XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Does Factory Satellite Radio = the presence of the ACM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Factory Satellite Radio = the presence of the ACM?

Hey everyone!

I hope to become a new owner of a 2006 XJ8L on Saturday and am already making plans for the car. The only thing I want to add is iPhone/iPod connectivity and it occured to me, the car may already be outfitted with the ACM necessary to do this.

One of the options is listed as:
SH
SATELLITE RADIO *Subscription sold separately* (PIO)
$450.00

If my research is correct, isn't the ACM necessary for the addition of SAT radio? This car has the NAV/Bluetooth option as well, if that matters.

I am hoping this might just be a matter of hunting down the ACM unit (presumably they would place it somewhere obvious so the owner could use the other features but I haven't gotten that out of the dealer yet.

Any feedback or thoughts appreciated!

A little about the car: it is silver on champagne, 66,800 miles for $17,888. Fairly complete service history, I see it has had the head gasket replaced and also the ignition coils. Those two items frighten me a bit.

It is at an independend Jag specialty shop getting a full buyer's inspection this morning, if all comes back rosy, I'm buying it.

Glad to have found the forum and hope to be an active participant!

Adrian

Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I have no clue about the acm/satellite radio thing but:
I've never had a modern car that couldn't get 75k+ out of coils and I won't even start on a car with that mileage having had a head gasket replacement. When they did the HG, did they find the root of its failure and fix that as well??? My last car, a Mercedes, went its whole life without a HG failure.....212k.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You were right to be suspiscous! The cat flunked its pre purchase inspection yesterday. The shop barely had it for a half hour before they noticed a strange noise from the front of the engine. They stopped the inspection, called me and said they believe the timing chain is on its way out and recommended no further time ($$$) be spent on it. I agreed and had the car returned.

Very disappointing, but better safe than sorry. I have no idea on the head gasket, I didn't have any additional info on it.

So, on I go. Might still consider the 2004+ Jags, but that was a big let down.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

You'll find one. I got mine at the Jag/lr dealer. She was a loaner that they finally decided to sell. Having been a loaner, all of her maintenance was up to date and she had an extended warranty that covers through the year. I've put 23k trouble free miles on since purchase in February and couldn't be happier.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

The presence of the factory sat radio doesn't imply the ACM.

Believe it or not the Sat radio module is hardwired FM modulated. (in the antenna line)

If you're looking for an XJ or XJR get in touch with me I'll find you the right car.

Take care,

George

The following users liked this post:
Safi (09-11-2012)