XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

EGR Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 12:10 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts
Default EGR Pipe

I'm in the process of replacing the coolant hose under the supercharger. During reassembly I noticed that the EGR pipe is broken at the throttle body flange. I ordered another one from Gaudin and they sent me part AJ87734, which the catalog lists as the EGR pipe for the 2004 XJR 4.2 supercharged engine. It is completely different from what's on the car and will not fit. Gaudin tells me they have no idea why mine is different, that they only list the one part, that the part is correct, and has not superseded any older parts. Anyone run across this before? Gaudin says they sent my pictures to Jaguar, but I haven't heard anything back from them yet.

The old one is on top.

After I took this picture I realized that although the top flange is welded, the lower flange can rotate on the pipe, so they aren't really misaligned as it appears here.

The old one (right) has a smaller OD, but a bigger ID, and the new one appears to narrow even further.

Last edited by gmcgann; 01-04-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:30 PM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

I took the parts to my local jaguar dealer and talked to the mechanic. He said the new part superseded the old one, and it will work if you lean on it a bit. It IS flexible, but much less so that the old one.

I managed to get it installed and it was a real pain. The pipe doesn't curve away from the flange, so it's hard to get to the bolt and a box-end wrench won't work. The pipe is bigger, so you can't get your hand around it. The way to install it is to put the pipe over the manifold studs but don't tighten the nuts - just put them on a few turns so the pipe doesn't slip off. You can then lift the EGR valve away from the throttle body enough to get a small ratchet and 10mm socket up from below. It's not easy, but it can be done. Then you can put the bolts in to attach the EGR to the throttle body. Don;t forget to then tighten the nuts on the manifold.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (06-22-2017)