XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Engine system fault parking brake fault dsc not available cause is throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Cambo351,

That is terrific information! Do you happen to know if the supercharged cars like our X350 XJR use the same TPS?

Thanks,

Don
Yes the Supercharged X350 and S-Type have the same TPS, but a different throttle body.

Good price, but that throttle body only suits the V6 cars.

While the TPS is the same on:

X-Type; 2.5 & 3.0
S-Type >2002.5MY; 2.5, 3.0, 4.2, 4.2 S/C
X350 XJ; 3.0, 3.5, 4.2, 4.2 S/C

The throttle bodies themselves are obviously not the same.

The V6 ones are interchangeable, but the 4.2's are bigger, and have different designs depending on N/A or S/C...

EDIT

And it's worth mentioning that the 4.2L XK & XKR are also different, and they have different TPS as well.

The following 4 users liked this post by Cambo:
AD2014 (07-26-2014), Don B (07-24-2014), lcmjaguar (08-28-2014), Thermite (07-10-2015)
Old 07-24-2014, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Daneel227
Well, I had the fault condition one time while driving (2005 XJ8L) 2 weeks ago. The car suddently went into "limp mode" with all of the fault conditions for the first time (99,957 miles). I took the car to the dealership the next day, after performing some research here on the forum (I am definitely not mechanically inclined). The dealership encountered the problem upon a diagnostic test drive. They installed a new Throttle Body for $606.74 (parts and labor).
I think that's very reasonable for supply & install.

But, that is a N/A 4.2 with the throttle body at the front of the engine, and would be a very quick job to swap the TB out.

On the S/C cars the throttle body is at the rear of the engine, tucked up under the scuttle. Several hours work and it's a PITA...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...29/#post954046

Old 07-28-2014, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, the dsc not available, engine failure, and parkbrake failure was due to a cabin fuse.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Received 13,304 Likes on 6,580 Posts

Originally Posted by vmr2002
For me, the dsc not available, engine failure, and parkbrake failure was due to a cabin fuse.
Hi vmr2002,

Do you remember which fuse? And when you say a "cabin fuse," do you mean a fuse in the fusebox in the passenger footwell?

Thanks,

Don

Old 07-29-2014, 07:09 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MML6878
I've been getting the same dreaded codes. Read all these posts and have sprayed the MAF sensor, retired the TPS harness (broken male plug) and have replaced battery. Next is cleaning the throttle body, tomorrow morning. If that doesn't do it I'll be looking for the least expensive new TB to replace myself this weekend. Love my 2005 X350 but this one has been a pain in the butt.
My problem was definitely the throttle motor wires (two wire connection going to the throttle motor). The day I cleaned the throttle body it started running just fine, but by the end of the day it wouldn't start without going into limp mode within a second or two.

I had tried cleaning and put di-electric on the connection and tightening the metal clips in the receiving end of the connection but it turns out that connection was the cause of my issues.

In messing with the connection, and I'm sure due to age and the fact that connection is so close to so many heated engine parts, the plastic connection itself fell apart.

I toyed with obtaining a new plug and may still at some point, however, wanting to know if my loose connection was the cause I stripped the plug, removed the clips and soldered the wires directly (via solid core Romex) to the throttle motor posts. I added high temp silicone to protect, weatherize and strengthen the connection.

I was worried about extending the wire length with any different wire, having experienced changes in resistance causing electrical issues in the past, however, this is just an electrical control for the throttle motor, no harm no foul so far.

Since the fix, two weeks ago, no issues what so ever. No TPS sensor errors, probably because the throttle motor is now moving correctly and besides the $2.00 silicone, no expense. Saves the TPS sensor, saved the throttle body. I little upset it took a month to figure out but am very happy it didn't involve outside assistance, other than this forum.

Thank you all. Now, on to improving the A/C.

The following users liked this post:
Thermite (07-10-2015)
Old 08-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Default throttle body flash

getting ready to buy a new throttle body for 05 XJ8 VDP on Ebay. Says it must be flashed.. does a Jag dealer have to do this? Or can any new car dealer do it?

Old 08-28-2014, 06:21 PM

Welcome to the forum Phil, when you get a moment stop by our new members area and introduce yourself ==>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

When I changed my throttle body / TPS i did reflash the ECU, it's my understanding that its part of the official procedure. But in saying that I do recall some members saying that they did not do the reflash.

In order to reflash the ECU you do need the dealer-level diagnostic system for Jags, a generic diagnostic system can't do that.

Don B (08-28-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 06:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, my TB motor repair lasted about a month, maybe five weeks. A great accomplishment.

Last week I was tooling down a Chicago highway when it went into limp mode again. I glided to an off ramp and into a parking lot. It was hot out and I had just started my day of business appointments and errands. I pulled out my tools from the trunk and started to look at the TB and my repair, everything looked good and snug but it wouldn't start without restricted performance-- again.

