XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Disgusted with dealer. Need advice 04 xj8 probable short in Can?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Disgusted with dealer. Need advice 04 xj8 probable short in Can?

Car started having problems with radio and ac shutting off twice, then a few days later it completely dies with restricted performance showing on dash. Towed to local Jag dealer, Matheny, and have been 50 days plus in and out of dealer. Horrible dealer service has communication problems, confusion, replaced parts without fully testing the car after I told them the problems I have been experiencing. Waited 30 days for an ECM module, then the car still doesn't run. Replaced fuel relay switch. $1800 for parts at dealer plus rental cars and still the same problems pop up within a day of driving it home. Car dash starts showing restricted performance, brake failure transmission failure power steering failure. Took the car back and they want $800 more to diagnose the problem/probable short that should have been detected in the first place. Car sat for 2 more weeks while Jag US caseworker told us dealer would test the car as the same problem is recurring. Picked it up 2 weeks later and dealership said they were waiting for me to approve payment for more diagnostics. Just disgusted with Matheny. A hyundai dealership could give better service than these clowns.

Does anyone recommend someone in Jacksonville to work on Jags other than the dealer? I am certain I have a short somewhere as the car goes crazy right after I drive it over the speed bumps at my mother's nursing home. Jag dealer service advisor told me to drive it so they can get more codes after I took it back with at least 5 fault messages. I guess they think the car will give a code that says I have a short??? Not likely. The miscommunications and the service advisor telling lies have got me so disgusted. The Jag US case worker is great, but my service advisor seems to have memory problems. Thanks for any help. Ready to trade for a MB after only 6 months of ownership. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I really love this car but I can't keep it if I can't find someone I can trust to work on it. Thanks!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Whoeeeee! I hate these diagnostic horror stories. This does sound like a CAN bus problem, the wiring system that ties all the modules together. The problem is the CAN bus is a fairly new concept (1995 is not all that new but techs are not all up to speed) and not all the techs knwo how to diagnsoe it. You may need to carry it elsewhere. I will say that a bad throttle body is well know for multiple codes about system failures and this model car is well known for the problem. The failures you mention are not all the usual ones though. Try cleaning the throttle body electrical connectors first anyway, use a good electrcial component cleaner like CRC.

The following users liked this post:
jaxhusky (04-11-2011)