XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

DSC not available, etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default DSC not available, etc

Hello again, I had (what the Land Rover guys would call) the Three Amigo error messages: DSC not available, Parking brake fault, and Engine System Fault. So I did tons of searching. A quick summary:

2005 VDP, 83k miles. This happened last year & went into Limp Home mode. Several restarts, got it home & cleaned the sensor in the air intake tube (MAF?) with contact cleaner. Also Cleaned the throttle plate the TB cleaner; unhooked battery, etc & ran fine for probably 10-15k miles.

It happened again this weekend; however, this time, the yellow engine light came on. The whole works: limp home, rough idling, etc. Finally got it home. unhooked & cleaned all the electrical connectors, throttle plate, unhooked battery, etc. I started it up & put about 5 miles on it. Several restarts & it's running fine BUT the yellow engine light is still on. If I remember OBDII, after some time, the light will go out.

My questions: the yellow engine light is probably readable by Autozone's readers, correct?

I CANNOT remember where the OBDII port is - do I drop the felt-covered panel under the steering wheel? Where EXACTLY is the OBDII port? (apologies for the rookie questions, but couldn't get into it tonight.)

Lastly: I imagine at this stage & mileage, I should consider replacing the throttle body anyway. In reading lots of posts, it's probably a reasonable precautionary measure. I also know the MAKE SURE that all the electrical connectors are good, but one of the posters said (and I believe it) EVERYONE who has this 4.2L engine WILL have to replace the throttle body. SO: I'm a just-ok mechanic, but it looks like the throttle body is literally held on with 4 bolts (and various electrical connectors). Is this a super-easy job? I hate chucking out $300 i I can most likely do it myself. Shouldn't I also replace the MAF sensor & any other associated sensors?

Please, give me your input. Many thanks.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

The OBD socket will be on the right hand side in your car, next to the centre

console. There will be a cut out in one corner of that felt covered panel under

the steering wheel. Not easy to see it if sitting in driving seat-just feel for it.

To connect push plug vertically up.

When you have read the codes then you will have a better idea of the cause of the yellow light.

It could be the TB or more likely the TPS (which is not available separately).

I have never done it but the TB looks straightforward to remove but I don't know what the access is like on a 4.2 engine.

It might be worth removing the TB to clean the engine side of the butterfly to see if that solves the problem since that side will get most of the dirt from the crankcase ventilation.

Cleaning the MAF again will not do any harm but you should not have to do it regularly IMO.

The other possibility is a bad earth depending on which error code(s) you get

Last edited by meirion1; 07-24-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

This failure is the throttle body. The dual pot TPS is failing its check. This part is not available separately, you will need a new one or a rebuild.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I got a brand new throttle body from this place in the UK:
Jaguar S-Type, X350 Throttle Body - V8 (C2C20540) - JustJagsUK.com

I arrived in about 10 days, total was about $210 US, you will also need a new gasket. It's not too hard to replace.