XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Engine Differences between X350 and X356

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 06:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Differences between X350 and X355

After much deliberation I have decided to swap the engine on my XJ8L that has the blown spark plug in cylinder 7.
My car being an 06, is considered an x356. I also was able to confirm it comparing my vin with the ranges found on google.

I wanted to know if there is a difference the engines from an older x350 versus an x358?
If there isn't would the engines from an 05 or 07, fit right in?
If there is, would I need to swap any accessories from the old engine?

Old 02-23-2022, 06:41 PM
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

As far as I know the 4.2 was the same all along this generation, don't know about the electronics though. There are plenty of used engines all around, these cars are declared totalled as easily as a bug splash on your windshield.

Old 02-24-2022, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by MBJAG
As far as I know the 4.2 was the same all along this generation, don't know about the electronics though. There are plenty of used engines all around, these cars are declared totalled as easily as a bug splash on your windshield.
The electronics and (possible) emissions is what seems to be puzzling me to jump on an engine from an 05.
At the same time, further reading shows that the X356 is an from 2006 and 2007. So part of me wants to narrow down my search to those two years.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:42 PM
Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts

Hi
This book might be useful. It's the 2006 Technical guide and covers differences. Lots of good info on this site.
http://jagrepair.com/images/Electric...al%20Guide.pdf

Best wishes for your engine change.
Pete M

Old 02-25-2022, 02:33 PM
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Hi, it is to be expected that the later 4.2 V8s will have slightly modified electronic peripherals, but mechanically they are largely itentical.

The question of the modified electronics seems not to be important to me because all the control units remain in the car anyway and all the peripherals (sensors, actuators, valves, thermostats, etc.) could be taken over from the defective engine.
I would therefore not expect any problems that cannot be solved.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:42 PM
Received 269 Likes on 202 Posts

I would say a difference which may be tricky to deal with is the Secondary Air Injection System. Early engines did not have this system so will likely need to move your bits over if you get an older engine. The reference covered in post#4 above explains it.

Old 02-27-2022, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pete M
Hi
This book might be useful. It's the 2006 Technical guide and covers differences. Lots of good info on this site.
http://jagrepair.com/images/Electric...al%20Guide.pdf

Best wishes for your engine change.
Pete M
Hi Pete, I did read through and looking closely on the secondary air pump, that's what sort of worries me. At the same time, it doesn't seem too complicated to transfer from the old engine.

Originally Posted by flatsix
Hi, it is to be expected that the later 4.2 V8s will have slightly modified electronic peripherals, but mechanically they are largely itentical.

The question of the modified electronics seems not to be important to me because all the control units remain in the car anyway and all the peripherals (sensors, actuators, valves, thermostats, etc.) could be taken over from the defective engine.
I would therefore not expect any problems that cannot be solved.
Originally Posted by Six Rotors
I would say a difference which may be tricky to deal with is the Secondary Air Injection System. Early engines did not have this system so will likely need to move your bits over if you get an older engine. The reference covered in post#4 above explains it.
Hi flatsix, Six Rotors, I am starting to agree more with your post and Pete's. The components of the secondary air system do seem to also be transferable to the new engine. So far, I'm able to get a engine out of an 05 with 98k on it for $850. If I can't find anything else, I'll buy this one
I'm still trying to find a 06 or 07 XJ8 so that it would a direct (direct enough) swap.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Confusing info

Jaguar Tech manual states the x356;Supercharged engines are upgraded with VVT like the x350 NA engines. If true that is definitely a help if you swap a x350 NA engine for your x366.
Did not know this, thought both engines got the VVT update with x356 models.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Panelhead
Jaguar Tech manual states the x356;Supercharged engines are upgraded with VVT like the x350 NA engines. If true that is definitely a help if you swap a x350 NA engine for your x366.
Did not know this, thought both engines got the VVT update with x356 models.
So does that mean I can get a X350 engine and swap over the secondary air injection/evap purge valve and, I should be set?

Old 02-28-2022, 08:39 AM
Received 13,425 Likes on 6,623 Posts

Hi JagWagon,

I don't know the details of the damage to your engine, but if your cylinder 7 spark plug simply stripped its threads and blew out, have you considered installing a Heli-coil insert so you can just install a new spark plug?

