XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Euro Baddies, Jaguars, & the Adman

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 03:58 AM
Received 132 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Euro Baddies, Jaguars, & the Adman

I don't know about other places in the U.S. or or other places in the world, but I have to say that the recent ads (adverts) being plastered all over every channel from ABC to IFC has really, IMHO, raised the level of desire for Jags. The Adman did quite well for their profession, and the Jag owner, with this round.

Jeremy Clarkson, in Top Gear, made a crack a few seasons ago regarding them by saying, "Why doesn't a adman look out the window in the morning? Because then he'd have nothing to do in the afternoon." Well, I recon that even he would agree that there was one morning not wasted with these.

By now, you may be asking yourself what this has to do with the X350. Rest assured, I'm getting to that. It's been a well-known fact that some ladies are drawn to the "bad-boy" and many-a-day has come to pass where the good guy loses out to them. These play into that perfectly. Not only are they elegant, luxurious, fun to drive, striking to look at from any distance, and have a devious nature to them, they have a certain charm that is only synonymous with themselves; Jaguar.

Sleek black Jags with tinted windows project thoughts of a Jason Statham type character from "The Transporter" eluding all comers. Yes, he had a BMW, but that's not the point. Simon Pegg, whether his choice or not, had the good sense to put Simon Skinner, the murderous smarmy villain from "Hot Fuzz" in a white Jag. The clean purity of the white convertible with the ominous lines of a Jaguar. It just fit. The casting was spot on as well.

Now, on to the relevance. Out of all the Jags of the modern era, I prefer the XJs. As I've had five since March that varied in interior & exterior color and model, from two XJ8s to a VDP, to two XJRs. I had to find the "right" one for me.

My current is a black 05 XJR and is so far the top of my list to date. I did something completely unintentional when I got her. With the help of the Adman driving up demand and, as such, increasing the value of the available Jags, by buying this XJR, I have increased the value of any X350 XJR that comes up for sale within a 200 mile radius as this was the last one. How can I claim that? I did a search on all of the major car sites and there are no XJRs within 200 miles for sale right now. Couple that with the depreciation rate, as of late, making them more attainable to those who can't normally drop $75,000 for an auto and you've got a combination that will be attractive to all sides.

If anyone chooses to list theirs, they can command a premium and, most likely, get it. As long as it's a sound car or has only minor issues that is. It may take a bit to find the right buyer, but the right car needs the right owner. Additionally, a person-to-person sale is much more likely to bring a better price as the stigma of a used car salesman has not dwindled and probably won't in the foreseeable future. Along with the personal knowledge one has with a car that they can share with the perspective buyer.

Other models are sure to see a spike as well, but I can only speak for what I've seen with the XJs. I don't see letting go of mine anytime soon, but I feel a certain level of comfort knowing that if I chose to, I could.

In summation, a big thank you to the Jaguar Adman for creating a distinct buzz about something that has been known on this forum as fact for some time; on all aspects, nothing beats a Jag. A nod goes out to Hollywood for ensuring that the right car is cast for the right character as well. Keep it up!

I'm curious to hear. What say you?

Last edited by ragman1171; 10-17-2014 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,261 Likes on 2,381 Posts

My Super V8 took a deep dive in value back in June? I think. (See me rant titled 10 Years gone and KBB) It's come back up some and stabilized.

I hope you're right Ragman but frankly, with the sale of new cars running hot for the past 1 1/2 years, the value of used cars will drop and fairly hard within the next year. I'm referencing used vehicles in general. It will be interesting to see the impact on these beautiful cars.

Here's to hoping you're right.

The following users liked this post:
ragman1171 (10-17-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sean Wagstaff
My Super V8 took a deep dive in value back in June? I think. (See me rant titled 10 Years gone and KBB) It's come back up some and stabilized.

I hope you're right Ragman but frankly, with the sale of new cars running hot for the past 1 1/2 years, the value of used cars will drop and fairly hard within the next year. I'm referencing used vehicles in general. It will be interesting to see the impact on these beautiful cars.

Here's to hoping you're right.
Hey Sean,
I recall reading that and I think I even commented on it as well. If the economy remains stagnant or even rises a little, used car values will increase again as there will be a bit more expendable cash to get "something newer".

With the government "Cash for clunkers" program, they did for used cars what prohibition did for booze. It took A LOT of used cars straight to the crusher and out of circulation. Granted, many of them probably needed to go, but a lot were probably still quite usable. For a while, the used car lots were running low on stock as there weren't as many any more.

KBB and NADA have always varied in what they say the value is, but the bottom line is something is only worth what someone will pay. Before Betsy, I sold Faith for more than KBB and more than NADA. I was set on a price and that's what it was worth to me. I found s like minded person who didn't care what the book says that auto was worth as it was a generalization of all cars of that year, make, and model.

Horoscopes are 1 in 12. A broad generalization of 1/12 the population of the Earth. When people can see beyond a book at what it's worth to them, then you have the real value of your car.

I actually lost money on Betsy as the Ins Co gave me NADA, tax, & title fee for her that was a full $1,000 less than I would have taken for a sale. Be that as it may, hopefully the powers that be will learn more about the market for these and make the proper adjustments.

But, in comparison, a few people to put a value on every car ever made every year, they can't always see it everything and have to make the general depreciation based on it being another year old and what it did the year before.

If the Adman can keep the masses frothing at the mouth for our Cats, then we will make out in the end if we choose that route. Supply and demand is not dead yet.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 637 Posts

I posted recently and quoted forum members in the Uk who were reporting

that values of the XJR had stabilised or were increasing.

I always thought that these cars would become classics but not quite so soon!

The following users liked this post:
ragman1171 (10-18-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by meirion1
I posted recently and quoted forum members in the Uk who were reporting

that values of the XJR had stabilised or were increasing.

I always thought that these cars would become classics but not quite so soon!
I must have missed that or don't recall it or maybe it was in my subconscious when I was hacking away at my keyboard. At any rate, I'm glad to see it and I hope the trend continues forward.