XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Fan noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mhamilton
Switch it with the spare rim (assuming yours are 5 matched).
Check it as well before bothering to swap rubber. 'Usually' one finds the wheel the spare is on already damaged, having had that very thing done in a previous go. That said, it may NOW be an improvement.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

well they are matched only problem is the 4 mains have been refurbished so the paint looks odd but I know a place that may be able to help me. If not I fancy 4 front X351 Toba alloys

Old 08-15-2013, 04:51 AM

got the car in yesterday morning car have propshaft sent off for a new centre bearing and rear coupling while the gearbox is serviced so should be a few days total cost is going to be around 430 of the queens pounds not sure what that is in US land but hey I am happy

Old 08-15-2013, 10:29 AM

just a quick update had a call from the auto gearbox place saying the prop shaft people have phone saying the bearing is on and they are about to balance the prop. But they also passed off that the spline show some signs of wear. Is this a common problem I haven't heard about many jag owners complain of worn out propshafts. I mean the guy did say the company they use are very very good and say every little thing they find to cover their own asses. But like the guy said on the phone cant be too bad as how worn should a car with only 60k on the clock be. Just have that horrible feeling now that this is what caused the bearing to go, although I would like it to be the bearing that caused the splines to have worn slightly. Just feel bad as I had to give the go ahead on the work and they wont know if it will affect anything till they have finished balancing it. Just feel as I have a 06 STR sat on the drive way at my fathers house waiting for a new owner I may have to part company with the XJ.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Received 184 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by James Lewis
Just have that horrible feeling now that this is what caused the bearing to go, although I would like it to be the bearing that caused the splines to have worn slightly. Just feel bad as I had to give the go ahead on the work and they wont know if it will affect anything till they have finished balancing it.
Never did one on a Jaguar, but the rig is common to many things, so, yes, the bearing is more likely to have been effect, not cause, and yes, one replaces both as a matter of course.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:20 AM

went to the garage yesterday and spoke to them, the spline has a poly type fitting on it that with heat has shrunk. So the propshaft people are soaking it in grease and all should be well but a new prop is going to be 1000GBP which is a nice thought. But on the other hand got the car valued and is worth more than I thought it was so think after getting a respray a few months ago and all the other things this may be the last push then I shall have a few nice big cat. Also had a look at an XF yesterday and just didn't feel the same as my older car

Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 AM

phoned up today to find out what is happening and prop balanced up like a dream and the bearing was totally shot. So they said no worry about the splines apparently the company was being **** and is in good condition just they are used to dealing with race cars. Should have it back tomorrow night after they finish the gearbox service. so hopefully that is my noise I have been dreading the last few days that I would have to look at another car because spending another thousand on the prop along with the respary alloy refurb engine service all the other jobs adds up to half the value of the car and its killing me

Old 08-22-2013, 06:06 PM

No more noise completely gone thank god and gearbox is silky smooth not that it wasn't before. Found my rear wheel is 145mm across and 150mm up so very bent, put spare on but still have vibration car hates me.