XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Does FEM need reprogrammed when replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does FEM need reprogrammed when replaced?

Hello all, Was wondering if anyone knew whether the Front Electronic Module on an '04 XJ8 has to be reprogrammed if replaced with identical part numbered module?

A few weeks ago, my headlights, front parking and front turn-signal lights quite working along with the passenger side mirror dead. Reseated and check all fuses and relays, and it started working again for a week.
Then problem reappeared with left headlight working but the inner ones dim, and the right headlight out.

Today, it's the left headlight out and right one working. When switched to "brights" they all come on ok. However I also noticed the headlights won't even come on anymore unless the ignition switch is turned on.

Checked the grounds on front headlights, all tight and good. I'm thinking it may be the Front Electronic Module gone bad. Hoping to avoid a dealer re-program if possible.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

I do not think the FEM needs to be reprogrammed, someone I am sure will correct me if I am wrong. Have you checked the connection plugs in the wiring loom behind the bumper?
Also it is not uncommon for the side lights to have water damage at their connections and that could cause a problem.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:57 PM

So far all the connections appear to be snug. However I've not yet figured out how to remove the plastic trim or door sills that cover the Front Electronic Module so as to check the connections there.

Haven't found any procedure on removing this piece. Not sure if they are snapped in place with some clips on back, or if there are some hidden screws or something. If anyone's knows or has taken them off before please enlighten me on the tip. This trim definitely has to come off to get to the module.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

The plastic trim clips in place. If you go to Ebay and look for "jaguar door sill trim" you will see pics of what some trim pieces look like on the underside.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:05 AM

Thanks Jack for the tip. I was able to pry up on the door sill and it popped right on out and didn't breaking anything. The sill has to come out before the kick plate can be removed which was a bit tricky getting out. There is one of those pressed or snapped in fasteners that holds it in place.

In order to get the Front Electronic Module out, you have to remove the two bolts for the hood release lever, then there are three nuts holding the module in place. However to get to the third nut, requires removing the carpet piece with the thick foam block underneath the floor mat. Not sure if the seat has to come out or not, I'll find out tomorrow.

I'm hoping once the module is out, I can inspect it for any cold solder joints. I'll give that a try and go from there.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:31 PM

Well, I didn't find any cold solder joints but I went ahead and re-soldered some of them that "may" have been questionable. Even with magnifying glass, these contacts are hard to see.

Put everything back together and no change. Looking into it further, found out the left headlight was simply a burned out bulb! I could have swore the right lamp was out before, but I obviously was wrong.

As far as the inner lights (brights) being on and dim while the "low beams" are on, apparently there are running lights in the upper portion of the headlamp which I never even noticed before. It helps to have plenty of sleep before troubleshooting problems that don't exist.

So, after replacing a burned out bulb my headlights are all working ok. The only issue I still have is the fact that the headlights will only come on when the key is turned on. I used to be able to turn lights on when key was off, but not anymore. The running lights will come on with key out or in off position, but not the headlights. If that's a problem with the FEM module, then I can live with it, not worth replacing for that.

I did have an issue with the passenger side mirror when this all first started. The mirror stopped working the same time the headlights acted up. However, I could faintly hear a motor in the mirror housing making noise like it was continuously running. Removed and checked all the fuses relating to that circuit (all were good) and problem when away and hasn't returned. Hopefully the Gremlins have moved on.

Attached Thumbnails Does FEM need reprogrammed when replaced?-img_2462.jpg   Does FEM need reprogrammed when replaced?-img_2463.jpg  
Old 11-03-2015, 06:16 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Piggybacking onto this thread, I see in the shop manual that the interior lights are also controlled by this box. My interior lights are acting weirdly; I posted a question but no replies yet. Wondering if reseating connections might help or if anyone has experienced bizarre symptoms of interior lights only coming on when odd combinations of controls are pushed but not in correct fashion.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Front Electronic Module

I have no low beam headlights in my 2000 S-type.
all fuses are good so I'm thinking the Front electronic module ( FEM) is to blame.

Both low beams stopped working at the same time, but all other lights are operational.

Any one who has had this issue and has fixed it could help with their experience.

Will the FEM need to be programmed after it is installed?

Regards

Avomatt

Old 02-13-2018, 09:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile No Low Beam Headlights

Hello all,
Both my low beam headlights went out at the same time or so I thought. The car battery had gone dead and I jump started the car. At the same time I rep[laced the fuel pump.

The fuses checked out fine and the wiring schematic shows no relays in the circuit only the Front or General electronic module. I suspected this was the issue.

Before I went any further I was encouraged to check the bulbs. I know that seems painfully obvious but because the outage involved both headlights simultaneously it seems highly likely it was a system fault and not a bulb.

Well, it was both bulbs. Nice

Old 02-14-2018, 11:54 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Problem with lights mirror electronic

The most common cause is.the.earth.connector they.corrode they are behind.the right.side.of the head light be careful they will.snap.had.same sort of.problems lighs going like Blackpool lights every.thing.done.once.cleand put grafight grease on.connector from Robert rawle