XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Drive shaft popped out if rear diff

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive shaft popped out if rear diff

Luckily I'm doing 20mph and pulled over immediately.

Just driving away with another12 months mot cert and I can hear a clunking under light acceleration. I thought it was the traction control coming on as it is very wet.

This turned noisy from the back of the car and I ca FEEL it! I pulled over straight away. Gearbox fault light is on. As soon as I mive the car into park it stopped

My mechanic drove over straight away and said the drive shaft had come out of the rear diff. He can only assume it was when the car was being jacked uo jt works loose somehow. He's comung back with a tool kit and a jack.

The car has always been silky smooth under acceleration until today.

A d to top it iff the EPB light is back on despite the new epb module.

At least I got the MOT.

UPDATE. AA are to recover vehicle to the mechanic as he could not fix it at the roadside. Luckily I'm near the mechanic and my Dad's house. Bloody nightmare but at least I'm on holiday and I have AA cover abd several other things that would have made this situation an utter calamity.

My poor savings are taking a hammer this month.

Last edited by Stcooperr; 08-14-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:38 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Was it your driveshaft carrier bearings?

Old 08-14-2017, 07:58 AM

Still waiting for AA recovery. In spite of being told of the problem and it needed a truck they still sent a van. So still waiting.

STILL WAITING!!! They now say 2:15pm. I could have bloody pushed it there by now.

Still unsure how an MOT pass can turn into this mess in less than 1 mile.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:05 AM

While now may not be the time for levity, maybe the guy that did your MOT insp. is the same guy handling your recovery request. Good luck. I hate being stranded. Especially when its on my dime.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:27 AM

I consider how much worse it could be...

...luckily I did a **** before I came out!

Recovery is going to be another 30 minutes away. Originally12:20. Sent a van in spite of being told send a loader. So another 2 hour wait.

This is BEFORE we find out how much this is costing me.

Crappy day or what.?

Old 08-14-2017, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stcooperr
This is BEFORE we find out how much this is costing me.

Crappy day or what.?
I don't know your relationship status, but if my wife was with me in a situation such as you have I would have to triple the monetary damage. Let us know what ends up needing repair.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:59 AM

My mechanic says it must be when he loosened the diff to access the park. He said if the propshaft is damaged he will replace.

STILL waiti
Ng for recovery by AA.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:24 AM

Still waiting for recovery....

Old 08-14-2017, 09:47 AM

Good lord .......

Attached Thumbnails Drive shaft popped out if rear diff-tenor.gif  
Old 08-14-2017, 09:58 AM

Still waiting. 5:15 mins in total.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:27 AM

Finally recovered. Off home. Will worry about it tomorrow. Nearly 6 hours from initial call to recovery.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:24 AM

He's Home!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Drive shaft popped out if rear diff-heishome.gif  
The following users liked this post:
Stcooperr (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 11:35 AM

Mechanic called me. A £28 part had snapped. Some rubber something. Will find out more tomorrow. He's replacing free of charge. I offerred to pay for part as he has been very helpful today... more than I can say for the AA.

I will be changing from them for sure.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rudedog
I don't know your relationship status, but if my wife was with me in a situation such as you have I would have to triple the monetary damage. Let us know what ends up needing repair.
Yes thank the Gods she was at work and we're not in Stratford or somewhete else she likes to shop.

On the upside I am now looking for a 2011 low mileage XJ rather earlier than expected.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rudedog
While now may not be the time for levity, maybe the guy that did your MOT insp. is the same guy handling your recovery request. Good luck. I hate being stranded. Especially when its on my dime.
Lol. No different people. All this because they were replacing the epb motor so I could get an mot. Ironically the epb light is back on after it passed the mot.

Just proves an mot cert is no proof of roadworthyness!

Old 08-14-2017, 11:49 AM

Good luck on your search for the 2011 low mileage XJ my friend!!

Old 08-14-2017, 08:05 PM

You won't believe this but I took off for a 70 mile drive to BWI airport to pick up my wife an hour after my last post in this thread.. When I pulled into the hourly parking spot I noticed I was losing coolant fast. I had to get out of the lot quickly because the ceilings are too low for a tow truck. This is going to be expensive.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:42 AM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

The AA can be pretty useless, I have been a member for a long time, Luckily only needed them a few times, but with mixed results.
1. gearbox on my 2.8 Granada blew, told the call centre, I was on the A9 at the junction with the B9163, on th eapproach to the Cromarty Bridge, about 15 miles north of Inverness, took them over 3 hours to get to me, and when the guy arrived, he said the call centre had sent him to Nairn, which is about 50 miles the other way and is on the A96......?.
2. Broke down at Junction 2A of the M73, near Glasgow, call centre couldn't find the M73, or indeed GLASGOW on their database......
3. Wife broke down at her work in Glasgow City Centre, they sent a patrol from Motherwell, 25 miles away., OK I hear you say, maybe they were busy, but the same thing happened to her the next day and the patrolman who attended lived less than a mile away and said he was at home but logged in the day before when she broke down, and didnt get any calls till the afternoon.
5. Same as OP, broke down, told them it was a rear wheel drive Auto with a gearbox fault, and they still sent a van with a tow pole.....

On the plus side, I twice broke down after a nightshift and settled down for a long wait, and on both occasions the patrol was there in under 15 mins.

I really only joined the AA for the wife, The first breakdown she had, she was on her own way up near Fort William, and the AA would not attend because the member (me) wasn't there, luckily, that time it was a bad starter, and a good samaritan gave her a bump start, and all was well till she got home and I changed it out.

I have since changed to a joint membership.

I also got a call one day from someone on the Indian subcontinent claiming to be from the AA and asking for my credit card details as my card was out of date and my membership was due for renewal, I told him where he could go and what he could do once he got there and decided to call the AA myself to tell them about this.......oh yes that was us.....your card is out of date, you should have given this random caller all your financial details on our behalf........ehhhhhhhh?, HELLO???? DATA PROTECTION???...............

All in all, Well worth the, roughly, £4000 I have spent on membership over the last 15 or so years. hmmmm.

Last edited by brian5; 08-16-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:24 AM

A summary of this calamity and its resolution is under a new thread called "Various Woes Now at an end..."