when I bought my car by a GOOD paintless repair guy that does all the Jaguar dealer cars. They are all aluminum now. None came back, none cracked. Pick a sunny warm day. He did my whole car in the lot outside, about 1hr and $80.00 later, and perfectly straight. The only one he didn't do, was a low one on the drivers door. He knew about the double tempered glass being fragile at the edges. He told me if I removed the inside panel he could take care of it. He didn't want to drill a hole, buy a window, and I did't want to change one.
Beware, some lesser guys would drill a hole for their tool, and pop a plastic plug in. Most customers would never know, but it's not the right way.
I'll call him back in the spring for a couple of new dings and remove the required inside panels, to take care of everything.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:48 AM

wow , that is a bargain indeed. unfortunately around here , all the "dent guys" typically charge $110 per panel. that doesn't matter if you have one or one dozen on that panel. bummer. that's why I thought I would give one of those puller kits like "ding king"

Old 03-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 344 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Maine
Had 20 dings removed when I bought my car by a GOOD paintless repair guy that does all the Jaguar dealer cars. They are all aluminum now. None came back, none cracked. Pick a sunny warm day. He did my whole car in the lot outside, about 1hr and $80.00 later, and perfectly straight. The only one he didn't do, was a low one on the drivers door. He knew about the double tempered glass being fragile at the edges. He told me if I removed the inside panel he could take care of it. He didn't want to drill a hole, buy a window, and I did't want to change one.
Beware, some lesser guys would drill a hole for their tool, and pop a plastic plug in. Most customers would never know, but it's not the right way.
I'll call him back in the spring for a couple of new dings and remove the required inside panels, to take care of everything.

Mark, can you please elaborate on the process he uses (I mean without drilling holes)?