XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Emissions test

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:59 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Emissions test

Hi all, had my 2007 xj8 emission tested yesterday and it passed but noticed on the report sheet that it showed the Oxygen sensor was shown as ''Not ready'' had a look at the last test report from two years ago and it showed as ''ready'' car runs good, am getting good gas mileage , averaging 34 mpg on HI way, have 70,000 miles on it, just wondering if there is any cause for concern long term or if this is normal,,, oh I do have one more problem with car, been getting '' Tire pressure sensor fault '' for the last few weeks, will know better if its the wheel sensor or module at fault when I put summer tires on, which isn't going to be for a while as its just started snowing here ,,,,again, had some nice weather a few weeks ago and I was ready to flip tires then but daughter in law warned me not to tempt fate,, unfortunately ,she was right, regards to all,
Dave,

Old 04-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Interesting that they gave you a pass on the e-test with a monitor showing 'not ready'. Up to this point in time, that would have been a fail in Ontario.

Keep driving the car and have a look again in a few hundred km's. Should be good by then.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by dvjag
Hi all, had my 2007 xj8 emission tested yesterday and it passed but noticed on the report sheet that it showed the Oxygen sensor was shown as ''Not ready'' had a look at the last test report from two years ago and it showed as ''ready'' car runs good, am getting good gas mileage , averaging 34 mpg on HI way, have 70,000 miles on it, just wondering if there is any cause for concern long term or if this is normal,,, oh I do have one more problem with car, been getting '' Tire pressure sensor fault '' for the last few weeks, will know better if its the wheel sensor or module at fault when I put summer tires on, which isn't going to be for a while as its just started snowing here ,,,,again, had some nice weather a few weeks ago and I was ready to flip tires then but daughter in law warned me not to tempt fate,, unfortunately ,she was right, regards to all,
Dave,

If the car was not fully warmed, you could have still been in open loop.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:40 AM

Hi, after taking grandkids to school took it straight in after driving about 20 miles so it was well warmed up,, Micky I am just down the road from you in Mississauga, just asked my nephew what he thought, he works as tech for Jaguar dealership,,,

Old 04-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Received 215 Likes on 149 Posts

He's right, still in open loop. Not a fault of the car.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:02 AM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

I would check the coolant temp with an infrared thermometer. I've seen this if the thermostat opens too early causing the engine to run too long in open loop. Should be close or slightly above 200 degrees F. once up to temp.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Or get an OBD tool with live data and watch what's happening. Be sure to check fuel trims as they often provide warnings before codes.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:13 AM
Received 264 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Interesting that they gave you a pass on the e-test with a monitor showing 'not ready'. Up to this point in time, that would have been a fail in Ontario.

Keep driving the car and have a look again in a few hundred km's. Should be good by then.
This is not the case in Ontario---provided there is no engine light showing your car will pass the emission test with ONE monitor NOT SET.

It has been this way since the testing protocol was changed a couple of years ago.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Six Rotors
This is not the case in Ontario---provided there is no engine light showing your car will pass the emission test with ONE monitor NOT SET.

It has been this way since the testing protocol was changed a couple of years ago.
I have personal experience that contradicts that. My S-type had the evap monitor not set, and got a 'fail'.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the food for thought guys, I changed the thermostat and housing and new temp sensor four months ago, the dash temp gauge reads normal after driving ten minutes or so and that is in the sub zero weather we are having in the mornings here, checked the temp with infrared thermometer and it reads around 190f 195f ,,,was going to change the upstream o2 sensors but bear In mind I can get 34 mgp on the hiway, just wondering if one or both are dicky,, don't know if it is relevant but even when warmed up there is a fair bit of white smoke which I think is condensation out of the tail pipes, no smell,,, I am not losing coolant,, or brake fluid,,, or burning oil, seems a lot more than other cars around,,, spoke to my nephew the jag tech and his advice is,,,, if its running leave it alone,,, and if it aint broke don't fix it,,,,, appreciate you help and advice,
Dave
current, 2007 xj8
past 1995 xj6
1996 xjs conv
1998 vdp

Old 04-07-2016, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by dvjag
, spoke to my nephew the jag tech and his advice is,,,, if its running leave it alone,,, and if it aint broke don't fix it,,,,,
I'd listen to your nephew.

The following users liked this post:
dvjag (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 751 Likes on 631 Posts

You could try this:

Drive your Jag to a straight section of road with little traffic and slow right down

then kick it down hard a couple of times. Check the rear mirror for white smoke

during this procedure.

This may reduce the smoke when you drive normally.

Take care!