XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

? Engine Systems Fault, Dsc not available, Park brake fault. what is this ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ? Engine Systems Fault, Dsc not available, Park brake fault. what is this ?

i'm taking it to the dealership to get fixed. what is the potentional problems and what should it cost me to fix( estimate)

Old 12-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Default RE: ? Engine Systems Fault, Dsc not available, Park brake fault. what is this ?

oh by the way its a 2004 xjr

Old 05-04-2009, 03:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cincinnati, I have the exact same problem, did you get an answer?
GeorgeC

Old 05-09-2009, 12:54 AM

This link may point you towards a resolution: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=13153

Old 05-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Smile Engine system fault, Dsc not available, Park brake fault

I have had this problem for some time. First check your park brake and Dsc (skid control) if they work then forget, see the lights on the dash. Could be low pad, sensor fault etc but most likely not the problem. The engine system fault is the most likely area to look. Obviously check the usual fluids, oils etc. Does the engine sound good when you raise the revs? I then tried using a lower grade gas and the frequency of the engine system fault etc appearing went substantially down, to once every two days, I then switched back to the premium gas and the frequency of the warning increased greatly, every approx 5 miles. This indicates a problem in the mixture of gas to air as the most likely area to investigate. Since the problem increased with the premium gas this led me to think that there was not enough air in the fuel/ air mix. I went to the local Jaguar dealer (Victoria, British Columbia) and he had no interest in helping me with the codes etc so I went to a local european mechanic (Franks on Government) who could read codes and he told me that the code indicated the trottle position sensor was the area of the problem. This tied in with what I had found so I removed the air filter and this appeares to have solved the problem for now. The saga continues!
Maybe some expert reading this can help with this problem because it appeares to be a widespread problem. I think the reason nobody wants to take it on is because the sensors are connected in such a way that all three problems appear to occur at once, so which one is it? The Dsc and the handbrake problem are easy to eliminate leaving the engine problem.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:00 PM

Have now narrowed my problem to the mass air flow sensor. The sensor between the air filter, mounted on the black plastic, and the aluminum body. This measures the air temp, the humidity and air volume. Allows the computer adjust the fuel volume. This is on a XJ8, 2004. The mass flow sensor is made in Spain by Denso, part number 1X43-12B579-AB, MB197400-3021. Does aybody know where I can get a reasonable priced part?

Old 05-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Well I have this very same problem and my friend who is a jaguar master tech told me that the little spring inside of the throttle body is broken. Unfortunately I think that the entire TB must be replaced to solve the problem. He said if you attempt to rebuild them, they never run right. I think he said it was the throttle body return spring.. I have also heard that the MAF can contribute to that problem, but in my case, the spring was the main reason. Eric

The following users liked this post:
kismat (01-06-2011)
Old 05-26-2009, 07:03 PM

The mass air flow sensor collects dust etc., it can be brushed with a shaver brush and gently washed with water and gently blown dry. I have done this and for the first time in a long time the engine light went out. Maybe this is it??? The saga continues!

Old 05-26-2009, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by whiteSTR
Well I have this very same problem and my friend who is a jaguar master tech told me that the little spring inside of the throttle body is broken. Unfortunately I think that the entire TB must be replaced to solve the problem. He said if you attempt to rebuild them, they never run right. I think he said it was the throttle body return spring.. I have also heard that the MAF can contribute to that problem, but in my case, the spring was the main reason. Eric
EXACTLY ! I ended up having 2 issues with car #1 they replaced the entire throttle body $820 (ouch) gaskets, throttle body elbow. parts total was $1027.00 labor was $490 !!!!!! My local jaguar dealer performed the work , i almost sold the car when i got the bill. But she's fine now and i love her again