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
hisport (11-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2022, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi JagWagon,

I don't know the details of the damage to your engine, but if your cylinder 7 spark plug simply stripped its threads and blew out, have you considered installing a Heli-coil insert so you can just install a new spark plug?

Cheers,

Don
Hey Don. The spark plug actually blown and stuck. The porcelain portion of the sparkplug has broken and actually came out when we took apart the coil. The metal portion is stuck inside the head.

Old 03-01-2022, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by JagWagon
Hey Don. The spark plug actually blown and stuck. The porcelain portion of the sparkplug has broken and actually came out when we took apart the coil. The metal portion is stuck inside the head.
Hmmm... So you don't think there's any way to extract what remains of the spark plug? If the metal hex base of the plug is still intact, you may just need to work out any remaining porcelain chips that may be preventing a spark plug socket from seating on the plug base.

Broken spark plugs are very common on certain Ford engines (e.g. 5.4L Triton 3-valve), and special extraction tools are available. The design of the X350 NGK plugs is different, so there may be no applicability, but I thought I'd mention it since it is possible to save a Triton engine with a broken plug.

Can you get your phone over the #7 spark plug hole and take some photos? I know access is limited, but at least it's not cylinder #8!

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 03-01-2022 at 09:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hisport (11-28-2023)
Old 03-03-2022, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hmmm... So you don't think there's any way to extract what remains of the spark plug? If the metal hex base of the plug is still intact, you may just need to work out any remaining porcelain chips that may be preventing a spark plug socket from seating on the plug base.

Broken spark plugs are very common on certain Ford engines (e.g. 5.4L Triton 3-valve), and special extraction tools are available. The design of the X350 NGK plugs is different, so there may be no applicability, but I thought I'd mention it since it is possible to save a Triton engine with a broken plug.

Can you get your phone over the #7 spark plug hole and take some photos? I know access is limited, but at least it's not cylinder #8!

Cheers,

Don
I've attached photos from a probe camera and how the spark plug came out

Old 03-03-2022, 10:09 PM

Well, that is definitely one mangled spark plug!

Do you think the plug disintegrated while the engine was running, or just during removal?

If the plug didn't lose any pieces into the combustion chamber with the engine running, here's what I would personally try on my car:

Rotate the crankshaft until cylinder 7 is at Top Dead Center (TDC)

Carefully put an extendable magnet down the plug well and withdraw all the magnetic pieces you can. Use the largest extendable magnet that will fit. Harbor Freight has one that is about 3/4 inch in diameter. If it will fit, it will pick up more magnetic pieces than a smaller magnet will with lower risk of knocking pieces into the spark plug hole.

Devise a means of vacuuming out the remaining particles. See if a section of 5/8 inch heater hose will fit into the spark plug hole. If not, try 1/2 inch hose or tubing. Secure a length of the hose to your shop vacuum hose, perhaps with duct tape. Vacuum out whatever remaining particles you can from the spark plug tube and cylinder.

Use your probe camera to inspect what remains. If the lower half of the spark plug threads remain in the cylinder head, it may be possible to turn them out with a broken bolt extractor. You have to find a way to get the extractor down the plug tube, and to secure it to whatever extension you use to be sure it can't fall through the spark plug hole into the cylinder. I often use electrical tape to secure a socket or tap to an extension when I really don't want it to fall off. Apply penetrating oil down the spark plug hole to help break the spark plug threaded sleeve free.

If you can twist out the remaining threaded spark plug sleeve, you may then be able to chase the threads in the head with a tap. I think it's a standard 14 mm spark plug thread, but confirm that on one of your undamaged spark plugs. After chasing/repairing the threads, use your vacuum hose and then blow out the cylinder with compressed air while holding a rag over the top of the spark plug tube.

If you cannot remove the remaining spark plug piece, or if the threads in the head are too damaged, you may be able to install a thread repair kit (HeliCoil is one brand, but there are others). This is not as difficult to do as you may think, as long as you are careful and follow the instructions.

What have you got to lose? Replacing the engine or even a cylinder head is a much bigger job.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 03-07-2022 at 09:26 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
Etypephil (03-04-2022), hisport (11-28-2023), paydase (03-04-2022)