XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Fast chime

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Fast chime

Have not driven car in a month. Today took for a short drive.
Getting a fast chime when moving. Different than seat belt or proximity sensors.no lights and scans showed nothing.
Expected a message. But all looks normal.

Thanks

Old 02-08-2024, 08:19 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Could the parking brake still be engaged?

Old 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Default Maybe

The parking brake is not working properly. Luckily it is off. Message shows it cannot set.
I have had it set with the brake on twice. Luckily now I depress the brake lever before removing the key. So if it quits working it is off.
Never had it chime before. It will start working again.
I might have created this. Replaced a battery last week. Disconnected battery while replacing an air strut yesterday.
Did not drive after replacing the strut. Today I get the fast chime at over 5 mph.
Should I try a hard reset to see if that “fixes” the problem?

Old 02-08-2024, 11:32 PM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry. No idea. I'll stay tuned!

Old 02-09-2024, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 637 Posts

Yes try hard reset-may affect adaptations for a while

Old 02-09-2024, 04:36 PM
Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

I got that when I replaced my battery. I was always getting "Cannot set parkbrake" or worse, "cannot release parkbrake" (If I'd forgotten to press the handle down while removing the key) along with "Cruise not available."

I replaced the battery because the forum told me that these are low-voltage symptoms. I did not fully charge my battery, just connected it up and started. No warnings, but I also did not get the "Apply footbrake and parkbrake" message, so the parkbrake was uncalibrated, and I got the fast chime.

After hooking up a charger for an hour or so, I did get the parkbrake initilization prompt, and after doing so, the fast chime went away.

If you weren't prompted to apply footbrake and parkbrake on the first start after reconnecting the battery, then you may still be just a bit weak in the voltage department.

My thread about it here.

Old 02-09-2024, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wfooshee
I got that when I replaced my battery. I was always getting "Cannot set parkbrake" or worse, "cannot release parkbrake" (If I'd forgotten to press the handle down while removing the key) along with "Cruise not available."

I replaced the battery because the forum told me that these are low-voltage symptoms. I did not fully charge my battery, just connected it up and started. No warnings, but I also did not get the "Apply footbrake and parkbrake" message, so the parkbrake was uncalibrated, and I got the fast chime.

After hooking up a charger for an hour or so, I did get the parkbrake initilization prompt, and after doing so, the fast chime went away.

If you weren't prompted to apply footbrake and parkbrake on the first start after reconnecting the battery, then you may still be just a bit weak in the voltage department.

My thread about it here.

Never gotten the parking brake initialization message. How do I perform this to Stop he chimes?

George

Old 02-10-2024, 10:30 AM

On startup, it should prompt you, and you press the footbrake and pull up the parkbrake handle, then release it, and all should be well. But if it's not prompting you, something's wrong. Do you still get "Cannot set parkbrake?"

Looking at my post, I didn't get the prompt to initialize the parkbrake until I'd had it on the charger for a while.

Old 02-10-2024, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Default Might have to check Module.

I have an issue with Parking brake module malfunctioning after heavy rain. Tried finding leak, never seen any water in trunk. Might run down fender and out.
Been fighting this for two years. Just figured out to depress parking brake button before removing the key. That way if it craps out the brake is off.
Living in Houston I never need parking brake. Only if on Gorilla ramps and I then chock the wheels.
If I this coming I would have pulled rear electronics control module to get to the parking brake module while trunk was out this week. Pulled liners to swap an air strut.
Thinking once sorted may move on. Driving it is a pleasure. But have an 2005 A8 that needs some TLC and have lost desire to keep two aging luxury cars up.
But getting rid of the chime is problem at hand.

Old 02-10-2024, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Panelhead
... But have an 2005 A8 that needs some TLC and have lost desire to keep two aging luxury cars up.
But getting rid of the chime is problem at hand.
I looked at a couple of A8s before I bought the Jag. I came ever-so-close on one of them! Really nice cars!!!

Old 02-14-2024, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

I am the best Jaguar mechanic in Houston!!!
Pulled the Parking Brake Module twice yesterday. Cleaned contacts both times. Cleaned and reseated the four plugs on the Rear Electronics Module. Cleaned the big ground lug in the trunk.
No change. Drove forty miles today and stopped for gas. Restarting after I pressed brake and pulled lever to set brake. Parking brake light illuminated on the dash. Pushed down to release and light went out.
Now I get the Parking Brake Failure light. Then “Depress Brake and Parking Brake” continuously. But parking brake is off. And no chimes!

Old 02-14-2024, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Default Parking Brake Module location

In my 2006 XJR the Module is on passenger side quarter panel. At back, next to taillight. Had to remove the Rear Electronics Module and Sirius Radio Module to even see the Parking Brake Module. Remove one nut and slide up to free a lug to remove.
Looked on eBay to make sure I had correct module. Most for sale had a different model number.

Last edited by Panelhead; 02-14-2024 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Spelling