XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Experience at Jaguar Plano/Park Place

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Experience at Jaguar Plano/Park Place

This story has several themes.

1. The used car lot that sold me the "R" listed the vehicle online as having "all keys", among other things that were not entirely accurate. I printed the listing out to have with me for support during final negotiations during the buying process, and I pointed out that all Jags are sold new including 2 sets of keys/remotes and a valet key. I was willing to forego the valet key as long as I could get a second key/remote. The salesman agreed. Well, it took over a month to get compliance, but today I finally got this thing covered. Total billed to used car lot: $442.15. OUCH!

2. The service adviser that "assisted" me was cordial, but she was pretty robotic. She made no effort whatsoever to get to know me, engage me, or endear herself and/or her service department to me.

3. On line item "F", the invoice I was handed stated the following: "Advised of Future Service Needs". I was never advised of a darned thing. That was pretty lame.

4. On line item "C", the invoice also stated "Dirty-Unable to Inspect" "Blem Walk Around".

5. On line item "E", it lists a "Courtesy Wash".

I'm not even going to frustrate myself by explaining my issues with 4 and 5 above. If you want, you can figure that one out. Sheesh.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Seriously.... It's a USED CAR!!! What do you expect? This type of thing is normal. Maybe next time you should buy direct from an owner who actually cares about their vehicle.

I'm amazed at how picky people are when Jags are such an incredible value already. It's like the owners need everything handed to them on a silver platter but at a wholesale price. Come on!

You chose to buy the car and chose to buy from this dealer. Why complain to us?

Old 10-26-2011, 08:30 PM

you completely missed my point. Caveat Emptor is always the order of the day. I bought the car knowing that the car didn't have all keys, and I got the car lot to make good on an inaccurate claim.

My R is in great shape. I have no complaints with it or the lot I bought it from. My complaints lie with The Jag dealer, and with your attitude, 04XJ8. But thankfully, your gruff post is the exception rather than the rule. Almost everyone else here has been very gracious to me. Maybe you're just having a bad hair day. Please relax.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:32 PM

after reading your post again, it's clear to me that you didn't read my post carefully. We're speaking about two different dealers: the used car lot I bought car from and the Jag dealer I visited today to get the new key/remote. Read the post more closely. You'll understand it better if you do.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:07 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperTrav
This story has several themes.

1. The used car lot that sold me the "R" listed the vehicle online as having "all keys", among other things that were not entirely accurate. I printed the listing out to have with me for support during final negotiations during the buying process, and I pointed out that all Jags are sold new including 2 sets of keys/remotes and a valet key. I was willing to forego the valet key as long as I could get a second key/remote. The salesman agreed. Well, it took over a month to get compliance, but today I finally got this thing covered. Total billed to used car lot: $442.15. OUCH!

2. The service adviser that "assisted" me was cordial, but she was pretty robotic. She made no effort whatsoever to get to know me, engage me, or endear herself and/or her service department to me.

3. On line item "F", the invoice I was handed stated the following: "Advised of Future Service Needs". I was never advised of a darned thing. That was pretty lame.

4. On line item "C", the invoice also stated "Dirty-Unable to Inspect" "Blem Walk Around".

5. On line item "E", it lists a "Courtesy Wash".

I'm not even going to frustrate myself by explaining my issues with 4 and 5 above. If you want, you can figure that one out. Sheesh.

lol - it had a courtesy wash but was too dirty to inspect! I hope nobody wonders why "Used-car salesman" have such a bad rap. It's a shame - I'm in the investments business and client satisfaction is WAY HIGH up on our list of important things. It would have been SO easy for the service advisor to earn your future business. Simply saying "You just bought a beautiful car! Let me book a 'new customer oil change & tire rotation for you for next month' might have won you over.

When we bought our used '05 from a dealer, it was the same-old silly "make an offer, sign your offer, let me talk to the manager, the manager offered this because we think the car is fairly priced" crap. We sat down & I explained to the sales guy (who knew nothing about Jaguars - which is another peeve of mine) that I know all about the psychology of sales; the longer we stay there, the more we feel like we own the car; when I "sign my offer" it feels like i own the car more, the longer we stay there, the more resgined we are to accepting their offer, etc etc. We gave him a total of 2 offers (mostly because my first offer was $18000 on a listed price of 21,990 asking price and I felt kind of bad.) Maybe they would have accepted it, maybe not, I'm not going to debate that now - it was what I had looked for for a long time, and I've reached a point in my life where I don't mind paying maybe a little more for something if I really want it. We also made it clear several times that $19k was the highest we'll pay, period. Same old crap - fold the offer paper in half with a counter-offer. Just silly.

I even talked to the sales guy afterward & said "Why do you do that?" He told me they MUST do it that way or they won't stay on the sales team.

Anyway - it's kind of a shame it has to be this way, but it's not going to change anytime soon. Years ago, I felt Saturn had the answer - no-negotiation prices. Kinda like the grocery store - you can pay the price listed or you can go someplace else. I just don't like negotiations like that. Especially when my young daughter saw the fold-down picnic tables and said, in front of the salesperson, "Oh my gosh dad! You HAVE to buy this car NO MATTER WHAT!"