Old 05-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeC
The mass air flow sensor collects dust etc., it can be brushed with a shaver brush and gently washed with water and gently blown dry. I have done this and for the first time in a long time the engine light went out. Maybe this is it??? The saga continues!
Take a trip to your local auto parts store and pick up a can of "Mass Air Flow Cleaner" it's almost identical to brake cleaner, but its safe on plastics. That is actually the best way to clean the MAF because it leaves no residue and evaporate immediately. Anything else could actually permanently ruin the MAF, they are *extremely* sensitive. Eric

Old 05-26-2009, 09:18 PM

Hope this help anyone...
1. Part# c2c20541 throttle body $820
2. Part# ncc7735ba Elbo outlet-seal $67.26
3. Part# aj86892 duct seal $56.52
4. Part# aj83292 $16.67
5. Part# aj83445 $10.63

Old 05-31-2009, 11:38 PM

The cleaning of the mass air flow sensor has done the trick. The various warnings, Engine system fault, Dsc not available, Park brake fault, have all disappeared and the engine light has been out now for a week and I am getting my confidence restored. At least in future I will know that the sensors can be cleaned by MAF cleaner and that the sensors are connected. Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteSTR
Eric,

Can you ask if there is a way to check if the spring is broken?

Any ideas why the TB/MAF would cause the other two messages: "DSC not available", "Parkbrake fault". I would understand the "Engine system failure", "DSC" - somewhat, but parkbrake?

Old 07-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if anyone can get me an actual dtc i can help. no pad sensor on a '04 xj.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my MAF sensor and one week later the problem was back. Am going to try to clean the original sensor (bought the MAF cleaner) and see if that does the trick. Am really hoping that this is not the Throttle Body as the car is now out of warranty. I am surprised that this has not been a TSB or Recall issue as the "limp home" mode is really dangerous in this car as it has absolutely no power to get out of anything's way.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Default Mass Airflow Sensor

This sensor is very sensitive. If the large flat black plastic cover / plate between the rad and the front is not in place it will read a fault. If the seals around the trottlebody and the connecting tubes are not good it will read a fault. If the air filter is not clean it will read a fault. For me the cleaning of the sensor with the correct solution was the answer. However the cover installation was also critical including the foam seal around the air intake. The plate installation keeps water out.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:13 PM

I have a 2004 Jagaur XJ8 with the Engine Systems fault,DSC not available, Parking Brake Fault issueas well. I have changemy air intake to a cold air intake with a K&N air filter and I had removed my filter box. Could this be causing the Mass air flow sensor to be off and allowing too much air into the T.B.? I was thinking of changing it back to what is was. Is there anyway to clean and seal the T.B.?

Old 12-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cause of this problem is bad gasoline

I had this problem with my 2005 S-Type 4.2 V8. I had it last year and cleaned my Mass Air Flow Sensor and it went away. Then it came again this Spring and replaced the MAF but it didn't go away. I then replaced my throttle body (very expensive) and when it happened again I was dismayed, but determined to find the solution. The only common denominator was the gasoline I used.
I went to the auto store to get some Dry Gas (four of these errors occurred on the way to the store). The store didn't have Dry Gas, but they did have an Injector Cleaner with a moisture inhibitor in it. Read the contents. I bought a can and put it in the gas tank, topped off the tank from a different gas station than my normal, and I have not had the problem since.
I believe the problem was caused by a tank of bad gasoline. Either the octane was low or there was water in it. The injector cleaner will inhibit the moisture as well as boost the octane. AND, it only cost $4.99 for the can, not $110 for the MAF and $769 for the throttle body.
Try this first before taking it to the dealer.

The following users liked this post:
Jag-Guy (05-09-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 02:22 AM

ok really new to Jaguars,had the same problem today, read a few interesting posts recommending disconnecting the battery and it will reset,so far so good. I did read WhiteSTR's great post, I did have a question though what area exactly would you use the cleaner, just around the sensor/throttle body? Appreciate the advice.

Happy New Years!

Quick Reply: ? Engine Systems Fault, Dsc not available, Park brake fault. what is this ?