XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

fault code reader

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 12:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default fault code reader

i have a fault code reader that only reads engine faults but i need one that reads all faults including abs and air suspension , been looking at this one on ebay , does anyone know if they are any good?http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODQzWDc0NQ==/z/X-0AAOSwKrhVeBNC/$_57.GIF

Old 08-13-2015, 12:44 PM
Received 13,204 Likes on 6,553 Posts

Hi fingers,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

I have the iCarsoft i930 BMW version and it works reasonably well, and after I updated the software it was able to read and clear ABS codes on our '04 325i.

However, search this forum for terms like iCarsoft and i930 because I know of at least one member in the X308 forum, Jim Lombardi, who purchased the Jaguar version of the i930 and had mixed reviews.

You should also search the forum for the term SDD, which is the dealer-level software-based diagnostic system.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (09-11-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 01:08 PM

thanks don , will do

Old 08-18-2015, 09:29 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

Mongoose JLR & SDD system will offer everything you need for your car and relatively cheap for the chinese knock off version of $42.
I just got mine, but you will need a laptop to run it on and it's a nightmare to setup, but once done it works well.

However, if I had to do it again, I would buy the Mongoose JLR Pro model for the extra $20 bucks.

The downside of course is that it can only be used on Jags and Land Rovers. Where as an intelligent OBD2 reader can be used on many different vehicles.

The following 2 users liked this post by trosty:
harvest14 (08-19-2015), philwarner (09-11-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 04:32 AM

Hi trost
How hard is it to set up as I'm not really to hot on computers, do you know of a decent hand held straight forward plug in type that reads most codes ?

Old 08-19-2015, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

Will the Mongoose JLR Pro & SDD system also work on my 2001 XJ8 (x308)? I will probably order one for my wife's X350, but it appears from the specifications that it won't work on my X308. I am hoping I am reading it wrong.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:37 AM

I see from the Mongoose Pro JLR website that they support the following Jaguar models
:
Support for X100, X150, X202, X250, X350, X351, X400 Jaguar vehicle lines.

Drew Technologies : Introduction

Old 08-19-2015, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by fingers
Hi trost
How hard is it to set up as I'm not really to hot on computers, do you know of a decent hand held straight forward plug in type that reads most codes ?
Well, if you are not computer literate there are many people who can offer help when installing; you just have to ask.

I have reinstalled it many times now because I want to add other specific programmes to the laptop like JTIS and EPC. It does take a while but is well worth it.

There are also many help threads on here and on youtube that will point you in the right direction.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:13 AM
Received 226 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by trosty
However, if I had to do it again, I would buy the Mongoose JLR Pro model for the extra $20 bucks.
Trosty,

I thought you had a Pro model; see your screenshot

fault code reader-image2.jpg

Old 08-19-2015, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by hafren
Trosty,

I thought you had a Pro model; see your screenshot

Attachment 117271
No I have the cheapo Sp116 version, The pro version is SP205 (however I can't see or tell what the differences are!!). I expect the version on the print screen comes from the mongoose JLR windows driver set. Both the pro and non-pro version use the same windows drivers.

More info can be found here:
Search Result: JLR Scanner

Old 08-19-2015, 07:35 PM

I bought from the same supplier albeit earlier & it came with SDD 138. Mine was just the regular mongoose but it wont recognize/use the original mongoose drivers only the pro drivers, they are different. I also looked at the images on their website and the QC numbers shown for SP 116 are QC31114-006 and the Pro versions SP 205/205b are QC41226-002. My QC number is QC40923-002.

While I cannot be sure I have the strong suspicion that they delivered a Pro version even though they list it as a regular. My 2 cents.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:51 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I bought my mongoose clone from British Diagnostics, they offer full installation support as well as after. may be slightly dearer than chinese clones direct but at least you have someone in UK to talk to if you have problems?

Buy Now | Jaguar & Land Rover Diagnostics Equipment

Old 08-21-2015, 12:18 PM

Well, if you are not computer literate there are many people who can offer help when installing; you just have to ask.

