XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Electric park brake recalibration issue 2006 XJL 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 10:21 AM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Electric park brake recalibration issue 2006 XJL 4.2

Has anyone experienced difficulty in recalibration of the EPB following replacement of the ATE rear brake calipers? I used the recalibration procedure below after doing the job and although it took a few goes it eventually worked. However a few weeks later after letting my battery go flat, calibration was lost again and this time I just can't get the EPB to recalibrate. I hear the park brake motor engaging then disengaging when going through the process but every time the message ends up that it has failed to calibrate and park brake fault. I can't believe that there is anything particularly at fault with the motor or the brake system given it was fine before the battery went flat and there is now a brand new battery in the car with a good 13.4 volts present. Could it possibly be that if some air was still present in the new rear calipers , that this could prevent the recalibration process completing properly? Grateful for any ideas..
a. Switch off the ignition.
b. Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds.
c. Reconnect the battery.
2. Start the engine.
3. Firmly apply and release the footbrake five times.
4. Confirm that the message ‘NOT CALIBRATED’ or ‘APPLY FOOT AND PARK
BRAKE’ is displayed on the instrument cluster message center. This indicates that
the parking brake is in calibration mode.
5. Lightly press the footbrake pedal.
6. Apply the parking brake by using the EPB switch.
7. Release the parking brake.
8. Release the footbrake.
9. Confirm that the brake warning lamp is no longer illuminated on the instrument
pack and that the ‘NOT CALIBRATED’ message is no longer displayed in the
message center.
10. Apply and release the EPB five times to ensure no error is present.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

I can't help much but :

Does the park brake work ie does it hold the car?

Old 10-11-2020, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 344 Likes on 261 Posts

I did an EPB calibration a few days ago on my 2006 Portfolio Super V8 after the battery was out (down to 8 volts).
The EPB looked to be functional immediately after the new battery was connected (no messages to recalibrate on the dashboard, although the 12V power was cut during 30 mn) and did not need to be calibrated five times (that I did however, to avoid any issue).

My car is a X356 model with upgrades in electric systems as I have understood it. Also it might have had a number of specific programmings or reprogrammings,
I don't know, because a number of other functions also look straightforward (e.g. suspensions compressor kicking at idle/rest when suspensions are too low, without the need to drive the car)...

In your case, maybe a reset of the system by connecting the + and - leads of the car to annihilate parasitic static charges before connecting the battery may help.
Also there may be an issue with the sensor of the brake pedal that would prohibit the calibration procedure to complete its course

Old 10-11-2020, 05:45 AM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for replies. Yeah, this is a 2006 Daimler super eight lwb. I had no problems with the EPB until I changed over the rear calipers for new ones. As I said, following that work, the EPB did recalibrate but took a few attempts. now, after the flat battery, it won't. Ran a diagnostic using SDD and it flags up a dtc c1802 which is motor at end of travel limit. Every time I try the recalibration process you can hear the park brake motor winding on and off. I'm going to try rebleeding the rear calipers again to try and make sure there is no air left on the cylinders which may be allowing compression and the excess travel.