XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Engine quits when w/s wipes turned on

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 04:51 AM
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

OK. It will be a few weeks. I have to return to Dallas, then drive to California to pick up a trailer and attend a school reunion. Thanks for the help. Take care.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:54 AM

Thank you for your comments and write-ups about the heat sink problem in x350s.. After some searching on the Internet I was able to locate a heat sink for sale that can make 4 x350 repairs. It is listed below. Thanks again.

eBay Item Id: 291438494178
NO NAME ALUMINUM HEAT SINK SYNC 5-7/8"x 2-3/4"x 2-9/16" $10.00 + $10.80 Priority Shipping (USA).

Old 07-14-2015, 03:53 PM
Default Bad Ground was Culprit!

The readers still showed no appropriate faults. But it turns out that it was caused by a bad ground on the front of the car. Apparently this is a common problem on the x350 and other alunimium bodied cars (Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW & etc.). One of the ground studs fell off the right front of the car and prevented the right headlamps from operation a couple years ago. Although all the studs looked OK now - when I went to loosen the lower stud on the right side (below the one that fell off) it detached from the car. Nothing visual showed - no corrosion at all. All problems went away when I moved the wires to the new connection I mad a few years ago. More detailed research showed that the engine often quits when the wipers are turned on if there is a bad ground. Thanks for the messages. Good luck to all. Take care.
Robert

The following 3 users liked this post by 49Markvman:
MarQuis_70 (03-12-2023), Thermite (07-15-2015), XJR_hunter (12-23-2022)
Old 07-14-2015, 07:28 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

It's great when everything comes together and we get a solution. It's even better when a member of the forum takes the time to report on a good outcome.

Way to go Robert!

The following users liked this post:
MarQuis_70 (03-12-2023)
Old 07-15-2015, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,261 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Originally Posted by 49Markvman
The readers still showed no appropriate faults. But it turns out that it was caused by a bad ground on the front of the car. Apparently this is a common problem on the x350 and other alunimium bodied cars (Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW & etc.). One of the ground studs fell off the right front of the car and prevented the right headlamps from operation a couple years ago. Although all the studs looked OK now - when I went to loosen the lower stud on the right side (below the one that fell off) it detached from the car. Nothing visual showed - no corrosion at all. All problems went away when I moved the wires to the new connection I mad a few years ago. More detailed research showed that the engine often quits when the wipers are turned on if there is a bad ground. Thanks for the messages. Good luck to all. Take care.
Robert

Very good to hear Robert. Glad you found it. Seriously frustrating.

Normally, when I read that an engine dies when the windshield wipers are turned on, I immediately suggest:
Lift one cheek, fart three times, turn had and cough.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Received 199 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Wagstaff
Very good to hear Robert. Glad you found it. Seriously frustrating.

Normally, when I read that an engine dies when the windshield wipers are turned on, I immediately suggest:
Lift one cheek, fart three times, turn had and cough.
*sigh* Ye've been corrupted by that SRX. That's a GM Cattlejack specific fix.

Dasn't work on Jaguar. DAMHIKT.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,261 Likes on 2,381 Posts

Crap, they're on to me...

Old 07-16-2015, 03:41 AM
Received 199 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Wagstaff
Crap, they're on to me...
That was the Caddy speaking, I presume?

Tell Sean to lift the cheek higher.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Robert Sir, may i ask you some question.

I’m having a problem with my 2005 XJ8 VDP (X350) that no one I have spoken to can seem to solve and I have been unable to find any mention of it anywhere in my searches on the Internet.

The car had been working fine until about a month ago. I was several miles away from my house and it started raining. But I discovered that every time I turned my windshield wipers ON (any mode) the engine quit. At first I was told it was the battery so I replaced it with a new one – no difference. I have checked and swapped all the fuses and relays with no change. Everyone seems totally baffled about what this could be.

I’m beginning to suspect a fault in the wiper control stalk. If the engine is not running the wipers work fine in all modes. However, if you park the wipers, turn them off and then start the engine, they rise a few inches above the park position (once they even did a full window sweep). This makes me think that somehow they’re getting a little electrical input when you start the engine.

Does anyone have ideas? Thank you very much for any suggestions. Take care.
I just purchased a 2005 Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas. and it has the same problem like you had. you touch the wiper the engine quits. i read all your questions and awnser but i couldn’t find the exact problem. you had it and you gone through it Can you please share some of your valuable knowledge. i’ll be very appreciated
My email is : Luke.nguyen1993@gmail.com
I live in Toronto Canada.
Thank you!! i hope i hear from you soon!

Old 09-06-2021, 07:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine quits when wipes turn on

Tx to those that blamed the earth points behind the pass. Side headlamps. Nailed it. Thanks. They looked fine. Touched them they fell right off. 05' x350.

Old 09-07-2021, 04:07 PM
Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

I had exactly this problem. Windscreen wipers creeping and then cutting out the engine whilst driving. I did get lots of warnings on the dash at the same time for DSC not available and other warnings. That turned out to be the ground/earth points behind the headlights. One snapped off when I turned it and the others looked ok but I drilled them all out and replaced them with new ground points. That fixed the problem straight away.

Old 12-21-2022, 10:29 AM
Default Problem sorted

I had exactly this problem. Engine started, everything running fine. Windscreen wipers turned on, a bit jumpy, engine cut out and the error messages DSC not available, air suspension fault, brake fluid low, cruise not available, restricted performance, ABS fault all appeared. Checked the earth connections behind the front left headlamp and the lower of the two literally fell off when I touched it. Simple fix. Everything back to how it should be. Thanks for posting the issue - could have been a nightmare trying to trace it otherwise.

Old 02-14-2023, 10:21 AM

This is not a big problem if it happens when driving slow in a parking lot (like my case) but what if you are going 60+ mph on a highway when it happens? No power steering, no power brakes & no engine power - big problem. Everyone with a Al body needs to carefully check the ground points periodically because it apparently happens often. Take care & thanks for all the help on this and other issues.

Old 03-06-2023, 05:52 PM
Default Yep same problem here, 07 vdp, Very Strange Damn-it. I will keep reading...

Yep same problem here, 07 vdp, Very Strange Damn-it. I will keep reading...

I’m having a problem with my 2005 XJ8 VDP (X350) that no one I have spoken to can seem to solve and I have been unable to find any mention of it anywhere in my searches on the Internet.

The car had been working fine until about a month ago. I was several miles away from my house and it started raining. But I discovered that every time I turned my windshield wipers ON (any mode) the engine quit. At first I was told it was the battery so I replaced it with a new one – no difference. I have checked and swapped all the fuses and relays with no change. Everyone seems totally baffled about what this could be.

I’m beginning to suspect a fault in the wiper control stalk. If the engine is not running the wipers work fine in all modes. However, if you park the wipers, turn them off and then start the engine, they rise a few inches above the park position (once they even did a full window sweep). This makes me think that somehow they’re getting a little electrical input when you start the engine.

Does anyone have ideas? Thank you very much for any suggestions. Take care.

Old 03-07-2023, 03:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarQuis_70
Yep same problem here, 07 vdp, Very Strange Damn-it. I will keep reading...
Check the ground post by the headlamps.
Don't remember which side, check them both. That should be your problem. Wiggle them good. One will fall off. Drill a hole there, put a bolt in it's place

Old 03-08-2023, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,427 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Yes that's a very good suggestion!
Did you check the grounds?