I was not in the mood for this so I called AAA and had it towed to my indie guy in Highland Park. He hooked up his computer and said the TPS wan't getting readings. That was it for me. I told him to replace the throttle body. He was surprised, he said in his 20+ years he's only replace two previously on Jags. He said they don't often need it. He installed a rebuilt unit and my great car is back.

When I picked it up he said one of my repair wires had broken off under the silicone. I'm not sure how that happened, except that I used solid core wire on a car (hello, I should have known better). It was very well sealed and non-moving in my high temp silicone glob of improvised connection material.

At that point I didn't care, just wanted to get going again. Total repair, $1400 ($850+labor).

The whole experience was a pain but I'm glad I could try everything everyone recommended on here first before a total TB replacement. Thanks everyone for your help and advice regarding this issue.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:15 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MML6878
I was not in the mood for this so I called AAA and had it towed to my indie guy in Highland Park. He hooked up his computer and said the TPS wan't getting readings. That was it for me. I told him to replace the throttle body. He was surprised, he said in his 20+ years he's only replace two previously on Jags. He said they don't often need it.
Glad your story has a relatively happy ending, but I'm surprised at what your indie says. Throttle body failures & replacements are not that unusual on these cars.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:19 PM

Just bought a new one from SNG Barratt for $199 on EBay. 12 month warranty that will be wasted on who ever buys it as I am trading it in on a new Caddie for my wife. Now will do the job myself as it looks reasonable. It comes with the TPS installed so was a fantastic deal. The have 4 more at this price.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile 2004 jaguar vanden plas

If you get a engine fault dsc not available and parking break fault all at once especially after it rains or you go through a car wash it is a very simple fix . You most likely have water built up in the cabin air filter box which allow water to get inside the car and get things wet behind the dash . If this happen clear the hole at the bottom of the box . Now if the car restarts in limp mode turn on your heater and let the car sit for about ten minutes or drive for ten minutes in limp mode (may take longer ) turn the car of and it should come out of limp mode . Now if you turn the car over and it does not start follow same strategy about but you have to replace the coil fuse , it is ten amps and it is located in the line of fuses closest to the fender it is in the f30 slot should be the very first 10 amp red fuse in the line closest to the fender . Try this before you change your throttle body this is a $2.00 and some of your time fix ,do not be fooled but mechanics that are not in the know. after it comes out of limp mode all faults will clear on their own but you will see check engine light stays on . No fear after a dozen starts it will clear itself so remember my fellow jaguar owners the golden rule is MAINTENENCE . Have a very awesome day . Oh and by the way if you ever do need a new throttle body buy it from buyautoparts.com and really you can do it yourself if you have even the slightest automotive experience it took me literally a little over and hour to change and I changed the air intake filter at the same time $28.00 at autozone .

Thermite (07-10-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 08:04 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Gang,

have had the car for two months. Thought I was so fortunate to not have any issues so far. Reading the forum has really opened my eyes with regards to the maintenance on thes cars.I have put approx 1200 kms.

However, today while driving home in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour the "park brake/dsc etc..." came on. the amber and red light in the speedometer as well. As i released the brake to make a left turn, it went into limp mode. I pulled over and restarted the car. Same thing happened again, tried to make a turn, released brake pedal etc.. Restarted the car again, but this time engine light came on and made it the remaining 2kms home. let it sit while i had dinner. when i restarted the car again still had the check engine light on, but car runs fine. Took it for a few kms around the side streets where i lived so as not to get stuck if it started to limp again.

So my question is, would someone be kind enough to post photos of the throttle body, TPS and Mass air flow sensor for me so I can take a look before i get it checked out.

Thanks ever so much in advance!

Old 09-24-2015, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Read the codes first.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:34 AM

Hi JagV8,

i don't have one of those mongoose gizmos. But should start scouting for one. I wanted to see where exactly the TB etc.. was in the engine bay so I could do a cursory inspection of the wiring, connectors, contacts etc...

Fab

Old 09-24-2015, 09:21 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by FabCat
Hi JagV8,

i don't have one of those mongoose gizmos. But should start scouting for one. I wanted to see where exactly the TB etc.. was in the engine bay so I could do a cursory inspection of the wiring, connectors, contacts etc...

Fab
HAve you downloaded and installed the workshop manual, downloaded the individual workshop manual PDFs from the threads at the top of this forum?

They provide a wealth of information and will point you in the right direction to finding and curing your issue.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-links-20085/

FabCat (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 10:02 AM

thanks trosty, i will give it a go. I just hoped someone would post the photos. I am a paint by numbers kind of guy.

Fab

Old 09-24-2015, 03:17 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

You do not need a Mongoose to read your codes you can go to AutoZone, Advance Auto, Sears or any other garage to get them read.

FabCat (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 03:24 PM

Cheers Gus! will do.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:29 AM

Update, the check engine light is off and car seems fine. Went for a few drives 10-20kms Going to get it check out next week. Weird?

Old 09-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

No. The codes will still be there, they are just not currently happening.

Quick Reply: Engine system fault parking brake fault dsc not available cause is throttle body