XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Door ding, will it buff out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 05:55 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Door ding, will it buff out?

Thanksgiving in the US is meant for giving thanks to the things we have.
Well, some of my respect for others was taken away when my car was driven into while parked outside my home.
I do not think this will buff out, and expect I need two new/used doors.
I will be getting an insurance estimate next week, but am thinking I will seek a $ payout for repair costs and get two used doors and have them painted to match and self repair.

Any guidance and thoughts appreciated, as to how to fix the door, I know what I would like to do if I could find who was responsible and who did not have the common decency to own up.
Not a happy kitty owner

Door ding, will it buff out?-door1.jpg

Door ding, will it buff out?-door2.jpg

Old 11-26-2016, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Sorry to see that damage dsetter.

Aluminum does not "beat out" like steel. It cracks.

If that happened to me in my neighborhood I would be looking at all neighbors cars and visitors they had.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:37 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

Dsetter, I just cr&^ped myself when I saw your pictures! I can't even imagine how it feels. Find 2 doors, swap the guts, bolt them on, and have someone paint em. Then If you find the culprit, beat them with the old doors.

The following users liked this post:
JXR (07-27-2020)
Old 12-01-2016, 01:29 AM

My plan is to find a set of doors and have them painted. Have found some on eBay for $250.
I also got a full repair quote, $3100!!! Now they did say they would paint the whole side of the car.

Still feeling quite miffed each time I get in it.
Thanks for thoughts.

Anyone have any leads on doors in CA?

Old 12-01-2016, 04:58 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Use Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market maybe you can even get the doors in the factory color, saving you time & labor.

The following users liked this post:
Lagonia (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by 06-XJR
Use Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market maybe you can even get the doors in the factory color, saving you time & labor.
FANTASTIC lead here. They had what I needed and on the color I needed. Best possible outcome.
Thanks

Old 12-03-2016, 01:36 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Hopefull the used doors arrives in perfect condition or you'll find yourself in the same conition once again.

Good luck.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:05 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by dsetter
FANTASTIC lead here. They had what I needed and on the color I needed. Best possible outcome.
Thanks
What a bummer to have happen. I Hope your insurance covered it.

I filed a claim under comprehensive when I discovered that someone had backed into the right rear corner of our SV8 in a parking lot and cracked the bumper cover and knocked out that corner's parking aid sensor. I had $100 deductible comp, but the insurance company claimed it was a collision which had $1000 deductible. I argued that collision was when a car is moving and involved in a crash, but they wouldn't budge. (the adjuster told me that was why he switched his own insurance to a different company than his employer).

BTW, what was the final cost of the doors? I have some pretty deep RR door dings I'd like to eliminate.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by philwarner
What a bummer to have happen. I Hope your insurance covered it.

I filed a claim under comprehensive when I discovered that someone had backed into the right rear corner of our SV8 in a parking lot and cracked the bumper cover and knocked out that corner's parking aid sensor. I had $100 deductible comp, but the insurance company claimed it was a collision which had $1000 deductible. I argued that collision was when a car is moving and involved in a crash, but they wouldn't budge. (the adjuster told me that was why he switched his own insurance to a different company than his employer).

BTW, what was the final cost of the doors? I have some pretty deep RR door dings I'd like to eliminate.
Doors were $250 each, complete with everything except inside card.
Very good condition, couple of light scratches that buffed out, although there's one a little deeper. Insurance covered the full cost, that would have included a repaint . Saved a lot doing it myself, and easy to remove, two bolts on hinge, two plugs to body. Less than an hour.