XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

factory warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 281 Posts
Default factory warranty

The original warranty on an '06 would have been 4 year/50k miles? Looking at buying a car with 57k and was told the original owner has until April remaining on the warranty. Would that have to be an extended warranty he purchased?

Does anyone know what all that covers? Just drivetrain, or bumper to bumper?

I looked it over today, has the torn rear control arm bushing and sway link boots. Drove fine otherwise, no noise from the rear suspension, but those will not last much longer with the grease falling out.

Thanks,
-Michael

Old 01-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mhamilton
The original warranty on an '06 would have been 4 year/50k miles? Looking at buying a car with 57k and was told the original owner has until April remaining on the warranty. Would that have to be an extended warranty he purchased?

Does anyone know what all that covers? Just drivetrain, or bumper to bumper?

I looked it over today, has the torn rear control arm bushing and sway link boots. Drove fine otherwise, no noise from the rear suspension, but those will not last much longer with the grease falling out.

Thanks,
-Michael

Michael.Cannot talk about the warranty but with the torn boots that is normal for anyof the cars. Seems that the material used for these has a tendency to gobrittle and split on all the cars. I think you would be extremely lucky if youfound one without split boots. Would tend to make you believe they have justbeen changed.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, it seems that all the cars I've looked at have the same issue. Is that the same on the front control arm bushings? I didn't notice anything up front that looked like this.

How long do they last for? I assume most people leave them alone until the grease comes out and the bushings start clunking?

Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mhamilton
Yes, it seems that all the cars I've looked at have the same issue. Is that the same on the front control arm bushings? I didn't notice anything up front that looked like this.

How long do they last for? I assume most people leave them alone until the grease comes out and the bushings start clunking?
No I think the truth is that most people don't even notice them until they start clunking. My 2005 is a low mileage car and they had gone on mine already. I hunted around until I found some replacement aftermarket covers because the ball joints were still good and so I did not want to change them.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Oh that's good news--what did you buy to replace the sway link boots?

I guess the control arm bushings just have to get replaced with the complete LCA assembly?

Hopefully it will at least give me a bit of a bargaining position. Some other minor defects as well, I'm sure if he still had full warranty these would have been fixed (fog light trim, ignition switch trim, etc)