XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Drastic holes cause drastic measures.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 10:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Air Suspension. Drastic holes cause drastic measures.

So, this is one of those posts that everyone wants to find useful but is skeptical about. Heck I would be too. But please understand it was a last resort before dropping a bunch of cash on two new front air shocks and one was that bad, I really didn’t have anything to lose by trying it.

Long story short, over the last year our north Texas roads have got ridiculous in deterioration and there is a section of I75 in Texoma which is beyond description. Some of the pot holes that have turned up in 75MPH zones are at least 6 inches deep and a foot wide. There is a new one every other week and the on off ramps are as bad especially at the seams were ramp meets road.

I talked to a local that was here when the highway was built and it turns out the builder of the road didn’t do the ground work and didn’t build a good foundation, went bankrupt in millions of dollars of debt and fines and until the whole thing is dug up and started a fresh… it’s a crap shoot. It wont get better, and is always in movement.

Anywho… the connection? These new pot holes that turn up weekly (daily commute area that aren't there one day, are the next) have seriously done some damage to my XJ8 over the last months to tires and struts and I can probably pin point the two, date and time that did it finally was a breaking point. (see attached photos and anyone local that reads this who is part of TxDOT, take note. Off Ramp of I75 and Crawford North bound) they hit so hard within a 20 foot section it felt like id ran into a ditch and they loosened the beed on the drivers side rim that eventually went flat when I got home. After the tire was reset the left side drivers air strut was never the same again, was always soft, bottomed out, and you could hear hissing when parked. This hit was the pot hole (s) that broke the camel’s back!

Before I dropped money on two new struts and tires (which started to whelp up see photos) I decided to see if I could find the leak in the strut as it was bad enough you could hear it when parked. It was coming out of the bottom of the strut, so against my better judgment but with nothing to lose as the strut was shot, I tried tire sealant by Slime in the strut.

I removed the air hose from the strut, put it in the top of the strut and replaced the air hose and started the car. Nothing happened. She sat on the ground. So I jacked her up letting the strut and wheel drop and rise a few times and low and behold, there was a burst of air and she started to rise under her own steam. I left her running for a few minutes and took her on a slow run for 5 miles where the ride seemed much better. So…. I dropped her on the highway. She was smoother than ever and rode like the day I got her. Parked her up over night with zero leak. She did around 50 miles today and was fine and is sleeping while I write this.

I have zero doubt this is a temporary fix but I had to do something until the next payday and frankly had nothing to lose. If it only buys me a week I’ll be happy. Two struts and tires aren’t cheap. Nor is no way to get to work.

Just thought I’d share. I’m sure the comments will be plentiful. Just remember… The strut was already shot so I had nothing to lose by trying and will be getting the struts replaced in a week or so.

U.S. Highway 75 southbound in Denison buckles; TxDOT makes repair

Crawford Exit, Highway 75 in Texoma.

one of two potholes 20 feet apart.

my fingers on the edge of the second pot hole which shows 4" deep at the edge! it was around 6 to 8 inches deep in the middle.

Whelp on the Drivers side front.

Same tire.... a little further round.

Last edited by Christian Pugh; 06-04-2017 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Title Clarification
Old 06-04-2017, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Dang, your roads look worse than California's. Let us know how the goop holds up. (Cancel my trip to the Lonestar State!)

Old 06-04-2017, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rivguy
Dang, your roads look worse than California's. Let us know how the goop holds up. (Cancel my trip to the Lonestar State!)
lol Rivguy,

luckily its not ALL our roads just most of them lol. in the 20 mile surrounding area of north Texas where I am... they are getting worse daily.

Thanks for the reply and will do :0)

Old 06-04-2017, 10:20 PM
Received 335 Likes on 201 Posts

I hate potholes. Hope the fix holds up for you.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

No luck, I would be really pissed off. Any recourse against the local authorities?

Weren't the rims also bent?
They seem not to be flattened that much, what was the rim/tyre size?

Old 06-05-2017, 06:58 AM
Received 183 Likes on 103 Posts

Great idea!

As long as that goop doesn't migrate outside the shocks, a neat temp fix

You might want to do the tires first and see how long the shocks last

Check the inside barrel lip of your rims for damage. They can be straightened pretty easily if not cracked

Buy your new tires from a place that offers "Road Hazard" warranty (generally about $20 a tire)

I lived in Dallas years ago, and remember the road to Wichita Falls being pretty bad on tires

Let us know how long the shocks hold up

Old 06-05-2017, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

I've never seen anything that bad on our motorways, but there can be some nasty ones on local roads. Our motorways are maintained by Highways England, and they are quite good on maintenance.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by paydase
No luck, I would be really pissed off. Any recourse against the local authorities?

Weren't the rims also bent?
They seem not to be flattened that much, what was the rim/tyre size?
Hey Paydas,

Ive reported the damage to TxDOT but expect them to do nothing. I've also sent them a copy of this post. A lot of my friends have had the same issue and it will only take one person who isn't overly confident in their driving to hit one in a small car with small wheels and cause a pile up on the 75 MPH stretches with damage.

The rims are 19's wrapped in 255/40 ZR Pirelli. Seem (at the moment) straight and true and aren't vibrating believe it or not.

@ Hisport. Thanks for the comment. Yea it is a catch 22 with what gets replaced first, the tires do me no good if a day later the shock fails... We'll have to see.

@ Fraser Mitchell. I spent my first 32 years of life in the UK or Y'uk as I call it now lol I moved here in 2002 and the one thing I do recall that was ok, were the roads. They were pretty good and getting in the country lanes at the weekend was a driving pleasure so I'll give you that. Still.... I prefer Texas lol

Thanks for all the positive comments guys :0)

Old 06-05-2017, 11:51 AM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I got my cat from Texas, it lived in Houston with its previous owners. When I bought it one of the front tires had a bulge too, I used it to beat the dealer down as I had to drive it back to Ohio. The roads in Ohio are terrible too, it's a game of dodge the pot holes every time I go for a drive, I just did a tire rotation and noticed a slash across the tread of one of the tires.

My cat is with the wheel Dr having a bend repaired now.

Send the council the repair bill for the damage if you can!

Old 06-13-2017, 02:09 PM

Just a quick update; The tire slime actually held and to date the strut hasn't leaked and has done around 1000 miles. If the air wasn't coming from the bottom of the strut I wouldn't have tried it as I know how the slime is "supposed" to be applied through rotation.

As a temporary fix with these conditions. it worked. it wont work in all cases though.

I've also heard from TxDOT who claim they will repair the potholes immediately. We will see how that pans out...

Old 06-15-2017, 06:40 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by JagsteRJX
I got my cat from Texas, it lived in Houston with its previous owners. When I bought it one of the front tires had a bulge too, I used it to beat the dealer down as I had to drive it back to Ohio. The roads in Ohio are terrible too, it's a game of dodge the pot holes every time I go for a drive, I just did a tire rotation and noticed a slash across the tread of one of the tires.

My cat is with the wheel Dr having a bend repaired now.

Send the council the repair bill for the damage if you can!
Nowhere near as bad as Michigan roads 😅