XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Don't click this unless you like carbon fiber mods (X358 specific)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Don't click this unless you like carbon fiber mods (X358 specific)

I have been a long time X-Type owner (as my signature may indicate), but in December I supersized y X-Type with an X358 L - 2008 with 26k miles. And like with my X-Type, I decided to bast@rdize it with modifications. After wheels and a little re-programming of ride height, I moved to the interior over the holiday break. I call it deforestation

The interior parts are all covered with 5D carbon fiber vinyl and the front splitters are real carbon fiber.

Also installed backup camera (if you look close at the back shot, you'll see it) and iPhone mirroring via NavTool + home brew front carbon fiber splitters.

I do strive for more of an OEM+ look, although reception I've received at all British field meets has been quite negative in past years. It seems only Arden and BBS modifications are permitted on these cars, but I prefer the creative route.

Last edited by exexpat; 01-02-2017 at 07:06 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by exexpat:
AD2014 (01-06-2017), caldoofy (01-03-2017), Datsports (01-03-2017), Panthro (01-04-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful, just the correct types of modifications.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks!

Here's a mind trip...

The third picture is of the momentary switch I used to select video inputs. It's killing me that in the photo it looks off center, but... notice the right hand cupholder size is larger. The switch is indeed centered.

Also, in case anyone is curious, pedal covers are OE style Mercedes-Benz (search AndyGo on Amazon) and exhaust tips are Adamesh finishers. Note that Adamesh sends super long (30mm) set studs for their tips and you need to find M8 x 1.25mm thread in 10 or 15mm length Allen head studs in black for this application. My local McLendon's Hardware luckily stocked them.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:50 PM
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Very nice, but how come you didn't carbon the cup holder? Every things around it shinny with carbon, the naked cup holder look awful.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member

Well, it's normally covered by the armrest unless I have a cup. As a semi-experienced vinyl wrapper, I can say it doesn't adhere or look good on textured surfaces like the cup holder.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:17 AM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Very nice! I do prefer the carbon fiber to the alloy finish. Which brakes are those?

Old 01-03-2017, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

Very cool , Looks good inside and out , Id like to have a crack at iPhone mirroring at some stage . Nice mods man .

Old 01-03-2017, 08:46 AM

I will be watching for your technical explanation on the electronic mods (including the air suspension lowering) and the progression pics of the add on carbon fiber pieces. Each time I view the work, I am more impressed.

The following users liked this post:
pkoko (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jimlew
I will be watching for your technical explanation on the electronic mods (including the air suspension lowering) and the progression pics of the add on carbon fiber pieces. Each time I view the work, I am more impressed.
x2

Old 01-03-2017, 02:15 PM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Awesome!

Old 01-03-2017, 05:36 PM
Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

Works well with a black interior...

Old 01-03-2017, 06:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very nice car, wondering how you got those metallic pedals (brake and accelerator)?. Could those be put on a 05 VDP?

Old 01-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

Love the mods overall, but I prefer the wood in the interior.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jimlew
I actually wasn't planning on doing a step-by-step for these, as most of this I found on the forum here...

Installing the NavTool
Link to buy: JAGUAR XJ-SERIES (XJ-TYPE) 2003-2009 NavTool video interfaces
Link for camera I used (looks closest to OE in my opinion): https://www.amazon.com/SallyBest-Wat.../dp/B00VUSVM8U
Link to momentary switch I used:
https://www.amazon.com/Momentary-But.../dp/B01CFZ910C
Installation guidance in a competing forum: Fitting Reversing Camera To XJ350 - complete install.
Updates to note: NavTool v3 has since "reduced confusion" by making the previously black shielded wires on the navigation interrupt plug both dark grey (NavTool instructions weren't updated to reflect this). Also the momentary switch needs to be wired to positive 12v, not ground as instructed to switch video signals. As the XJ is reverse grounded (like the NavTool instructions indicate for Land Rover and BMW), you do need to wire in a relay to flip outputs for reverse light wiring. Use the ignition lead at the OEM navigation harness and a ground (I grounded to the chassis of the OE navigation unit for camera, NavTool ground and parking brake ground

To get iPhone to connect, I used the following:
Lightning extension cable (to avoid seeing the next piece): https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Ext.../dp/B00OMBTMAM
Lightning to HDMI adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightni.../dp/B009WHV3BM
HDMI male-to-male coupling: https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Adap.../dp/B00IS0CBQ0
iSimple HDMI to Composite adapter: https://www.amazon.com/iSimple-ISHD0.../dp/B00LUX1F5K
Rca male-to-male coupler: https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GRA-101-.../dp/B000068O40
The above goes into Video 1 on the NavTool

I used a 12 ft RCA cable I already had to run from the trunk navigation unit to the center console near the rear climate/heated seat controls. The rest in hidden under the center console.

