XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Engine System Fault & Host of Other Messages

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts
Question Engine System Fault & Host of Other Messages

On the way from work I got the dreaded engine system fault message along with a host of other messages. My car started slowing until I could only go about 10 mph or so. I restarted my car and it did and then after about a mile or so it cleared out and the error messages went away. After that my car drove normally. My guess is that some contamination passed through my fuel system and when it finally passed through everything went back to normal.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:53 AM
Received 13,310 Likes on 6,582 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
On the way from work I got the dreaded engine system fault message along with a host of other messages. My car started slowing until I could only go about 10 mph or so. I restarted my car and it did and then after about a mile or so it cleared out and the error messages went away. After that my car drove normally. My guess is that some contamination passed through my fuel system and when it finally passed through everything went back to normal.
Hi carelm,

I don't think you should assume the problem was temporary and is unlikely to recur. I would recommend that you have your car scanned for diagnostic fault codes (DTCs) at a shop with the capability of reading the proprietary Jaguar codes and not just the generic OBDII codes. It's likely that some or most of the DTCs will be spurious, but some will provide clues as to why the Engine Control Module (ECM) and other control modules thought there was a problem serious enough to trigger the warning messages that appeared on your instrument cluster (Restricted Performance?).

If you'll write down all the codes exactly as they appear and post them here, we'll be happy to try to help.

Since your issues are different from hawaiianjag's, I'm going to move your post into your own separate thread.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 02-11-2017 at 09:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (02-17-2017), XJRay (02-17-2017)