I have reinstalled it many times now because I want to add other specific programmes to the laptop like JTIS and EPC. It does take a while but is well worth it.

There are also many help threads on here and on youtube that will point you in the right direction.
hi trosty,
ive just been on british diagnostics website and sat through a couple of set up/tutorial videos about this ids,sdd thing that you were on about, what a piece of kit and doesn`t look too difficult either , even for me, i think i shall give it a try

Old 09-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Mongoose JLR & SDD system will offer everything you need for your car and relatively cheap for the chinese knock off version of $42.
I just got mine, but you will need a laptop to run it on and it's a nightmare to setup, but once done it works well.

The downside of course is that it can only be used on Jags and Land Rovers. Where as an intelligent OBD2 reader can be used on many different vehicles.
I have an 06 Super v8. Will it read air suspension codes if you get the "Air Suspension Fault" message? Do these codes stay in memory if the message is not present? Does it come with setup instructions? Thanks in advance

Old 09-11-2015, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi fingers,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

I have the iCarsoft i930 BMW version and it works reasonably well, and after I updated the software it was able to read and clear ABS codes on our '04 325i.

However, search this forum for terms like iCarsoft and i930 because I know of at least one member in the X308 forum, Jim Lombardi, who purchased the Jaguar version of the i930 and had mixed reviews.

You should also search the forum for the term SDD, which is the dealer-level software-based diagnostic system.

Cheers,

Don
So these are manufacturer specific? I see the one listed as a Jaguar unit on ebay today says land Rover on the picture in the listing. Same difference? The V142 JLR unit clone that works with a laptop looks interesting at $41 if both are Mfg specific.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by philwarner
Will it read air suspension codes if you get the "Air Suspension Fault" message?
Yes

Do these codes stay in memory if the message is not present?
Yes

Does it come with setup instructions?
Not from supplier but there is infomation available for your freindly forum members

philwarner (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 12:28 PM

I see the one listed as a Jaguar unit on ebay today says land Rover on the picture in the listing. Same difference? The V142 JLR unit clone that works with a laptop looks interesting at $41 if both are Mfg specific.
Yes JLR (Jaguar Land Rover) use the same system, same company

Old 09-11-2015, 12:28 PM

I have found that it does read all of the codes from all vehicle modules.

Using the current SDD version 1.42, will give you very, very limited access to the point where you can do nothing but read codes and do a code reset because more and more functionality have been transferred online to the TOPIX server.

If you can get an earlier version of SDD, I now have many earlier versions and install one of those and get it working the $42 for the Mongoose JLR is worth it.

I am trying many variations of SDD with Operating units and laptops to see what works well and what doesn't. More don't work than do tbh.

to answer your question, these are definitely manufacturer specific.

philwarner (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 01:28 PM

Yes

Yes

Not from supplier but there is infomation available for your freindly forum members
Yes JLR (Jaguar Land Rover) use the same system, same company
I have found that it does read all of the codes from all vehicle modules.

Using the current SDD version 1.42, will give you very, very limited access to the point where you can do nothing but read codes and do a code reset because more and more functionality have been transferred online to the TOPIX server.

If you can get an earlier version of SDD, I now have many earlier versions and install one of those and get it working the $42 for the Mongoose JLR is worth it.

I am trying many variations of SDD with Operating units and laptops to see what works well and what doesn't. More don't work than do tbh.

to answer your question, these are definitely manufacturer specific.
Thanks, guys,

I just odrered the Mongoose JLR (clone?) from UOBD2 - China Auto Diagnostic Tool Center for $41. Hoping once I solve the air suspension fault I won't need it often. The SV8 did have a CEL on when I bought it that turned out to be a disconnected PCV and no more engine codes since; Just the "air suspension fault" and the "check pressure spare tire" message because the car lot put in a spare without a sensor.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:25 PM
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I just did the same thing...
V142 JLR Mangoose SDD Pro for Jaguar and Land Rover
I hope that I don't have to use it often...

Quick Reply: fault code reader