XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disappointed

Hey fellas.....Bought a brand new '08 XJR a few months back...Here's the story so far:

1. Pre-delivery inspection - misfire, one spark plug replaced
2. 700 miles on the odometer - antifreeze leak from bad radiator hose
3. Minor issues ( loose carpeting in the back, stuck ashtray cover )
4.Intermittent noises of every kind from squeeky steering to squeeky brakes

5.About a month ago, the car would shake violently in the morning for a few seconds - dealer pulled multiple misfire codes - injector cleaner twice - o-rings replaced (( supposedly there was a TSB on the o- rings )....the car still shook...finally they replaced all the remaining spark plugs....checked the fuel - told me the fuel was dark...I thought fine, may be the fuel was bad, but then why would it only affect idle for a few seconds in the morning and otherwise not affect the performance of the car...Anyway..after all the plugs were replaced, the shaking was almost completely gone for about a week, and now has returned....

6. The moonroof rack is scheduled to be replaced next week as it is making a horrible noise when the roof is opened..

I called the service advisor today andn they will be talking to Jaguar on Monday...I have also gotten in touch with the Jaguar...I am hoping they will replace the car or buy it back...The car only has 9000 miles on it!!! And I though my E55 was problematic!...

Old 06-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with the above post about buying "new" but it's your money and owning a new car does have some advantages. However a car is a terrible investment.

I'm sorry to hear about your XJR. Cars are machines and sometimes a bad car falls through the cracks. Quality control is a management decision and Jaguar along with other OEM's can always tighten the reigns if willing to decrease the bottom line. I have been in the automotive industry for close to 30 years and have seen "lemons" from all makes.

My '04 XJR has been flawless. My GF's '06 E55 AMG has been a nightmare. (Power window motor, P/S pump, head gasket, and other minor issues during the first 13 months of ownership). Mercedes finally replaced the car. The 2nd one has been trouble-free, so go figure. Toyotas are supposed to be trouble-free; my '07 Sequoia has been another car that has had way too many warranty visits. Ironically the one car I never had any trouble with was a F355 which gave me 65K miles of trouble free service.

So the bottom line, is you can play the odds but if you run into a bad car, it can be a nightmare regardless of make. Tell Jaguar you want to take the car to arbitration. That's the magic word.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:29 PM

^ +1. You my friend got a lemon, & I really hope you in a non belligerant yet persistent way press for a replacement car with Jaguar & the dealer. Otherwise it's a good car. Fun to drive & great to look at especially with the new updated grill in the front (looks mean). I do feel your pain with the disappointent. I would be livid! but you have to press for a new car as I have a feeling it's going to be "If it ain't one thing it's the other".
Good luck ....
________
silversurfer vaporizer

Last edited by sanand911; 02-08-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Sorry to read your problems. I would go for a replacement car. Enough is enough and Jaguar must be shelling out on all the dealer repairs. I know someone that was two for two on Lemon Merecedes. One was an S Class, the other was a CLS. Traded the CLS which continued to be a hassle for a Q-Porte Automatic Maserati which has been 100% trouble-free. You'd think that car was a Camry it so trouble-free... Go figure.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Old 06-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your unfortunate experience reminds me of when I lived and worked in Moscow (1992 - 1998). I bought a brand new Lada Zhiguli for about $5,000 -- basically a Russian-made Fiat 128 sedan. One year old Ladas were worth as much (sometimes more) than new ones as the owner spent the first year fixing what was wrong with the car when it was made.

I've owned many upscale cars -- BMW, MB, Porsche, Audi, etc. (no Jag yet, but looking for a 2005 VDP), but never a brand new one. First, I prefer someone else to take the 50%+ depreciation. Second, I prefer them to be the defacto "Quality Control Department" and deal with all the warranty repair issues. It's sad in this day and age that the customer has become manufacturers' QC. And it's not just Jaguar, but pretty much every European (and US, if there are any left) car company.

Hope it works out eventually.

Twotone

Last edited by twotone; 06-19-2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-24-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Sorry to read your problems. I would go for a replacement car. Enough is enough and Jaguar must be shelling out on all the dealer repairs. I know someone that was two for two on Lemon Merecedes. One was an S Class, the other was a CLS. Traded the CLS which continued to be a hassle for a Q-Porte Automatic Maserati which has been 100% trouble-free. You'd think that car was a Camry it so trouble-free... Go figure.

Got a call from the dealer today...they said they may have found a leak during a "smoke test"...I'm not quite sure what that is....they said they found a leak on the bottom of the car ( EGR? Evap system? ) and that should supposedly solve the problem of rough cold idle once fixed...I know they've done smoke tests before and never found any leaks...hmmm...I know the dealer is trying, but this is getting old....

Old 06-26-2009, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol

Well...got a call from the dealer...they are sayin it's the EGR that needs to be replaced...it's gonna take 3-5 days to get the part so I won't get the car back until next week...

I talked to Jaguar about replacing the car...so far they came back with the following:

1. Make one month payment
2. 4500 dollar credit toward a new Jaguar
3. free extended warranty

I did not accept any of these...while the extended warranty is nice, I don't want to keep using it all the time...I told them that If they want me to buy another Jaguar in he future and if they stand behind their product, they need to replace the car. Customer service rep told me she will relay this to the regional manager...we'll see what happens...

Old 06-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

I'd recommend letting them fix this issue and see what happens. If the car still gives you trouble, then go after them. You could get a new car and be worse off than now! I have an 04 XJ8 and the first year had to have quite a few trips to the dealer service, but it as been very reliable since. Good luck!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

I'd keep talking "replace the car" to anything they come back with. Is your car the first pick in color combo you wanted? Could be they fix the car and that's that (no more trips to the dealer), but I would not conceed in your requests for a replacement.

If they do fix the car, I would want the extended warranty for free and a credit on the next Jaguar purchase. Perhaps you could sell the credit...

Old 07-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Yea, i bought a 02 xtype, no porbelms at all, except for a fuel system replacement. and my dads 1999 ford f -150, i hate ford by the way, its has 330 k kilometers on it, and its never had any probelms on it, and we drive that thing like a tank.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get rid of it!

I had a serious of problems with an 07 XJR where they could not find the problem in the front end where it had a thunk. I got a lawyer and Jaguar took the car back on a lemon law. I cant say the process was quick but it was relatively easy.

I would buy a Jag again. In Fact waiting to see this new XJ.
Cars no matter the price are made in thousands, bound to be problems.
My previous Jag was flawless.