XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

emergency EBP release RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Default emergency EBP release RESOLVED

I made a dumb move and left my lights on over night in the garage and guess what, yep the battery was dead the next morning. I gave the battery a good 8 hour charge. The car started great but now I have a parking brake failure and the parking brakes are locked on. I read Quikcats great thread but my XJ8 is a 07 the EBP module is not where it is on Quikcats 04 and I can't find it. I can sum this up in one word,.........HELP!

Old 03-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Open the boot (use the key if you dont have power)
Remove the right side trim
The handle is behind the trim

The owner manual has a pic as well

Cheers
34by151

The following users liked this post:
Clamdigger (03-22-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Received 254 Likes on 83 Posts

Here is what the owners manual handbook says:

The EPB is automatically applied when the key is removed from the ignition switch. If you wish to keep the EPB off, press and hold the EPB switch down and, at the same time, remove the key. Caution: Take care that the vehicle is safely parked to prevent it from rolling if you wish to leave the EPB off. The warning indicator in the instrument panel will remain on for a short time if the EPB is applied when the key is turned to position 0 or if the key is removed. If the battery has been discharged or disconnected the message APPLY PARKBRAKE will be displayed when the ignition is next switched on. Depress the footbrake and pull the EPB switch up to apply the EPB. This is required to reset the EPB system which will now function correctly.

Cabin fuse box Fuse No. Rating (amps) Circuit
F3 5A Rear outer seat, electrochromic mirror, driver seat heater, electric parkbrake, left-hand and right-hand HID lamps levelling, left-hand and right-hand seat belt switches, passenger seat heater switch, rear seat heater switchpack.

Luggage compartment fuse box
F32 30A Electric parkbrake actuator

I once found this on a forum but don't recall who posted it:
Repair man left the engine running and then disconnected the Parkbrake ECU, left it disconnected for 5 minutes, connected it back up and viola, the car goes through the Parkbrake syncronisation - "Press footbrake and apply parkbrake". Now it's all fixed!

The Parkbrake ECU is behind the right had trim (as you look at it) in the boot and is bolted to the body with two 10mm bolts, just leave the engine running and pull out the harness, leave it for 5 mins with the engine running and then plug it back in and you should get the synronisation message on the dash.

The parkingbrake ECU module looks like this:

Attached Thumbnails emergency EBP release RESOLVED-parkingbrake-module.jpg  
Clamdigger (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

34by151, after removing the right side boot liner all I found was the rear ECM which is a silver alum box with many wires and connections and a white handle for emergency fuel door release and no smaller black plastic EPB ECM.

I decided to start from step one, disconnect and load test the battery which tested fine. Before reconnecting the battery leads I touched them together figuring I'd reboot the whole car. Put the key in and the car started right up and now I had the "press foot brake and apply hand brake" message, no more "parking brake failure" message. I pressed foot brake and applied the hand brake and all is well.

The engine did idle bad for a few minutes, it hunted between 8 and 1200 rpms but I expected that while the car relearns all settings. Funny thing the small vibration I had complained about here when it down shifted between 2nd to 1st seems to be gone now.

I would still like to know where the EPB ECM is located on my car, it is not where the earlier X350's have it located.

JimC64 (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 08:16 AM
Received 254 Likes on 83 Posts

Nice to hear about the extra benefit you got doing that approach which some people do if they don't mind loosing settings. One person on a forum said the parking brake module is low and behind the ECU module you found stating that one can not see the parking brake module unless the ECU is removed. But I personally don't know.

Clamdigger (03-23-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

[QUOTE=Clamdigger;937370]34by151, after removing the right side boot liner all I found was the rear ECM which is a silver alum box with many wires and connections and a white handle for emergency fuel door release and no smaller black plastic EPB ECM.

Glad to hear you sorted it out
What you have done by a battery disconnect is forced it to go through the training procedure

THE EPB is the small of the two boxes the right side under the trim. The Large one is the REM. There is a tool to plug in to the small plug but all this does id supply power to the motor.

Also sorry the instructions I gave you were for the manual flap release handle

Cheers
34by151

Clamdigger (03-23-2014)