XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Do I Need a Battery Tender & Other Misc. Questions? - 04 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I Need a Battery Tender & Other Misc. Questions? - 04 XJR

Hi All:

I am a newbie to the forum, as well as a new Jag owner (2004 XJR - 45K miles). I recently traded-up from my 2000 BMW 740i and am enjoying the heck the out of the new Jag.

I have a couple of questions and apologize in advance if they are typical newbie issues:

1. I plan on reserving my new baby/second wife for weekend driving (50-75 miles of highway driving per week). I live in the Washington, D.C. area and keep her in my garage (not climate controlled).

Do I need to worry about connecting a battery tender or is a week between drives not really an issue under these circumstances? If a tender is suggested, any recommendations/instructions?

2. She seems hesistant at times engaging into first gear from a stop and shifting from first to second. This is somewhat mitigated in sports mode, but still happens from time to time. I notice this more when the engine is not all the way warmed up, although its sometimes happens well into a drive.

Is this common/normal? I did a pre-purchase inspection and everything checked out. However, I am a bit concerned and neverhad this issue with the BMW. I would appreciate any thoughts or reassurances.

3. Any issues with using Ventil Sauber and Jectron on the supercharged engine? I used these between tune-ups on my BMW with good results.

4. Is there a way to switch-off the half headlight next to XEONs? If possible, I would prefer for only the XEONs to shine when the headlights are engaged. Not a huge issue, but one that has been bugging me.

Thanks for your help and I am very excited about being part of this forum.

Regards,
Jedd

Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi All:

I am a newbie to the forum, as well as a new Jag owner (2004 XJR - 45K miles). I recently traded-up from my 2000 BMW 740i and am enjoying the heck the out of the new Jag.
-Welcome to jaguar forums , good to have you here.

I have a couple of questions and apologize in advance if they are typical newbie issues:
- Sure we are here to help

1. I plan on reserving my new baby/second wife for weekend driving (50-75 miles of highway driving per week). I live in the Washington, D.C. area and keep her in my garage (not climate controlled).
- Thats very nice of you and I used to live in Arlington, VA so we are former neighbors

Do I need to worry about connecting a battery tender or is a week between drives not really an issue under these circumstances? If a tender is suggested, any recommendations/instructions?
- No you dont have to worry about it as long as battery is tested and seems allright.

2. She seems hesistant at times engaging into first gear from a stop and shifting from first to second. This is somewhat mitigated in sports mode, but still happens from time to time. I notice this more when the engine is not all the way warmed up, although its sometimes happens well into a drive.
- Yes this sometimes happens when the transmission is cold, there is also an additive you need to add one time only, take it the jaguar dealer they will tell you what it is.

Is this common/normal? I did a pre-purchase inspection and everything checked out. However, I am a bit concerned and neverhad this issue with the BMW. I would appreciate any thoughts or reassurances.
- It's not common but 30-40 percent ZF6 Trannys do it.

3. Any issues with using Ventil Sauber and Jectron on the supercharged engine? I used these between tune-ups on my BMW with good results.
- Nope, it will help cleaning the injectors, but ofcourse you have to fuel your car up at Shell with only premium gas. NO 87 octane.

4. Is there a way to switch-off the half headlight next to XEONs? If possible, I would prefer for only the XEONs to shine when the headlights are engaged. Not a huge issue, but one that has been bugging me.
- Yes there is remove the two yellow bulbs from the housing.

Thanks for your help and I am very excited about being part of this forum.
- You are very welcome.
Regards,

Old 09-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all for your posts and emails. I appreciate the warm welcome.