XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Ecm programming

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 04:59 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Ecm programming

Good Morning,

I'm hoping that fellow members can enlighten me with regards programming a replacement used ECM (Engine ECU) in my 2003 XJ6 3.0. I have been having problems with the Adaptive Cruise Control, which was fitted to the car when new. Secondhand ACC units (located behind the front bumper cover) are peculiar to the 2003-2004 models and, therefore, are like hens teeth. Its now got to the point where I am considering replacing the ECM with a used unit from a non-ACC equipped car. The big problem is that when the ACC goes haywire the whole Cruise Control becomes inoperative and you have the 'Cruise Not Available' message permanently displayed on the dash.
Having searched through various forums I came across one post from a mechanic who stated that he had simply replaced the ECM to dispense with the ACC completely (obviously from a non-ACC equipped car).
I have the IDS/SDD mongoose cable/programme so am able to programme
modules but I would like to know if any other members have done this and, if so, what problems did they encounter (I presume the key transponders would also need to be re-programmed ?)

Thanks everyone - I'd be grateful for any input. Regards - Keith

Old 04-07-2017, 06:27 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainQ
Good Morning,

I'm hoping that fellow members can enlighten me with regards programming a replacement used ECM (Engine ECU) in my 2003 XJ6 3.0. I have been having problems with the Adaptive Cruise Control, which was fitted to the car when new. Secondhand ACC units (located behind the front bumper cover) are peculiar to the 2003-2004 models and, therefore, are like hens teeth. Its now got to the point where I am considering replacing the ECM with a used unit from a non-ACC equipped car. The big problem is that when the ACC goes haywire the whole Cruise Control becomes inoperative and you have the 'Cruise Not Available' message permanently displayed on the dash.
Having searched through various forums I came across one post from a mechanic who stated that he had simply replaced the ECM to dispense with the ACC completely (obviously from a non-ACC equipped car).
I have the IDS/SDD mongoose cable/programme so am able to programme
modules but I would like to know if any other members have done this and, if so, what problems did they encounter (I presume the key transponders would also need to be re-programmed ?)

Thanks everyone - I'd be grateful for any input. Regards - Keith
It would be my advice to get the front radar unit examined closely as they are prone to water intrusion into the connector and corroding the pins from the connector to the board, rather than the approach you are seeking.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:52 AM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks Box. I understand what you're saying - it makes sense. I've had my unit rebuilt professionally but it packed up again soon afterwards. I'm reluctant to spend more money on a piece of kit which, to be honest, I rarely use, hence my considering dispensing with it. Thank you for your kind input.