XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

driving by dealer and spotted a 08 xj, wife MADE me buy it but it has one small issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 09:03 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default driving by dealer and spotted a 08 xj, wife MADE me buy it but it has one small issue

So i was driving by the dealer and out of the corner of my i spot an XJ with the side vent . pull a u-turn and go back.

for some time i have described to my wife wanting a 2008 XJ vanden plas silver or gray with black interior and a wood grain interior. nothing more nothing less.

as i walk up from behind its liquid silver and i notice the vanden plas and the black interior with wood steering wheel. The wife says you have to buy it and so i did.

Car seems perfect EXCEPT the air ride. for 3 days i have been monitoring the height at all 4 wheels every 6 hours. at hour 24 i start the car and let the suspension settle out

the shocks seem to hold air, I have recorder a 1/8 drop but attribute that to measuring error.

The problem is the driver side sits low by about 3/4 to 7/8 of an inch. doesnt seem like much but it is clearly visible when viewing the car .

In my searches i have found the air ride system needs to be calibrated ocasionally, does this seem like something that would fix. Is it only the jag dealer that can perform a calibration and what is the ball park cost.

Any info on the calibration process or to my driver side sag would be appreciated

Old 10-25-2015, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

It's a bit puzzling, because the front wheels are controlled together by a single height detector, so your attention needs to go to the spring unit that is low. Rear wheels are controlled individually, so each one has a height detector.

I would suggest an inspection is done of your front suspension to determine why the difference. Is the low side always low, or only after the car has been standing a while ?

Old 10-25-2015, 07:50 PM

went for a drive to stretch the suspensions legs , once in the garage and turned off the car gave a big exhaust ( released pressure ) and lowered. did all the measurements again and it basically was sitting right about where it always does. I went through all the pages of measurements and the one thing is it is very consistent.

driver front is always just under a half inch lower than passenger front

and driver rear is always about a half inch lower than passenger rear.

I am happy the shocks hold air, but it is my intent to keep this airide system 100% operational regardless of cost or effort.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Might be worth having the suspension heights re-calibrated. Your problem may lie in the rear, as if one side is different to the other, this can be adjusted, and will probably affect the front on that side too.

The "whoosh" of air when you shut the car down is perfectly normal. It is the air system blowing out the water from the water trap.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:12 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

The Jag dealership should be able to calibrate the air system for you for the grand sum of $100+.
While you are at it, get then to print off a full Diagnostic report as it has to run this before carrying out the calibration of any system, This will give you a heads up on any hidden issues and any likely future ones.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 09:37 AM

Dealer in allentoen qouted $125 to calibrate. Good info on asking for the diagnostic report

The $125 is money well spent to get a baseline for it all

Thanks

Old 10-27-2015, 09:38 AM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

I love your wife. ;-)

Old 10-27-2015, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by anindyam
I love your wife. ;-)

yep,shes a keeper. I think she was just moving in on my vette though!!

appointment made , ill post the dealer answer on nov 14th

Old 10-27-2015, 10:26 PM
Received 13,033 Likes on 6,508 Posts

slownlo,

Please keep us informed.

Just FYI, even though your car has only one front height sensor and both front corners are normally controlled together by the Air Suspension Control Module (ASM), they can be adjusted separately by the dealer-level Symptom Driven Diagnostics (SDD) system during the ride height calibration process.

The one thing I learned when calibrating our car was that in order to get our front right corner at the correct height I had to "lie" to SDD by telling it the corner was about 1/2 inch lower than it really was so it would finally raise up to the correct height.

There's some great info in Cambo's thread that will help you understand how the process works. His thread is about lowering the ride height, but the same process applies to setting the factory ride height, and it was Cambo's post that gave me the idea of lying to SDD to persuade it to raise the right corner a little more than it thought it needed to:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ur-x350-75369/

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
hafren (11-03-2015)