XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Electronic brake - jammer, malfunctioned? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Electronic brake - jammer, malfunctioned? Help!

Hi all, I just picked up an xj8 from the States and brought her home to Toronto. Here is my story and what I need help figuring out.

I bought a 2008 Jaguar xj8 at on online auction. The vehicle was located in illinois and I was in Toronto. It was sold as a running vehicle with keys although it was in an accident the damage was less than serious.

After I won the bid I arranged for a company to pick up the car in illinois at the lot and drop it off in detroit, Michigan where i could meet them and move it to my rented uhaul trailer and then proceed to cross the boarder to Canada. (I did this because I didnt want to drive all the way to IL and I got a good deal to transport it to MI from IL only paid 200, I figured I would spend more in gas if I did that)

When the vehicle was picked up the transport driver notified me that the car is a none runner(although they mentioned it was a running vehicle when sold). So at the yard they threw her on the transport trailer with a fork loader.

Then I met the transport trailer guy in Detroit MI to through the car on my
rented uhaul we discovered that the rear brakes were jammed and so we spent 5 hours trying to figure out how to move the car from his transport trailer to my uhaul trailer. (they didnt have this issue and I didnt know the brake were jammed at the yard beacuse they simple said it was a none runner and they'll load it with the fork lift.)

So we called a local scrap yard in Mi, detroit and they had a huge fork lift and offerd to move it from his transport trailer to my uhaul so I could finally be on my way to Canada.

So at last I made it home with zero issues on the way back. I got the car back on monday and since then have been trying to figure out how to get the car off of the uhaul trailer onto my drive way as uhaul is charging me 20 dollars a day and I can't afford that as I spent my last penny on this jag(not the smartest move in retrospect)

The vehicle goes into neutral and unfrotunately only the front wheels move. The rears are jammed, I believe that the ebrake is turned on as that is the only logical explination but it will not disingage...

what the hell do i do? i needed this thing off the trailer on tuesday!

Does the electronic brake only engage disengage when the car is on?
If so i guess the first option would be to get the engine to run then use the regular protocal and press the ebrake button to disengage.

Also, is it possible to pull out the fuses that are responsible for the ebrake to disengage it?

I'm at a lose as to what to do. help help help!!!

Old 01-19-2013, 12:12 PM

Also, is it possible that it's a security feature that locks up the rear wheels? I'm assuming that the battery died at the yard as it waited a month before going to auction. maybe the car doesnt recognize the key and so doesnt want to disengage? but then again that car cranks...

Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

If the system is similar to an S-type, the foot brake needs to be depressed at the same time as the park brake button is pushed in order to release it. The engine does not need to be running but the ignition needs to be on.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:05 PM

thanks for the info Mikey

No, still doesn't want to budge. Even with the key in position II while pressing the brake i can't get the ebrake to let go of the rear wheels.

I'm going to double check the fuses tomorrow when it's light out. Im praying I just missed a burned one as this is getting more and more complicated.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:52 PM

I put the rear wheels on a skate board and finally got it off the trailer. Only option i had.

Also figured out it was the epb module. I unplugged it and plugger it back in and it unlocked.

One problem solved.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Hope you don't have any more pesky problems like that !! Accident damage repair with this car and its aluminium shell needs special techniques, BTW.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Hope you don't have any more pesky problems like that !! Accident damage repair with this car and its aluminium shell needs special techniques, BTW.
Mr. Fraser, thanks for the wishes. Also, I have one question in regards to taking it to the proper shop. You mentioned the special technique, is there something i should ask these shops to make sure they know how to do it properly? How does working with aluminum differ from steel?

Thanks,
Val

Old 01-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

How does working with aluminum differ from steel?
Painting is different at primer stage, and carborundum paper should not be used. The original body is riveted and glued together with no spot welds.

A lot depends on the extent of the damage. You would have to speak to a shop that has experience of working with aluminium panels. I expect like all aluminium panelwork, use of a TIG welder is possible, but you'd need to have this confirmed. Clearly a production body shell cannot have a lot of TIG welding in it as it's too expensive and slow for a production line. The X350 does have 4 TIG welds, one each on the D post about 1/3 way down from the roof, and also on the A posts. They are linished off so you don't see them !!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

One thing to look at is the park brake cables to the rear. If the car was lifted on a fork lift, the lift forks could have damaged the cable.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:01 PM

Hey Fraser,

Thanks for the info, I've called a lot of shop and am now trying to narrow down which one I will decide to go with. After I figure out why it is not starting and I can drive it...

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Painting is different at primer stage, and carborundum paper should not be used. The original body is riveted and glued together with no spot welds.

A lot depends on the extent of the damage. You would have to speak to a shop that has experience of working with aluminium panels. I expect like all aluminium panelwork, use of a TIG welder is possible, but you'd need to have this confirmed. Clearly a production body shell cannot have a lot of TIG welding in it as it's too expensive and slow for a production line. The X350 does have 4 TIG welds, one each on the D post about 1/3 way down from the roof, and also on the A posts. They are linished off so you don't see them !!

Old 02-15-2013, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by oldmots
One thing to look at is the park brake cables to the rear. If the car was lifted on a fork lift, the lift forks could have damaged the cable.
I hear the module working now. Which is great news, however it is still not unjammed I'm sure that it's just been in the possition for awhile and so it being stubbourn.

I'm going to check the lines as soon as we have a normal day out. For two weeks it's been snowing, raining or freezing! I wish my car was in my garage so I'd be able to work around those elements...!

Thanks for the heads up, im going to get under it asap.