XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Exhaust gas recirculation control - circuit low

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 344 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Exhaust gas recirculation control - circuit low

Hi everybody,
As I said in another thread, I recently had an Engine Coolant Low msg that required a change of the expansion tank but more importantly a replacement of the valley hoses, a lot of work that was performed by my Jag mechanics (I am unable to tackle such a job myself).

Today I collected my car.
When the engine was ignited, the orange engine light appeared.
The mech docked a diagnosis system on it (not our IDS-SDD) and found the P0489-00 DTC, Exhaust gas recirculation control - circuit low.
He could suppress it and the orange light disappeared.

Tonight I opened a SDD session with my VCM and found again this DTC, as well as the orange light.
Clearing all the codes did not allow to clear that code, even by restarting a new session, the only evolution being that the status of the code went from intermittent to pending.
However, when starting the engine, the orange light disappeared.
I noticed however a more pronounced exhaust smell, as we can sometimes smell for older engines.
Back from a short trip, the smell seems to have disappeared and the orange signal is not there anymore.
An apparently not permanent failure that I will follow-up.

So my question: what could have caused this DTC and possible weak gas recirculation?
Could it be a sensor badly connected when reinstalling the engine components?
What would be the possible ways to cure that?

Old 11-24-2016, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

If you say you could smell a pronounced exhaust smell then maybe the egr tube is leaking at either end.

There is supposed to be a metal gasket either end and if one or both are missing or the bolts/nuts are not tightened down there would be a leak.

That would cause the smell as well as the fault.

Simply a loose connector I would doubt that would cause any smell.

Last edited by jackra_1; 11-24-2016 at 02:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
paydase (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for the opinion.
I will check if the DTC remains or re-appears and if the smell is still around.
I hope it's not a leak at the EGR level, requiring a new desassembly after all the work already performed...

Old 11-24-2016, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paydase
Thank you for the opinion.
I will check if the DTC remains or re-appears and if the smell is still around.
I hope it's not a leak at the EGR level, requiring a new desassembly after all the work already performed...
IF it is just the fact that bolts and nuts on the egr pipe need tightening not much disassembly required other than taking out cabin air filter assembly.

paydase (11-24-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you again for your advice.

New diagnostics session tonight and P0489-00 DTC (Exhaust gas recirculation control - circuit low) is still there.

Looking at the DTC help provided by SDD, it states that the likely cause is a fault in the power supply circuit of the exhaust gas recirculation valve, with a short circuit to ground and/or high resistance, so more of an electrical problem than a mechanical one.
SDD requires as an action to carry out a pinpoint test using the Jaguar diagnostic system (the VMM device that I do not have).

But put more simply, would that mean that maybe the electrical connections of the EGR system were not properly made during re-assembly and that it should be re-plugged?.

I have seen how the access to the EGR looks uneasy in your thread here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roblem-161452/

I will try to unplug/plug the electrical connector behind the EGR, hoping there is not too much to dismantle for accessing there.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paydase
Thank you again for your advice.

New diagnostics session tonight and P0489-00 DTC (Exhaust gas recirculation control - circuit low) is still there.

Looking at the DTC help provided by SDD, it states that the likely cause is a fault in the power supply circuit of the exhaust gas recirculation valve, with a short circuit to ground and/or high resistance, so more of an electrical problem than a mechanical one.
SDD requires as an action to carry out a pinpoint test using the Jaguar diagnostic system (the VMM device that I do not have).

But put more simply, would that mean that maybe the electrical connections of the EGR system were not properly made during re-assembly and that it should be re-plugged?.

I have seen how the access to the EGR looks uneasy in your thread here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roblem-161452/

I will try to unplug/plug the electrical connector behind the EGR, hoping there is not too much to dismantle for accessing there.
In my opinion it is easier to get at the connector on the EGR than the egr pipe itself.

Not too much to disassemble.

I had a loose connection back there when I replaced my supercharger the first time.

paydase (11-25-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member

Good news: after checking behind the block in the firewall area, the EGR electrical connector was the culprit.
The mechanics had indeed forgotten to replug it after the supercharger re-assembly...
@jackra_1, thx for your help.
Now SOLVED (to the admins: could you please edit the title?).

jackra_1 (11-28-2016)
Old 02-26-2023, 12:31 PM
Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

I know this is an old one but this is great input for my search
and again how seriously helpfull all those questions and replies can be
DAIMLER SUPER EIGHT is currently undrivable due to severe gas smells inside cabin