XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Factory Nav retrofit on 2004 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Nav retrofit on 2004 XJR

I'm new here, guys. Just got my 04 XJR no NAV, I saw that somebody did retrofit a fctory nav. Can you reply, please, and advise with this project.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out a car with Jaguar Nav. to be sure you can use it first. I find it totally useless and out of date in the area I live. My friends really laugh at me when I get out and use my Tom Tom and leave the screen blank on the factory Nav unit.

brdave

Old 11-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Default Nav?

I am debating myself about factory unit and aftermarket. I just don't like it to look aftermarket, you know what i mean! But functuionality is important too.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Yes, it can be done and has been done. Expect
Great expense and substantial mods to a/c, harnesses, etc. since major vehicle controls are handled through the touch screen. No plug n play.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:32 PM

Where can I get a hood badge for my 04 xj8, it seems people are going around stealing the leapers in my area?

Old 11-10-2011, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Sorry about that badge, you can try these sources

www.nalleyjaguar.com

www.gaudinjaguarparts.com

PARK PLACE

www.jagbits.com

www.motorcarsltd.com

and

www.ebay.com

Old 12-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Default Nav on an '06 XJ8

I thought I'd jump in on this thread since I also want to put a factory nav system on my car. My mechanic says the wiring harness and connectors should be in the car from the factory. Anyone had experience with this mod?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default nav

I went aftermarket on my 06 xj8. bought the harness plug adapter so I didn't have to hack up the factory wiring. About 20 bucks for that. My system also is ipod controler, cd player and can play mp3 files from an sd chip that plugs in the front. And it is blue tooth for the phone which is really nice.
I saw the write ups about doing a factory system and it was WAY more than i wanted to get into. Like the above posts about a/c system control and what not.
fwiw
Chad

Old 12-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Pics please and steps you took to install.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Aftermarket is better and cheaper than OEM

Old 12-17-2011, 02:10 PM

What have you guys found to be the best aftermarket nav system. It sounds like one with Bluetooth and Pod interface sounds good.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Just wanted to chime in on the OEM retrofit;

- The OEM system is basically the same as what's in the S-Type & X-Type (not exactly the same, but similar)
- The retrofit has been done in literally dozens of X-Types, and there is a wiring diagram available for a special retrofit wiring loom.
- The XJ X350 might be a little more complicated, because of extra functions through the touchscreen (locking, mirrors, etc) but...

It should be possible.

Regarding the cost & is it worthwhile...that's another story. Plenty of arguments both sides for & against.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile pros n cons

[
Regarding the cost & is it worthwhile...that's another story. Plenty of arguments both sides for & against.

[/QUOTE]

sure there are both. right now the technology for the nav is at least 10 years old if they were engineering in advance (9 if it was being tweaked which I'm sure it was when in pre production). The new nav units are way better than the stuff they were using 10 years ago. I kept my old stereo. wrapped it up and stowed it inside the house. used a connection plug for the jag harness so I didn't have to cut wires. also had to purchase an antenna adapter now that I think of it. IF I ever sell this car (I'm so happy with this car my wife will probably get to drive it in my funeral caravan) I can return everything to factory built in about two hours. the systems been in the car for 2 1/2 years already. in another year or two I may put in a more current system since the technology moves so quickly now.
sorry I don't have the pictures on this laptop and I'm out of town but I'll see if I can dig them up over the holidays when I get home.
but yes you can retrofit a factory system if you want to.

Last edited by chadmc5c; 12-18-2011 at 04:34 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 12-18-2011, 05:05 PM

I don't want to push one idea or the other....
Just wanted to say, that yes it's possible, and if someone really wants to do it, then I might be able to help with information.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chadmc5c
[

sure there are both. right now the technology for the nav is at least 10 years old if they were engineering in advance (9 if it was being tweaked which I'm sure it was when in pre production). The new nav units are way better than the stuff they were using 10 years ago. I kept my old stereo. wrapped it up and stowed it inside the house. used a connection plug for the jag harness so I didn't have to cut wires. also had to purchase an antenna adapter now that I think of it. IF I ever sell this car (I'm so happy with this car my wife will probably get to drive it in my funeral caravan) I can return everything to factory built in about two hours. the systems been in the car for 2 1/2 years already. in another year or two I may put in a more current system since the technology moves so quickly now.
sorry I don't have the pictures on this laptop and I'm out of town but I'll see if I can dig them up over the holidays when I get home.
but yes you can retrofit a factory system if you want to.[/quote]

+1 on pics and specs/parts thanks very much

Old 12-19-2011, 07:22 PM

Thank you all for entering in. Since I have all the parts including a full wiring harness out of an '06' XJ8, I would love to have any details, pics, directions, wiring diagrams, hints, or anything else. I would also be interested in the make and model plus contact info for any good aftermarket systems available. Thanks

Old 12-21-2011, 08:19 AM

Sorry to link to another forum but there is a massive thread on the retrofit into an X-Type on the UK forum Jaguar Forum.co.uk • View topic - Retrofitting touch screen sat nav controls

OK, so what you need is;

- Touchscreen from an X350 (not the same as X202 or X400)
- SatNav DVD module (apparently the same as the others, but some have had problems.
- External GPS Aerial
- Remote Climate Control Module
- CUSTOM wiring harness, instructions are included in that linked post.

One of the reasons why that post is 44 pages long is that a number of people have tried to re-use factory wiring harness' from donor cars, and they just do not work.

The custom harness as per those instructions is the only one that's worked on the X-Type so far.

Now, with the X350, there are extra functions in the touchscreen, i.e. doorlocking and folding mirrors, without going & checking the wiring diagrams, it might be that some additional wiring is needed.

You will need to get the specific Remote Climate Control Module for the X350. Maybe the S-Type one works since they both have Dual-Zone? Who knows...

One guy from jaguarforums.com did make the retrofit in his S-Type Jaguar Forum.co.uk • View topic - Retrofitting touch screen sat nav controls

Regarding the XJ, you probably won't be able to add the rear entertainment using the retrofit harness.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're interested I have both the touch screen head unit and navigation dvd reader that I'd like to sell

Mathew

Old 12-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Liz919
Where can I get a hood badge for my 04 xj8, it seems people are going around stealing the leapers in my area?

Not polite to steal a thread.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:19 PM
Default wiring harness adapter for ALpine

I decided to go with Alpine W900 nav unit. I think to a grade above factory unit. Does somebody know, if it will work with factory CD changer ( Alpine also) and where I can get a wiring harness adapter?
Thanks, guys!

Quick Reply: Factory Nav retrofit on 2004 XJR