EPB MOT problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EPB MOT problem

Hi all.
Has enyone had this problem?
Any ideas what's broken?
The pads and disc's are good and I can hear the electric parking brake motor when engaging the EPB lever. But the car barely brakes
It does eventually stop if I hold the lever but it takes several seconds.
I got a MOT failure for this. Claiming the car only brakes 9% instead of the minimum 16%... whatever that means
I have done the reset EPB procedure.
X350 xj 2003
Thanks!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Roman K
Hi all.
Has enyone had this problem?
Any ideas what's broken?
The pads and disc's are good and I can hear the electric parking brake motor when engaging the EPB lever. But the car barely brakes
It does eventually stop if I hold the lever but it takes several seconds.
I got a MOT failure for this. Claiming the car only brakes 9% instead of the minimum 16%... whatever that means
I have done the reset EPB procedure.
X350 xj 2003
Thanks!
Sounds like you may need the parking brake calibrated using the Dealer WDS computer system.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Parking brake problem

Just to be clear the car seems to brake fine while driving. The parking brake does not apply braking force when it is solely operated to stop the car. In that case I would review my link regarding brake service.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...service-61323/

In addition to a total brake service, there are (2) Jaguar pdf. attachments included at the end. One of the attachment has the specific procedure for resetting the electric parking brake. I would try that first. The electric parking brake activates a servo/solenoid which pulls a cable which then pulls a lever on the back of the brake caliper to activate the brake. If the calibration procedure doesn't solve the issue. I would suggest you remove rear wheel and observe the cable while someone applies and releases the EPB to see if the lever is actually moving.

If the lever is actually moving, I would then follow the bleeding procedure in the attached pdf. for the rear caliper. The rear calipers are very complicated and have the parking brake mechanism built inside the bore and piston. It requires a special retraction tool that threads the piston back into the bore instead of pressing straight in. After bleeding the rear calipers, I would also bleed the front.

If the lever or cable doesn't move then you have to isolate the problem. Release the parking brake and remove the cable from the end of the lever and see if the lever is frozen. If the lever frozen then replace the rear caliper and bleed the system. If the lever moves and the cable doesn't then the problem is with the solenoid that retracts the cable.

What you are describing would be very uncharacteristic for the rear calipers since they do not readily retract and tend to actually drag slightly. If recalibration and bleeding doesn't solve this, I would then replace the rear calipers then flush and bleed the entire system. If you are doing all that, then I would recommend reviewing the enitre proceedure and doing the total brake job.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This problem dissapeared after I made the procedure for resetting the electric parking brake a few times. Cheers edobernig!

The following users liked this post:
edobernig (01-30-2013)