XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Downgrade from touchscreen to standard HVAC/radio setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Downgrade from touchscreen to standard HVAC/radio setup

Hi there.

I recently acquired a 2006 XJ Vanden Plas with the navigation/touchscreen head unit. It's really dated, and I would actually prefer to downgrade to the standard separate HVAC, then do something different for a head unit (and yes, I have heard of JagDroid).

What do I need to do for this? I'm prepared to gut the whole sound system and will likely do so anyway, but are there any other considerations I need to take before downgrading to the standard, non-touch HVAC system and then installing an aftermarket head unit?

Old 05-24-2021, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts

It's possible, in theory. You would have to get the base model climate control panel, and the corresponding HVAC controller. The nav systems are different, they use the CAN bus to communicate between the touch screen and HVAC controller. The base models have a direct connection between the panel and the controller. There have been threads on this in the past and I recall the two controllers are different (e.g. one controller does not have both connectors for base and nav system). You'd also have to deal with the CAN bus connections at the nav module if you're removing that.

I think the big challenge is going to be reconfiguring the car to use the base HVAC vs Nav system. I'm not sure the details on what needs to be reflashed or reconfigured, but you'll need SDD.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:34 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd love to do this too. Does the VDP have the 'auxiliary' A/C for the back seat?
If you have the lousy pop-open cup holders, instead of the nice armrest-slides-back console, you've got a secondary A/C and I'm not sure if it will work without the Nav head unit. Maybe it would still work independently with the physical control panel?

Old 05-24-2021, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by oilstain
I'd love to do this too. Does the VDP have the 'auxiliary' A/C for the back seat?
If you have the lousy pop-open cup holders, instead of the nice armrest-slides-back console, you've got a secondary A/C and I'm not sure if it will work without the Nav head unit. Maybe it would still work independently with the physical control panel?
I don't have the aux A/C. I suppose that was either an option on the Vanden Plas or limited to the Super V8 trim. I do have rear heated seats, and I have the dual-screen entertainment system with the controls in the center console. But I'm okay with that not working.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by mhamilton
It's possible, in theory. You would have to get the base model climate control panel, and the corresponding HVAC controller. The nav systems are different, they use the CAN bus to communicate between the touch screen and HVAC controller. The base models have a direct connection between the panel and the controller. There have been threads on this in the past and I recall the two controllers are different (e.g. one controller does not have both connectors for base and nav system). You'd also have to deal with the CAN bus connections at the nav module if you're removing that.

I think the big challenge is going to be reconfiguring the car to use the base HVAC vs Nav system. I'm not sure the details on what needs to be reflashed or reconfigured, but you'll need SDD.
Oy vey. That sounds like a big challenge. Why did Jaguar have to be so difficult? Meanwhile, my S.O.'s 2005 Town Car has a standard double DIN system, and we were able to just swap the factory nav for an aftermarket unit with no trouble. I understand the Jaguar was far more advanced for its day, but even similarly integrated systems, like the Lexus GX 470 we used to have in the family, were easy in terms of replacing the factory nav with an aftermarket solution and retaining climate controls.

Maybe I'll go with a JagDroid after all; it's just that I don't have the patience to do the electronics work, and I can't get the guys there to respond to an email or Facebook request.

Old 05-31-2021, 02:01 PM
Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Does something within your unit, not function? The sound system has enty of bass and is actually decent for a factory setup, once one figures out MODE = AUDIO....lol. Most manufacturers have made it increasingly complicated to do a weekend morning swap/upgrade. Technology, while simplifying life's functions, drastically complicates the process to get there. I prefer KISS. Get a fm modulator, 10 min and costs less than a dinner tip. JM2C