XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

? Engine Systems Fault, Dsc not available, Park brake fault. what is this ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 10:12 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Just in case someone does a search and comes up with this thread, I had the same, or similar, problem. Even though it looks like there are many things that can cause these and other symptoms mine turned out to be a loose ground connection behind the drivers-side headlight. No corrosion present, just a loose nut. I also bought a new MAF ($268) and a can of the afor-mentioned CRC MAF cleaner ($6) but never got around to using either one. But that's O.K. They're both on-hand should I ever need them.

My symptoms also included windshield wipers creeping up the windshield, occasional loss of the speed-sensitive power steering and the odometer doubling up the mileage.

This is a serious issue that seems to affect quite a few cars.

Last edited by genec; 12-04-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:59 PM
Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow this just happened to me after 2 weeks on road. Will check wiring to tb as well as loose ground since my drivers headlight has been flickering on bumps, what a whacked out car man, never in my life have I seen such bizarre things and I have owned them all and one point or another. Pretty disheartening that this car was 75k plus new and it cannot hang 14 years, that’s pretty awful. My 86 Grand National with massive mods and 650hp all original wiring still runs like new,lol. Jag should be ashamed.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:30 AM
Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

Why with all of us on here, techs included that there is NOT a definitive fix?? Makes 0 sense, hasn't anyone ever fixed this problem?

OK She is really pissing me off!! OK been on road for 250 miles now, had the DSC Not available, engine, brake, failure code, shuts car OFF on highway 3 times almost got KILLED trying to get to shoulder on Saturday. Man this is bad, What the hell. Early got the MAF code, then this big fault which everyone claims in the throttle body. Checked all connections, no moisture, packed them with grease and re connected, reset battery and WHAM 20 min later shuts off AGAIN!! Now my brake lights are stuck on sometimes after leaving car and setting alarm?? Parking brake code and error now on dash!! WTF is it with this "Supercar" very scary and disappointing any help would be greatly appreciated since this is now my only driver.

Still keep getting maf code too even after proper cleaning. Car is a wackjob. Is it parking brake module??

Is it the brake module?? This car is starting to get into the "This car is a pos" section of my life.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello All:
I was plagued by this fault for years until my son (who is a mechanic) found an issue with the throttle. The throttle linkage on the throttle body is made up of three pieces. One outer piece which is the external connection to the throttle, one inner piece that is attached to the throttle plate itself and a center piece that "floats" in the middle balanced by two springs. My son found that the center piece was not "floating" due to corrosion on the shaft. He loosened it and cleaned it and then lubed it. I have not had the fault in over a year. Check your throttle linkage for this problem.
Jeff

The following users liked this post:
OnebadassXJR (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem a year ago. After checking all kinds of things it turned out the problem was a vapor leak from the head gasket. The very small vapor leak was messing up the sensors trying to adjust the fuel ratios and giving the problem signals.
the car ran great when cool but when the engine got hot the problem signals would happen.
i installed a new gasket, that and generally cleaning up everything else took about 8 hours.
The car ran great after that.
So check the cooling system pressure when really hot and see if it is reducing or if you are loosing water. My leak was so small that I did not notice the water reduction and I could not read the pressure reduction. On a cold day do you notice steam from the exhaust. ( in the mid summer, who is this guy)
anyway that was my experience and solution.
Good luck.
GeorgeC

Old 07-31-2018, 10:47 PM
Received 214 Likes on 113 Posts

For future reference:-

Had the same on my x358 and after cleaning connections, replacing the MAF, the throttle body etc it turned out to be the pedal position sensor housed within the accelerator pedal. Ironically it was the cheapest of all the parts I had changed coming in at £90 Inc vat from the dealer.

These fly by wire systems mean there is no physical connection between accelerator pedal (which contains two wipers that each pass over a strip on a board within the pedal) and throttle body so when signals don't tally the car doesn't know where the throttle plate is and as it could be wide open at that point it goes into fail safe knocking out some of the cylinders and restricting the power.

This sensor on other marques seems to have a life expectancy of around 80,000 miles so might be worth a look as it is as critical as the throttle position sensor within the throttle body itself only alot cheaper!

The following users liked this post:
GGG (08-01-2018)