Lowering the car via SDD software
Where to buy Mongoose cable - search "JLR Mongoose Pro" then choose the vendor that you prefer.
SDD software download: Use v130 here, the newer software won't work offline and asks for dealer credentials to authenticate: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/8x1.../mongoose_v130

Note:
You can install on any Windows system XP up to Windows 10, provided it's a 32-bit version of Windows. With Windows 10, you do need to enable "Compatibility View" in Internet Explorer 11

Link for instructions once you have SDD running are also here in the forum:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ur-x350-75369/
(Cambo is another X-Type supersizer like me )

Carbon fiber splitters
These I should have taken photo progress, as it's not been done before to my knowledge. Sorry.

I did use these (link may not stay active long): Carbon Fiber Winglet Type 3 Lip Splitter Diffuser For Universal | eBay

Photo in case they go away:

Once you've made the cuts, then place under car in desired position. Mark where OE splash guard uses M6 Torx-headed mounting bolts. I then drilled 1/4" holes aligned to the sidemost and inner two splashguard bolts as primary mounting hardware. I purchased stainless steel M6 x 1mm thread x 30mm length bolts x 4 pieces with 8x matching stainless washers. Then I used 2 additional large (3/16" diameter) stainless steel blunt panhead screws spaced about an 1.5" from the M6 bolts to strengthen the mounting points. Those last 4 are drilled into the splashguard plastic only (not the bumper), so I can remove it with the winglets attached. I omitted the 2 M6 OE bolts under the foglights to aid removal of the splashguard in the future.

Hope all this helps.

By the way - and to answer another question - brakes are stock with ceramic pads to reduce dusting. I'm doing XFR calipers and rotors soon to go from 326mm to 380mm rotors like Caldoofy did. I just put the Brembo covers on them to clean the look a little. So no, they aren't Brembo calipers, but after doing 3 big brake conversions on other cars I've owned at a cost of around $10k total, I don't think the performance is justified for the cost. I think the OE 380mm single piston calipers at a total cost of around $500 for everything used + rotors/pads makes sense though. Will take more pictures when I do that conversion

The following 3 users liked this post by exexpat:
Datsports (01-03-2017), Mr_Elusive (07-27-2017), Panthro (01-05-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Torrid
Love the mods overall, but I prefer the wood in the interior.
Thanks. Everything in these cases is very subjective, but in my car's case and in my opinion, carbon fiber or a brushed metal finish (my second choice - I actually have brushed black aluminum vinyl in case I didn't like the carbon fiber look) suits the look of the car.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Don_p
very nice car, wondering how you got those metallic pedals (brake and accelerator)?. Could those be put on a 05 VDP?
These are found here: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ercedes+pedals

I did order the complete set - 4 pieces with dead pedal, but Amazon sent the set sans dead pedal and after returning, they re-sent the 3-piece set sans dead pedal, then after calling and returning a second time, they resent the 3-piece set sans dead pedal a third time. At that point I deemed my time more valuable than the $15.59 separate dead pedal and just ordered it standalone. So I'd recommend doing the same. They won't publish my negative review, because it likely points to bad Amazon fulfillment of the order versus the seller (AndyGo).

So order both these to save a royal headache:
https://www.amazon.com/AndyGo-DRILL-.../dp/B01FJ5TA3S
https://www.amazon.com/AndyGo-Stylin.../dp/B0194W2W28

I did need to remove the OE Jaguar brake pedal rubber cover and use the 2 existing mounting holes to mount the brake pedal cover, which I carefully razor cut the surrounding rubber to make it flat, the Mercedes brake pedal is smaller than our Jags' to fit it OE style (where you stretch the rubber around the pedal), but our pedal is exactly the same outer perimeter size of the Mercedes brake pedal cover. Dead pedal sticks on carpeted footrest area and gas pedal required 1 screw to mount. I used black allen screws + washers and lock nuts with squared heads so they blend in with the black rubber bumps they replace. I'd recommend getting M4 allen head screws that match the rubber bumps, all machine threaded in 20mm-ish length.

Last edited by exexpat; 01-03-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:33 AM

Thanks for all of the details and links to your sources. Extremely helpful post.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by exexpat
Well, it's normally covered by the armrest unless I have a cup. As a semi-experienced vinyl wrapper, I can say it doesn't adhere or look good on textured surfaces like the cup holder.

Exexpat is right, somethings just aren't meant to be wrapped in vinyl or wont stand up to wear and tear on high traffic places. I was sceptical when I saw the title of this post but have to say with the black interior, it looks good. Great job!

Oh BTW.... I work for a wrap company.... kinda lol

Old 07-26-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

I absolutely LOVE IT!!!!

Beautiful!!

Great job

Old 07-27-2017, 02:18 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Rear camera?

I don't see the rear camera in the photo. Can you point it out to me? Although I'm a woodworker by avocation, your carbon fiber is a beautiful job of getting what you want and making it look OE.