XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Drive Cycle to Clear CC & EV Monitors "Not Ready"

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 06:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drive Cycle to Clear CC & EV Monitors "Not Ready"

My car is a 2004 XJ8 without the supercharger. It started with code P0193. I changed the fuel pressure sensor with the equivalent Ford part and it was OK for a few months then failed again. I replaced it with an OEM sensor and it has been OK ever since. The only problem is that no matter how much I drove the car I could not get the CC & EV monitors to go to the ready state. I only had a simple code reader so I was unable to troubleshoot very deep. I tried several drive cycles that I found in here to no avail. Eventually, I combined some steps from different drive cycles and was able to clear the codes. Here is what I came up with:

The engine needs to sit overnight and be completely cold. You need to have access to a stretch of road that will allow you to drive for 10 minutes at about 65 mph and a big enough shoulder to allow the car to coast to a stop.
  1. Start the engine and let it idle for 15 minutes. I did not have any accessories running during the 15 minutes.
  2. Set the parking brake
  3. Select each position on the shifter and leave it there for 10 seconds in each position.
  4. Begin driving to your test area.
  5. I shifted manually and allowed the engine to reach 3,500 ~ 4,000 RPM for a minimum of 5 seconds in 2nd and 3rd gear on my way to the stretch of road I was going to drive on.
  6. Once I got to the stretch of road I shifted manually again like before and then set the cruise to 65 MPH for 10 minutes.
  7. I cancelled the cruise control and allowed the car to slow down on its own. I eventually had to shift to Neutral to come to a stop with very gentle braking.
  8. Idle for 3 minutes.
  9. Shut engine off for 30 seconds.
  10. Start engine and shift manually to get over 3,500 RPM then set the cruise at 65 MPH again for 10 minutes.
  11. Coast to a stop like before.
  12. Idle for 3 minutes.
  13. Engine off for 30 seconds.
  14. Check the monitors. If they aren't off, do this again the next day. The engine has to be completely cold for some reason before you begin the drive cycle.
This worked the first time I tried it. It is no big deal if you have to do a little bit of driving in between steps. The important thing is that you begin with a cold engine. You also only have about an hour and 20 minutes to get every step completed (I read that in a Jaguar technical paper somewhere). Apparently after the time limit the system checks either aren't the same or not being performed. I wish I had some technical data to back all of this up but I don't. I do know that I wouldn't have figured it out if it hadn't been for this forum. I just kept experimenting until the monitors cleared. It is quite possible that all of the driving I did while trying to figure things out contributed to the monitors going "ready". Hopefully it was the drive cycle I described and not just the number of days and miles I drove before that. Hope this helps someone else in the same situation.

Bret

Old 11-19-2023, 03:01 AM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

I had to go through a similar process the last time i bought a new battery. This is a real nuisance ! Especially in warm weather, the car does not really cool off enough overnight. Probably better to get a battery tender to keep the computer alive when changing batteries.

Old 11-19-2023, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 673 Posts

The CC on my 04 just refuses to clear, but one not clear, will still pass emissons.

Old 11-22-2023, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,560 Likes on 3,965 Posts

This may apply

Attached Files