XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Fault code B2139 Data mismatch

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 10:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fault code B2139 Data mismatch

Hello, some short time ago I started to receive couple of fault codes that I read by my SDD v151 and for which I think that are connected:
1. B2139 Data mismatch (further explanation: Engine control module identification does not match instrument cluster. System: instrumentation. Control module: instrument pack. Possible causes: Reconfigure instrument cluster)
2. B2162 Right side module invalid identification (further description: Data error (between the instrument cluster and rear electronic module. Control module: rear electronic module. Possible causes: Reconfigure rear electronic module.
3. B1940-24 and B1940-25 Seat memory position out of range. For these I don't know why because everything is working in reality.

I also receive Bus communication fault which can be different each time that I read fault coded and without any description provided by SDD.
I also noticed that moving of pedals is also not working any more. Moving of steering column is OK and easy entry also works.

When I erase that fault codes, turn on the car, and then re-read codes, all above are gone, except these in relation to seat memory position. After couple of days of driving the codes related to instrument pack and rear electronic module occur again. I didn't noticed any strange behaviour of my car, it is just like I have some gremlins in the electronic system. I could re-program instrument pack and rear electronic module by SDD using the option new module configuration, however I'm not so convinced that this will resolve the situation and there is possibility to have module break down. And I don't have reserve ones, so.... not enough brave to make this step at the moment, especially as there is no any changes in my car behaviour.

Any experiences on above or thoughts?

Old 09-25-2022, 05:03 PM
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

The error codes indicate an intermittent communication problem with the IC module, but the errors detected do not appear to lead to vehicle malfunctions.
The driver door module, instrument cluster, ECM, rear electronic module and other control units must communicate with each other to ensure unlocking of the doors, disabling of the alarm system, recognition of the key code, deactivating of the steering wheel lock and activation of the ECM. As long as this all works I wouldn't do anything, certainly not try to reconfigure one of the controle modules with SDD and a clone interface.

Fritz

The following users liked this post:
jugo (09-26-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 05:28 PM
Received 8,251 Likes on 4,976 Posts

If you do decide to reconfigure some modules, PLEASE download/save your VID block so you have a back-up starting point if something fails?

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
jugo (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by flatsix
The error codes indicate an intermittent communication problem with the IC module, but the errors detected do not appear to lead to vehicle malfunctions.
The driver door module, instrument cluster, ECM, rear electronic module and other control units must communicate with each other to ensure unlocking of the doors, disabling of the alarm system, recognition of the key code, deactivating of the steering wheel lock and activation of the ECM. As long as this all works I wouldn't do anything, certainly not try to reconfigure one of the controle modules with SDD and a clone interface.

Fritz
I have the same opinion. Don't touch anything if it's working. The one more thing that I will check during this week is health of my battery. It is already 3 years old and there is possibility that is not working efficiently as new one, that can be also one of the causes, I assume. Anyway I plan to replace it an as winter is coming which is the death sentence for bad batteries .

Once I replace and test it for possible fault codes, I will update the thread with the news.

Thank you!

Old 09-26-2022, 03:04 AM

Thank you for this info, I will go through it, however I'm not planning to do any reconfiguration at this point as everything is working as it should.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:47 AM
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

The battery should have 12.5V, with the starter spinning no less than 10.5V.
If you are working on the battery, remove the spare wheel and check the bolting of the three main fuses (black plastic cover secured with cable ties) and the various ground points in the trunk.
​​​​​​
Fritz