XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

DSC not available

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default DSC not available

The car is an 04 XJ8 with 44K miles. We had the first heavy rain in 6 months here in central TX and I had a 30 minutes drive to the airport in that heavy rain. About 20 minutes into the drive (mostly at 80 MPH highway speeds) the "DSC not available" orange light came on. I stopped and re-started but the light is still there. The car will now sit for 4 days in covered parking.
Any ideas what the issue is, and whether it will likely go away or what to look at? I recall that my older X-type also used to show the DSC fault from time to time and the dealer could never determine what the issue was.

Thanks

- Tim

Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Happened to me once driving to NYC from Boston. I pulled over, shut car off and restarted- message was gone. From what I gather, a sensor connection may be finicky and may've tripped the DSC.

You mentioned driving in heavy rain... Let's hope the light is gone upon your return.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad to see I wasent the only one having this problem.My Jag is still under warrenty so I took it to the Dealer, and told them about my problem.They wouldent let me leave the lot.Looking at his face when I told him what happened sounds alote more serious than I thought.They gave me a rental and I guess I will see what happens.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:28 PM

The Dealer just called and informed me that the problem was a short in the Thottle body and it was repaired.Pick it up in the morning - codes picked it up

Old 02-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Default Thottle body

Well I picked up my car this morning,they replaced the whole thottle body because of a short.So I turned in my rental car and went back to work,two hours later my low engine coolent light came on"CRAP".I checked out my over flow cantainer and it was full,so it turned out to be a stuck thermostat - made it back to the dealership and driving some kind Dodge "Crap"
Good thing is I pick my ride up in the morning.Thank God

Old 02-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Jag
Two hours later my low engine coolent light came on"CRAP".I checked out my over flow cantainer and it was full,so it turned out to be a stuck thermostat.
That light has come on a couple of times for me when it's really cold out on first start. I did not think much of it as it disappeared once the car was running for a couple of minutes.

Is this something I should be concerned with?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts
Default same here

I also got the coolant too low once it was very cold. I checked and indeed it was kind of low. I topped it off, but the engine was still hot.

The next morning I checked the level with the car cold and had to add some more. I think the coolant really shrinks in cold weather.

On the DSC not available issue - I had it from time to time. For me the rule is very bizare - if I drive my car a lot during the weekend, the message will apear sometimes next tuesday or wednesday. If I let it rest for the weekend, not DSC message. At first I also thought it was the rain, but now I'm convinced my car does not want to work on weekends - could just be some UK union thing.

I've been DSC error free for about 3 months now.

My concern is that such intermitent problem is really hard to diagnose and if I go to the dealer, I'll be replacing half the car before they find what is really at fault.

Last edited by veffremov; 02-12-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Jag
Well I picked up my car this morning,they replaced the whole thottle body because of a short.So I turned in my rental car and went back to work,two hours later my low engine coolent light came on"CRAP".I checked out my over flow cantainer and it was full,so it turned out to be a stuck thermostat - made it back to the dealership and driving some kind Dodge "Crap"
Good thing is I pick my ride up in the morning.Thank God

damn, i would have told them I wanted another jaguar or at least a cadillac or something nice...especially after you had just been there!

hopefully this time it works for you!

Old 02-12-2009, 05:32 PM

That's the price we pay when the have Enterprise Rentals on the dealers property,I picked her up this morning all is better her now.