XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Driver-side window replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Driver-side window replacement

My side window had several cracks in it from a stone. I was quoted over $800 locally from Autoglass. I'm guessing the dealer was probably more! Got a secondhand piece, incl shipping, from California for $78.
I had heard the job was a real pain so delayed it for months. It really could not of been easier -- the whole thing took about 2 hours. First, position the window about 4 inches from the top. The Workshop manual shows you where the 3 screws are; and there is a Torx 20 (I think, or smaller) under a cover in the pull handle wheel. With these off the exterior card can be pulled off easily. Start at the lower left corner with a clean scraper. Once you have your fingers under: simply pull. The whole piece is peppered on the interior. Release the handle mech at the top once the card is clear. Next, to get the interior water guard of (which is a nice high quality plastic assembly), remove the 12 Torx 30 screws, and the electrical system plugs. note there are 3 plugs for the drivers door module. The wiring harness can be pushed through the water guard. Once this is removed you have access to the glass and retraction mechanism. My replacement glass was a slightly different design (no bonded aluminum pieces at the bottom, but the overall dimensions were the same). There's click in poppet for the rear part of the window and a clamp for the forward part. These were easily released, and the window maneuvered clear. Make sure when putting in your new piece it goes in the correct slot at the top (easy to get the multiple seals mixed up). It wasn't a big event getting the new one into the tracks and clicked into position. Careful with the front clamp on the glass -- don't over tighten! I used a couple of pieces of neoprene cut off a washing up glove, and some silicone seal from Lowes to form a pad. Check for correct operation before reassembly! You will have to plug everything back; do this with the card resting on the ground (some padding required).The whole thing goes back together in less than 20mins. I added some sound deadening on the door interior whilst I was there. Snagless really, if only they were all like that!

Attached Thumbnails Driver-side window replacement-img_1698.jpg   Driver-side window replacement-img_1703.jpg   Driver-side window replacement-img_1702.jpg   Driver-side window replacement-img_1704.jpg   Driver-side window replacement-img_1705.jpg  

Driver-side window replacement-img_1707.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by brakeboost:
Rufus T. Firefly (05-11-2014), SaturnV (05-11-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Very well done !! Replacing things like this is rather uncommon, so glad you managed it as a DIY job. One of my pet hates is fiddling around inside a door, because the car builder seems to deliberately put loads of sharp edges and self-tapper screw points in places that just seem there to catch your poor old hands and arms !!

Old 05-11-2014, 01:05 AM
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Thank you brakeboost, this is good to know. Our port side rear window has a deep scratch that I've wanted to replace since we got it. Found the glass on ebay for something like $30....imagine the dealer price. Now you have given me the go ahead, because I was putting it off myself!

Jaguars have soft glass? lol