XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Factory replacement front struts vs. Arnott question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Factory replacement front struts vs. Arnott question

Having learned alot from the many existing threads on this topic, the answer to my specific situation remains unanswered.

The 2004 XJR that I just purchased came with a service record that shows the front struts replaced at the Jag dealership in Jan. 2010 and 56000 miles...the car currently has 71000. The charge was 2438. parts and 430 labor.

A local shop owner has stated that these replacements from Jag are worse then the originals and that they will be failing soon. Hes obviously a fan of the Arnotts and offers to replace both for the cost of one OEM at the dealership.

Not being one who has stuff fixed before there's a problem it is an interesting point to float out here. Your thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited by smoothy; 03-08-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My XJR has 3 Arnotts and one OE. My local main dealer has a mechanic who is really good, when my car was in last year he let me go underneath to see what was going on and we looked at the air shocks in his opinion the Arnotts are as good if not better than the OE ones. Arnott do various versions now so worth contacting them when needed. Arnotdoug on here is Arnott I think so any questions, you can PM him.

The following users liked this post:
smoothy (03-10-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by smoothy
Having learned alot from the many existing threads on this topic, the answer to my specific situation remains unanswered.

The 2004 XJR that I just purchased came with a service record that shows the front struts replaced at the Jag dealership in Jan. 2010 and 56000 miles...the car currently has 71000. The charge was 2438. parts and 430 labor.

A local shop owner has stated that these replacements from Jag are worse then the originals and that they will be failing soon. Hes obviously a fan of the Arnotts and offers to replave both for the cost of one OEM at the dealership.

Not being one who has stuff fixed before there's a problem it is an interesting point to float out here. Your thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

I purchased my car in October 2011. Everything worked perfectly on the car up to when the cold weather came. I then noticed that the front air shocks were losing air a lot quicker than I believed they should. Must say that when the compressor started, it immediately brought the car up to the correct driving height but having the car sink just as soon as I switched it off bothered me quite a bit.

I decided to purchase a set of modified front air shocks from Arnotts and I fitted them during the summer months of 2012. I then waited in anticipation for this winter to come to see if I had solved the problem. Pleased to say that the car now holds it ride height for about a week or two before losing any height and it drives beautifully.

I would never consider using the alternative of spring over shocks. You sacrifice so much when doing so. Besides you are not saving very much in costs compared to replacing all four air shocks. As well, maintaining the compressor seems to me to be such a small task to look after in order to preserve the quality of ride the car was designed and built to give.

smoothy (03-10-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Front air shocks.

Your oem units will last another 50,000 miles or 6 yrs at current rate.
Suggest you drive in peace and then deal with replacement when the fault light starts showing up. Probably in 2018 or so.

I have 3 originals and one rf arnott. Works perfect. 2005 Vdp 53,000.
Will replace the lf with arnott when the red light "too low" comes on.

Peddlarbob is right. Nice post.

smoothy (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your detailed comments are helpful and I agree that when needed the Arnott is the way to go. Why this local British car repair shop owner would imply that the two factory oem replacements already on this car are "worse then the originals" is a mystery.

Another brief question guys...after driving with people in the back seat, just following ignition off, the compressor starts up and adjusts the car height. This is correct operation right?

Thanks again for sharing your stories,
Doug

Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by smoothy
Your detailed comments are helpful and I agree that when needed the Arnott is the way to go. Why this local British car repair shop owner would imply that the two factory oem replacements already on this car are "worse then the originals" is a mystery.

Another brief question guys...after driving with people in the back seat, just following ignition off, the compressor starts up and adjusts the car height. This is correct operation right?

Thanks again for sharing your stories,
Doug
Correct.

The compressor will refill the reservoir when below a specified pressure.
Sometimes it comes on right away other times will not.

smoothy (03-11-2013)