Old 10-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Especially when my young daughter saw the fold-down picnic tables and said, in front of the salesperson, "Oh my gosh dad! You HAVE to buy this car NO MATTER WHAT!"
Isn't it always those little things that are the deciders ? Jaguar know how to please the ladies. (and a few others like me).

When I was buying my XJ6 Sport, the salesman pointed out the retracting seats on exit, the all-ways adjustable steering wheel, and the electrically adjustable pedals, (for God's sake !!). I just lapped it up, but now I've had the car for nearly 18 months, I find I never use the things

Old 10-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

you completely missed my point. Caveat Emptor is always the order of the day. I bought the car knowing that the car didn't have all keys, and I got the car lot to make good on an inaccurate claim.

My R is in great shape. I have no complaints with it or the lot I bought it from. My complaints lie with The Jag dealer, and with your attitude, 04XJ8. But thankfully, your gruff post is the exception rather than the rule. Almost everyone else here has been very gracious to me. Maybe you're just having a bad hair day. Please relax.
I think you are nitpicking. Yes, I do think you were in the right to get the keys that were promised to you, but I think you should've also fought for the valet key. I would not buy a car that did not come with the full complement of keys. The valet comes in handy for valet parking, which is what you'll be doing when you're pulling up to the Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton.

As for the carwash, I'd rather not have the dealer touch the car's exterior anyway--dealership "detailer" hacks can do a lot more bad than good.

Maybe I just have lower expectations than you, but I don't need to be pampered with friendly smiling people, and I don't need them to go through the motions of all these ridiculous formalities like showing me all the features and "advising me of future service needs". All I need them to do is get me the car at the price they promised me and get me out the door!

Old 10-28-2011, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was not impressed with the dealership when I came in for some possible work a year ago. I could care less about the amenities if you fix my car right. My favorite truck mechanic? A guy with his own garage, that sits me down on a upside down milk crate and discusses the whys and wherefores of my old truck.

Park place sure was pretty with coffee service and comfy chairs and came up with a repair estimate that was 3/4 the used value of my car, then encouraged me to talk to a salesman.

Oh and the estimate?.?.? Yeah well there were things that did nto cover what I brought the car in for, their solutions would not address the service engine light code (i had done research with two other mechanics, one was a jag mech, as well as online)

When I asked about the service engine light they said oh well they could not say if their repairs would keep the light off as it could turn on again the next day.

Did they not listen to me when i came in, told them about the codes and the car history???

I was not impressed

Old 10-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,379 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
As for the carwash, I'd rather not have the dealer touch the car's exterior anyway--dealership "detailer" hacks can do a lot more bad than good.
Oh the horror stories I could tell you!

Old 10-28-2011, 11:15 AM

Perhaps they could all sense that I would never set foot in their building unless I had bent the used car lot over on the remote?

Old 10-29-2011, 08:29 AM

Unfortunately They gave me a rather strong distaste of dealerships again. I have had one dealership I respected and loved. The owners knew their customers. Their personal motto --- We want to be able to meet our customers in public.

I was having trouble with my Jeep I had bought from them and they knew that I had a long commute past their farm house - gave me directions - their phone numbers and said if I ever had to I could pull in and get the farm jeep to get me safely home. That is an extreme example of a dealership going way out of the way.

I guess the good part for me is that Park Place seems to be treating males as poorly as they treat women.

idontcook
04 x type 3.0

Old 10-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Idontcook
I guess the good part for me is that Park Place seems to be treating males as poorly as they treat women.
idontcook
04 x type 3.0
I'm curious how this makes your lot better?

Old 10-29-2011, 12:01 PM

There are many times I have spoken to various men at dealerships in service departments etc and been talked down too. My husband did not get the same response.

Finding that men do at times get that response made me feel slightly less _________.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member

Just curious about your line of thinking. So you weren't truly taking joy that men you don't know were being treated poorly at the dealership? Only comfort that you hadn't been singled out for particular treatment?

From my perspective...I only consider it "good for me" that someone else is being mistreated if I consider the recipient of the mistreatment an enemy.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Although my Wife is not a member of this Forum, after seeing the foregoing thread, she is SEEING red. I'll attempt to summarize (and I agree): "given the way Women have been mistreated throughout history, it's not entirely bad when once in a while, the shoe's on the other foot".

Old 10-31-2011, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

Too long ago to remember the finer details...but once heard a story about an old Russian collective farmer who found a rusty lamp in the field. Taking a fancy to shine it up in an effort to brighten his dreary life, the farmer commenced rubbing the dirt and rust from it. Suddenly, a genie sprang forth with the message that he'd grant the old man one wish, any wish! but...there was a caveat - "Whatever you wish for, I'll grant your neighbor a double portion, so choose wisely old man." The old codger struck a thoughtful pose for all of 30 seconds or so, rubbed his grizzled chin, and told his genie, "Make me blind in one eye!"

Old 11-01-2011, 01:11 AM

please call me when you fire up your CJ. I'll make the trip out University Dr. for that!

Old 11-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

please call me when you fire up your CJ. I'll make the trip out University Dr. for that!
Hehe...you can probably come out the newly remodeled 820 by then!!! I've got it covered in stuff and can't even get to it right now...it may be awhile.....but will let you know, for sure!