XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Drips

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Drips

A month and 500 miles after valley hose the hose here developed a leak. Drips under pressure. Hose attaches from bottom, and does not appear to rotate. There is a key way facing driver side.
Pulled intake and pressure tested it it locate.
How do I remove hose to try and reseat it.

Old 07-08-2022, 06:16 PM
Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts

Hi Panelhead,
That is a 'push to click' fitting that is retained by the spring wire clip you can see on the left side. Push the tip of a screwdriver between the wire and the plastic and lever it to the left. It will slide out about half an inch and the plastic female fitting can then be disengaged from the metal male fitting. I think there may be a small O-ring inside the plastic female fitting. The metal clip should stay attached to the fitting. Don't lose it!
Clean both fittings and perhaps lubricate them with silicone grease, then push the metal clip back into position before pushing the fittings together. You should hear a definite 'click' as the wire snaps into the retention groove.
Hope that helps!
Pete M

Old 07-08-2022, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Default Thanks Pete

Originally Posted by Pete M
Hi Panelhead,
That is a 'push to click' fitting that is retained by the spring wire clip you can see on the left side. Push the tip of a screwdriver between the wire and the plastic and lever it to the left. It will slide out about half an inch and the plastic female fitting can then be disengaged from the metal male fitting. I think there may be a small O-ring inside the plastic female fitting. The metal clip should stay attached to the fitting. Don't lose it!
Clean both fittings and perhaps lubricate them with silicone grease, then push the metal clip back into position before pushing the fittings together. You should hear a definite 'click' as the wire snaps into the retention groove.
Hope that helps!
Pete M
will give it a go tomorrow. I would have seated the hose first, then clicked on the wire clip.
I was going after the clip after seeing it. Hope a cleaning and some lube takes care of the issue.

Old 07-09-2022, 10:13 AM
Received 184 Likes on 103 Posts

Panel,
Suggest you replace O Ring in female fitting. I've had luck doing this with generic o rings. Or, just replace the hose...

Old 07-09-2022, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I pulled hose. No o-ring. Cannot see a groove for o-ring. Greased up the plastic female collar and the metal beveled sealing surface on the male pipe.
Pressured up to 10 psi and waited 30 minutes. Bled back and pressured up to 15 pounds.no drips and pressure is holding. There is some air in the system from dropping hose, but good sign no external leakage so far.
Checked the pan and no o-ring came down with Coolant.
It appears there is a molded shoulder in plastic that may seat against the metal bevel washer. May be a generic brand hose.
This hose loops down around passenger side of engine. Looks like a heater hose. I have not started car to get up to try and trace it.
Also once the clip was disengaged the plastic connection came off real easy. Like every old hose I expected a battle. Even the intake put up a good fight.
Does this normally almost fall off without clip holding it?
If it holds an hour, going to reinstall intake to allow starting. Then watch it running.
Wanted to flush oil in supercharger next I pulled intake. But one butt kicking at a time. Flushed about 20,000 miles back.

Old 07-09-2022, 02:57 PM
Received 184 Likes on 103 Posts

Sounds like you got it...compliments.
(Many of the coolant quick disconnects have o rings in 'em. Some don't.
I did my valley hose, etc about 20K ago; sc oil then also. I think you're good for awhile...)

Old 07-09-2022, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 767 Likes on 641 Posts

The fitting are made by Norma and are available in Oz in packs of two:

https://www.norma.net.au/products/fu...tor-twin-packs

It's a very good idea to attach a wire to the spring clip before removing it

I had one connector leaking and found the 'o' ring flattened and hardened so replaced it

with generic 'o' ring + silicone grease

Last edited by meirion1; 07-09-2022 at 05:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Pete M (07-09-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Default So far so good.

Drove on several short trips. No drips. Maybe 25 miles total. Always looking under front for a drip after sitting.
It is 105F right now. Maybe 115 heat index in the shade. Car can wait.
Think the float in expansion tank is sticking. Getting low coolant warning and tank is full. Will drain and pull tank but not today.
Thanks to all for the good advice on fixing this hose leak. All the part Don recommended replacing us the nipple on air intake that the crankcase blow by hose attaches to.
AND, after spending hours looking at XJR coolant hoses, does anyone know the name of the one shown above? The nomenclature of hose naming is confusing.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 767 Likes on 641 Posts

No pic of hose posted
Methinks you can remove coolant level probe
without draining coolant if there is space underneath.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Default Original post, second picture.

Originally Posted by meirion1
No pic of hose posted
Methinks you can remove coolant level probe
without draining coolant if there is space underneath.

that is the end hose that has the click to lock connector. The hose is visible in picture crosses the front of engine. Have not gotten car on ramps to see where it goes. Might be auxiliary water pump.